mtbr member

help buying a beginner's bike.

hello, all.

apologies in advance for the length of the post.

just wanted some input from you all.

I'm looking at a couple of bikes to purchase for an entry level trail riding bike. I won't be doing any incredibly aggressive riding. I just want to really learn and practice techniques and such.

anyhow... I'd like to purchase a bike. $350 max budget. I'm looking at two of them so far. I've attached the links/pictures.

I'm in Orange County so I'd like to purchase something locally. any other helpful comments and such are welcomed and appreciated.

thanks in advance!

this one is similar to a family members. he's selling it to me but I don't like buying stuff from family... just in case things happen later.

I was looking at this one... but not sure about the specs.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/3425221868.html

or there's this one... buuuut it's $400. and I'm horrible at negotiating pricing. haha. http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/3417237593.html

or this:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/3421163825.html

What region of the country do I live in? Southern California. Orange County.

Where do I plan to ride my new bike? Chino Hills. San Juan Capistrano. Newport Beach. PCH. for starters.

Are there any YouTube videos of the trails I plan to ride? honestly don't know. but nothing heavy. I'm thinking if it looks difficult... I'll walk it... then slowly ride it.

How much time do I plan on devoting to this hobby? every weekend is the plan. every other weekend at the very least.

What is my previous cycling experience? mountain biking? none.

Have I participated in other hobbies, sports or activities that may give me relevant skills? I'm a runner. not marathon runner... but I regularly run 12-16 miles a week.

What are my mechanical abilities? grew up around cars. dad's a mechanic. uncle use to own his own body shop.

Do I currently own a bike? no.

Do I currently own a helmet, gloves, padded shorts, proper shoes, Cyclocomputer, Finish line bike wash, Finishline brush kit, shop rags, chain lube, chain stay protector (I like Shelter), Gloves, good socks, solid tire pressure gauge, floor tire pump, on trail tire pump or cartridges, shock pump, good three way hex, mufti tool, spare bottles, cages, backpack to put all your gear in? camelbak is pretty much all I own. I'll have to buy everything. which is why I'm looking for a lower entry level bike and just work my way up.

Why do I want to buy a new bike? exercise. I want to be outdoors more. I occasionally get bored with running.

How much research have I already done and do I have an idea of what I want? I've read a lot of stuff on these forums. components are key. but I still have a difficult time rating components and finding good value.

Do I have friends who are into the hobby? What's their mechanical and riding experience? nope.

What kind of bikes do my riding buddies ride? N/A.

What kind of bikes do I see on the trails I plan to ride? (Full suspension, hardtail, rigid, single speed, geared) haven't been.

Can I really afford this hobby? Are my credit cards paid off? Do I have savings in the bank and money to burn? I want to start off easy. but I'm single with a full time job... so it's doable.

How much money do I want to spend on this hobby over the next year? hm. not much. I figure I'll still be a novice, really.

What am I trying to accomplish by participating in this hobby? a new hobby that's healthy and tires me out enough to where I just want to stay in for the night rather than go out... which is when I get into the most trouble.

How do I expect my life to be different a year from the day my new bike arrives? healthier. happier. meet a girl who likes biking and share this with her.

T.W.O.
    If it fits you then I'd go with the Yukon. Fullerton loop is another good trail to ride, check out the newbie ride on Sunday morning go to Socaltrailrider. See you on the trail.

At $350 you may be able to get a new old stock from your lbs(local bike shop) shop around.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hello prospective new rider!

I noticed the bikes you posted are size XL. Are you sure about your bike size? If not, go to a local bike shop and test ride a few bikes around the parking lot. Most shops will be really helpful in getting you sized up. If you ride a few different brands, you will also notice the geometry will be different i.e. seat hight, handle bar height. etc. Go to as many shops as you can. See who is the most helpful and who offers the best support and service.

I personally purchased new at a shop. The local shop was really helpful and gave me a great deal. I also like the fact that my bike (Giant Trance 3) has a lifetime warranty on the frame and 1 year warranty on components.

