Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

... and if we just ... [SOLVED] HELP!!! Clicking noise.

Hello bikers,
    I'm new to this forum so please bear with me. I have bought a Scott Voltage YZ30. I have travelled 2000km on it already and for the past 1000km I have been riding with this annoying clicking/ticking sound. It is like either something is trapped inside the frame or something is hitting it. It happens randomly and it very rapid in sets of 3 at a time.

I have tried swapping parts with my friends bike and the noise does not go away. Below is what I have swapped so far.

Pedals. (swapped with friend. )
    Bottom bracket. (bought a new one.)
    Sent both wheels for hub service. (new bearings in both wheels, swapped with friend also. )
    Lubed seat post. (remove saddle bag also, swapped with friend also.)
    Removed water bottle cage.
    Made sure front shifter is not hitting the pedals.
    Made sure shifters are aligned and they are working fine.
    Made sure disk brakes are aligned and no rubbing.
    Made sure tire side hairs are trimmed. (those little rubber spikes that are on above the tire wall.)
    Removed headlights and tail lights.
    Check that shoe lace is not hitting anything.

That's all I have done and I still can't eliminate it.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Solution:

The problem was a chain of different things.

The crank arm was loose very loose on the drive side.
    My chain was worn as hell.
    My seat was not set in the correct position. [not aligned with the teeth of the seat post.] [simple terms it's vertical alignment was not correct, not sitting firmly on the post.]

How I find all this problems? Took it down to a friendly bike mechanic. Charged me about 20 SGD.

I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to respond to this post.

Cheers to many more kilometres.
    Last edited by Voltagebiker; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Are you using a bike computer? I have had that little magnet that is on the spokes get moved ever so slightly and would hear it only when I was out of the saddle pedaling hard.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yes I have a speedometer. That has the magnet thing on my spokes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I had that on my specialized epic couldn't track it down, it went away for about 2 weeks after I pulled the linkage apart and checked all the bearings, lubed em etc. Then it came back, turned out to be the RD hanger, was working itself a bit loose but as it was being held by the axle it wasn't moving or affecting the shifting just making irritating clicking noise. loctite 243 (blue) sorted that out

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Will check that out. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I removed the magnetic strip. I also checked that the RD hanger is secure.

It's late now where I am and will take it for a ride tomorrow and see how it goes.

Brackish

Re: HELP!!! Clicking noise.

Is your seatpost dry or greased? Grit in a dry seat tube can cause weird ticking and creaking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    As mentioned above it is greased/lubed. I'll check for dirt inside. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    start her, you missed a couple of things to check.
    Creaks, Clicks & Clunks

last noise on my bike was ring bolt not oilednafter washing the bike.

not alway obvious. check the headset.

Quote Originally Posted by Voltagebiker View Post
    Hello bikers,
    I'm new to this forum so please bear with me. I have bought a Scott Voltage YZ30. I have travelled 2000km on it already and for the past 1000km I have been riding with this annoying clicking/ticking sound. It is like either something is trapped inside the frame or something is hitting it. It happens randomly and it very rapid in sets of 3 at a time.

I have tried swapping parts with my friends bike and the noise does not go away. Below is what I have swapped so far.

Pedals. (swapped with friend. )
    Bottom bracket. (bought a new one.)
    Sent both wheels for hub service. (new bearings in both wheels, swapped with friend also. )
    Lubed seat post. (remove saddle bag also, swapped with friend also.)
    Removed water bottle cage.
    Made sure front shifter is not hitting the pedals.
    Made sure shifters are aligned and they are working fine.
    Made sure disk brakes are aligned and no rubbing.
    Made sure tire side hairs are trimmed. (those little rubber spikes that are on above the tire wall.)
    Removed headlights and tail lights.
    Check that shoe lace is not hitting anything.

That's all I have done and I still can't eliminate it.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    For the longest time I had a creak that I was unable to locate. Took the whole bike apart to no avail.

On one good ride my whole freewheel mechanism broke apart. Replaced the freewheel hub and never heard the noise again.
    honda seatcovers
    winter warm and summer cool
    little lambs no more

mtbr member
    This helped me out when I had a noise.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xl-C2eIdN-U
    "Ideal bikes are not bought, they evolve beneath you"

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thank you, will watch it and see what I can do.

