mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Hello, everybody on the Forum

I been checking out the forum for a few days, so I thought I join..
    I have no mountain bike experience, except powered dirt bikes I rode as a kid.

I am 49 and looking to get into mountain bike trail riding nothing too serious at this point, just want to get on some hiking trails and do some riding for exercise. I won't be doing any racing just for fun. I think I would like something like a capable XC bike.

I have been looking at a used 2011 Trek Remedy 18.5 160mm fox full suspension. Stock except for mrp bashguard for around $1200.00.

I am also looking at a Kona Tanuki 2012 17" for around $1050.00 I am around 5' 11" tall.

I also interested in 29er's and learning a little about Fat Bikes they look fun also.
    TC

Hell Track
    Hello
    17" bike might be a bit small for you. 160mm is a lot of suspension for a beginner riding cross country. For a beginner looking to ride for fitness 29er hard tail might be a good option.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by crewjones View Post
    Hello
    17" bike might be a bit small for you. 160mm is a lot of suspension for a beginner riding cross country. For a beginner looking to ride for fitness 29er hard tail might be a good option.

Thanks for the reply, I know very little about bikes just some from what I have read recently, I need to keep reading. The full suspension is kinda just like eye candy to me!! and there seems to be allot a fuss about 29ers.

I like that some of the full suspensions can be locked out, so I guess that can save energy by locking out the rear suspension which is a plus, but I think it would help going down hill, but then again being a total beginner and 49, a rear suspension may not be advantageous at all for me. Plus imo those shocks are really over priced, mostly because it a niche market I guess, but would be expensive to replace.

So the Kona is out but maybe the trek remedy would be ok, even thou it's a little more for a professional rider or expert.

Hell Track
    If your budget allows, yes full sus is nice. But you don't need 160mm. it's overkill for cross country and it will be a heavy bike. Don't even listen to 29er vs. 26er vs. 27.5. just go with what bike feels right. All three wheel sizes are fine for a recreational rider.
    The kona in a larger size, like 19" would be nice. You also have to take into consideration where you will ride this bike, fire road, gnarly downhill trails, gravel roads, lots of big long climbs? where is the majority of your riding going to take place? Then decide the best tool for those trails

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You should go to some shops and test ride as many bikes as you can stand.If any friends /coworkers ride ask for their help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I recommend this bike listed under Hot Deals here on MTBR. It is often also listed on ebay at auction.
    2013 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er 19" MTB Hardtail Bike Shimano 9S Hydraulic Disc New | eBay
    Trail ready with a Raidon air fork and Shimano Alivio/Deore drive components.
    Good value at about 600.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thank you crewjones and rageridera.. My local shop had showed me a picture of some jamis bikes and had nothing in stock to ride.

How much suspension is proper for a 225lb recreational rider? I think the trails I would be riding would mostly be fairly sublime, but as with any trails going through the mountains and woods some would be what hikers rate as expert but I don't have to ride those.

Hell Track
    100mm -120mm should suffice. Suspension is not so much about how much you weigh but what terrain you'll be riding. Good quality suspension can be adjusted for your weight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I recommend this bike listed under Hot Deals here on MTBR. It is often also listed on ebay at auction.
    2013 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er 19" MTB Hardtail Bike Shimano 9S Hydraulic Disc New | eBay
    Trail ready with a Raidon air fork and Shimano Alivio/Deore drive components.
    Good value at about 600.
    That looks like it would work for me. 19" -- I am a little over 5' 10" with a 31" to 32"inseam. So I think that would be the perfect size. How heavy is it?

I read the carbon fiber frames are strong as hell and adsorb more of the shock of the trail. But the expense is high for them, they will probably be the norm in a few years as soon as more factories are tooled to make them. But that's another subject.

I think I will seriously consider buying the bobcat, at it's price I can't really lose much.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    19" will probably be too big for you. I'm 5'11" with a 33" in seem an my HT is a 17.5". Be careful I have made the mistake of getting a bike that was too big because it was on sale and regretted it. Since you're new I would go to a LBS and try as many different bikes as you can. As well if the shop is any good they should be able to change out stems and move the seat to get you dialled in before leaving.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan H View Post
    19" will probably be too big for you. I'm 5'11" with a 33" in seem an my HT is a 17.5". Be careful I have made the mistake of getting a bike that was too big because it was on sale and regretted it. Since you're new I would go to a LBS and try as many different bikes as you can. As well if the shop is any good they should be able to change out stems and move the seat to get you dialled in before leaving.
    Your right, I should be around and 17.5 or 18 definitely not a 19. It will be difficult to buy a bike with out trying it first, I need to find some more shops in the area. The one closest sells cannondale and jamis, I'll have to check back and see him on some hard tail options in a cannondale and check a few more stores that are close by.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    What about this bike it's a medium 2014 Cannodale Trail. How are the components.
    2014 Cannondale Trail 29er 7 Black Size Medium | eBay

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    FWIW: I got back into riding last year after taking MANY years off. Last year road a buddy's 26 HT. A very nice bike, and I had a ton of fun on it. Picked up a 2013 carbon Stumpy 26, size large, end of last season. (I'm 6'0, 32" inseam). What a difference!! OMG I love this bike.

If you have the financial means, I personally recommend getting a nice fs that fits - the squishy back end really adds to the fun factor.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    If you can afford it I would stick to your original budget of $1000-1200. This bike has very bottom end parts and you will find the limits of it very quickly even if you just want to use it for fitness (I know I did on the bike I regretted). With that budget you can get a good hard tail that won't need anything anytime soon and will be cheaper in the long run.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I just talked to someone about a 2009 Kona Dawg Supreme 18" Scandium. In my price range around $1200.00. I am around 5' 11" 225lbs. I thinks this might be a good all around XC and mountain bike. I don't know much about a Scandium frame? This is what the bike has
    Kona Dawg Supreme w/ Sram X9
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Frame: Kona Dawg Supreme Scandium 18
    Fork: Fox F100 RLT
    Rear Shock: Fox Float RP23
    Brakes: Avid Juicy 5 Hydraulic Disc
    Shifters: Sram X9
    Deraliurs: Sram X9
    Crank: Truvativ GXP Stylo
    Cassette: Sram
    Wheels: DT Swiss XR 4.1d
    Hubs: DT Swiss 340