I don't have experience with any of the bikes you posted, but they all look great for your intended uses. When buying used, make sure to check the condition of the components i.e. chain, gear shifters, brake levers, chain wheel, cassette, etc. If everything rides smooth and shifts properly and it feels comfortable, go for it! You can also check Pinkbike.com for used bikes in your area.

I'm pretty new myself; I've only been really riding for about 1 year. I started on a used hard tail. I'm glad I did because I learned a lot before finally stepping up and buying a full suspension. Disclaimer: This is an addictive lifestyle! Once you get the hang of things and if you're interested in riding, you will want to step up to a higher end bike.

Cheers and good luck bike shopping!

mtbr member
    Test ride every bicycle! Buy bicycle that feels the best to you.

I like what sillywantos said- strarted on a hardtail.(You get insto respect from me) Ive been riding bikes for about 25 years now, sold thousands of bikes, fixed even more, and gotten many many people stoked on riding.

Hardtails are amazing machines, and you really feel everything that the bike does. I personally love hardtails, Ive owned many FS bikes over the years, but I always go back to hardtails. I am a trials rider by nature, so I love technical terrain- more tech the better. Its a lot easier to pedal up hills on a hardtail, but this has been changing over the years with the advancement in geo and tech, so really a lot of these new FS bikes ride like hardtails.

This is why you test ride every bike you can, and buy the one that you feel the most comfortable on. Dont feed into sales hype- ride what feels the best to you. One thing that has always pissed me off is when a bicycle shop get a new rider on a bicycle that they dont like but were pressured into it- Avoid those shops. Find the small

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywantos View Post
    Hello prospective new rider!

I noticed the bikes you posted are size XL. Are you sure about your bike size? If not, go to a local bike shop and test ride a few bikes around the parking lot. Most shops will be really helpful in getting you sized up. If you ride a few different brands, you will also notice the geometry will be different i.e. seat hight, handle bar height. etc. Go to as many shops as you can. See who is the most helpful and who offers the best support and service.

I personally purchased new at a shop. The local shop was really helpful and gave me a great deal. I also like the fact that my bike (Giant Trance 3) has a lifetime warranty on the frame and 1 year warranty on components.

I don't have experience with any of the bikes you posted, but they all look great for your intended uses. When buying used, make sure to check the condition of the components i.e. chain, gear shifters, brake levers, chain wheel, cassette, etc. If everything rides smooth and shifts properly and it feels comfortable, go for it! You can also check Pinkbike.com for used bikes in your area.

I'm pretty new myself; I've only been really riding for about 1 year. I started on a used hard tail. I'm glad I did because I learned a lot before finally stepping up and buying a full suspension. Disclaimer: This is an addictive lifestyle! Once you get the hang of things and if you're interested in riding, you will want to step up to a higher end bike.

Cheers and good luck bike shopping!

Good advice. Take it but don't go test ride at many lbs to find the right size for you and then buy one of CL, that's a no, no.

mtbr member
    thanks for the advice, all! and thanks for the info on the Fullerton loop.

as far as size, my uncle's friend has a 20 inch bike and a 18 inch bike. I feel more comfortable on the 20 inch so that's why I was looking at XL.

again, thanks.
    Last edited by iamunchien; 11-25-2012 at 08:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have a XL specialized epic that is near you(91354). You can have it for $450

It is a 2003 , has a working but could use a new front derailleur. Bike is in good condition. Brakes are a little bit tired.

Has new chain and cassette (<300 miles)

Comes with cycling computer and cheap pedals.

mtbr member
    Buy a used MTB off of Craigslist. Make certain that it fits, has no suspension fork issues, and rides nicely with no shifting problems.

Let your first MTB be a HT MTB. Once you've acclimated yourself to your first MTB, feel free to checkout bikesdirect.com.

Only get a new MTB that has lockout and disc brakes...
    God gave birds, wings to fly .... He gave us, Jamis!