Unpredictable
    If there are a few rapid clicks and then nothing it may be a cable vibrating on the frame or handlebars.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hi, not to be rude or anything I have read Sheldon Brown's guide and Jim Langley's guide but the thing is both guides don't have the sound problem I'm facing. Like there is no 2-3 ticks per pedal rotation section. Perhaps you can help me out by referring me to a section which you think maybe appropriate in the link you referred me to.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hi, thanks for your reply. I could be wrong here, I have checked the nuts/bolts where the steerer & handle bar clamps and it's tight, I have also checked the headset adjustment bolt the small disk like thing that goes on top the steerer clamp. All are tight. Maybe there's something I missed?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I hoped to test my bike in the morning and it was raining will take it for a ride in the evening which is like in 4 hours time. I have done what some of you suggested and will see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ok, so I have just took the bike out for a ride an I'm back. I took out all the accessories (including the speedometer magnet on the wheel). I hear the noise when I pedal only. The sound happens in any gear combination. Here is a strange thing, when I hear the sound I stop pedalling for a sec or two. When I pedal again after the pause the sounds gone. Then when I stop pedalling either to change gear or just to coast the sound might come back. There is no 100% chance the sound might come back. However as mentioned above if the sound is heard I stop pedalling for a second or two and pedal again it goes away.

official eMpTyBRain
    If you are hearing it ONLY while turning the cranks, then you've likely got a few stiff chain links. Remove the chain and clean it with degreaser and then wipe it dry thoroughly. Carefully inspect every link for tightness. There should not be any after it's cleaned. Lube the chain carefully. Rotate the cranks a few dozen times to work the lube into the chain and then allow the lube to dry for an hour. After that, wipe the chain with a dry rag while turning the cranks.

Take it for a test ride. If the sound is gone, it was the chain. If the sound is not gone then I would suspect any the following:

*worn drive train- chain not meshing smoothly with gears
    *misaligned front or rear derailleur
    *bad/loose bottom bracket
    *loose chain ring bolts
    *loose cassette
    *cranked frame
    *seat post issue
    *pedal issue- bearings

Depending on how dry the environment is where you live, it may be necessary to lube your chain before every ride.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hi, thanks for replying. I'll get the chain cleaned along with the cassette. If not I'll slowly run trough the options you mention below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have got new lead. As Hawg replied above to check my chain for stiff links I can't see any visually. However I tried turning my pedals very carefully. I can feel clicks/ticks but could not hear it. I think it because I'm turning it under no load and slowly. I can feel them at three and nine o'clock positions. So it could be a stiff link. It could be something else. I felt it on both pedals and not one.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltagebiker View Post
    I have got new lead. As Hawg replied above to check my chain for stiff links I can't see any visually. However I tried turning my pedals very carefully. I can feel clicks/ticks but could not hear it. I think it because I'm turning it under no load and slowly. I can feel them at three and nine o'clock positions. So it could be a stiff link. It could be something else. I felt it on both pedals and not one.
    Drop the chain from the chain ring to relieve the tension and then move through the chain link by link, checking for tightness.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ok sure I'll check it later. Thanks for your prompt reply.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Idea!

Ok.... I think I may have just hit the jackpot. When I take the chain off the chain ring (referring to the front). My pedal does not have the clicky/ticky feel any more however when I put my chain back on the ring that feeling comes back. Here's another strange thing. On my front I have three rings, I cycle mostly on the middle and the biggest ring 98% of the time. When I put the chain on those two rings I get that clicky/ticky feeling. When I put the chain on the smallest ring it does not give me that feeling at all. Note that at this stage I'm turning the paddles by hand as mentioned in the recent above replies.

official eMpTyBRain
    That sounds like worn chain rings (middle and large) but do check the chain for stiff links. Stiff links will amplify any other issues.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yes I'm cleaning the chain and the rings now will check to see if it is dirt that's causing the problem. Also check for stiff links as you mentioned once I cleaned them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast