Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Heath problem with mountain biking for men?

A year ago I bought a Remedy 8 and have been riding a lot on it. A few days ago I came across some reports that said cycling can be very bad for a mans sex life as it causes some "things" to stop working. So here are my questions:

Does the noseless saddle actually work and let you maintain control of the bike (these are known to be better for more comfort)?

What about the saddles that are open in the middle? Some reports I have read state they make the problem worse cutting blood flow more, while others say it improves.

I enjoy this sport a lot...which is why I am out there 3-4 times a week. But if this is going to cause a health problem, I have to seriously consider giving it up. Any input anyone would have would be appreciated.
    Last edited by doug5718; 04-06-2013 at 11:38 AM. Reason: forgot something

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Saddles are really personal thing as far as 'issues' or comfort. I've never had numbness down there or problems but have had chafing and pressure boils a few times. I'm almost 50 and it still works!

I'd say try more than a few saddles, and don't ride one that's painful or causing you problems. Been at the sport almost 20 years off and on, if that helps.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Just get married, then it won't matter if your "man parts" work or not.....

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    LOL

But what if he just wants to pound the meat a bit? What's he gonna do?

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    May 2009
    By and large it seems MTB riders have less issues with this as we move around much more on the saddle when riding than our pavement riding friends. Try several saddles until one really seems comfortable above the rest. Might take a dozen but you'll find that one that is juuuuuust right.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Well, if you are really worried about it, get a single speed and you'll be sitting on the saddle a heck of a lot less.

like above, I've had some chafing, but never any "issues" down there from biking. I think the chemotherapy I got a few years ago is more likely to mess things up than my bike saddle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    Well, if you are really worried about it, get a single speed and you'll be sitting on the saddle a heck of a lot less.
    Good point. ^

-big tires, lower psi
    -tilt saddle a bit down and/or bars up.
    -lower saddle a touch
    -do more riding/training off the saddle and you'll be able to ride longer off the saddle
    -Brooks saddle without fart cut out. There's no need imo.
    -try some fart cut out saddles.
    -get bike fitting and/or seat bones measured at lbs
    -try saddle demo deal
    -more suspension
    -padded shorts

Little tweaks can make a big difference, especially more than one. Don't make to many at once so you figure out which helped.
    "Tortured by mental illness" ~monogod

mtbr member
    There are two really helpful advancements in MTB in the last couple years that may help you out:
    1. Better ergonomics in saddles. I have found the recent (2010ish+) Spez Phenom to be remarkably good, but it comes down to fit. Sit bone fit. Go get a free Ass-o-meter check just to understand the concept, even if you like any of the other great saddle brands.

2. Upright riding position. I don't care how much "all mountain" in a marketing dude's mouth may make you want to barf. Upright riding position is awesome for fit, control, ergos, everything. The widespread issue of low backpain is an associated symptom. Your hips just shouldn't be rocked forward enough to squeeze your junk against the saddle. I even ride nose-up (because I like the control of a gravity-oriented saddle setup), and still don't get harmful perenium/soft-tissue pressure.

I still have my '99 hardtail around as a commuter bike, and even though it inherited a slightly more modern (but still XC) stem over the years, it's shocking how long it is.

You weight should be over your bottom bracket. You weight should be through your pedals. Leaning waaaay out over the bars w/ a bunch of weight in the wrists was never a good idea for MTB. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Nah. I think thing has been dragged across the floor a few times, and I looked into it myself when my wife and I were trying to conceive (unfortunately, we didn't have a baby, but it wasn't from riding).

I think major concerns should arise if/when you feel a tingling or numb sensation in the nether region. Chafing can be avoided with a good cream - but that's just skin. Most important is to find a saddle that works for YOU, one where you are sitting on your seat bones (like what theMeat said) and you really can't get that off this forum - it's a matter of trial and error. Some seats work for some and others not. What works for me are the dished design of the wider WTB saddles - but that's me. You have to find what works for you.

So, yes. Like with anything sports related, there can be potential problems, but unless you're experiencing numbness, tingling, pain, etc. you should be fine (from what I read, but I'm no doctor).

I'm SUCH a square....
    Gawd, will this scare-tactic story NEVER go away? I read this in 2000! It was BS then, it's BS now.

If you want more than my word for it, ask Armstrong's kids. (He has, what, 4 or 5 now?)
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    I got 99 problems but a Heath bar ain't one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I've got 3 kids and have yet to get snipped. Some days I wish it would cause problems. My wife would probably wish the same thing if I asked her.....

Dion, if you're still trying, best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll get there eventually, and have fun doing it....
    2012 Rockhopper 29er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for all the replies to everyone...its really appreciated for someone that is new to this sport like me. It's a remedy 8 I have so it is full suspension (and yea, that part I have figured out). I also get up about every 15 minutes and stand on the pedals when I ride as I guess this really helps.

I read through every post on here and it seems everyone agrees the saddle is a personal choice on what fits best. I am really seriously considering the WTB Volt SLT. If anyone has had these before I would like to hear some input on them...is the "comfort zone" and "love channel" a real deal or is it BS?

mtbr member
    Adamo Peak | Ideal Saddle Modification

You get what you pay for.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I don't know if it was actually just a scare tactic. After about six months of riding I was starting to get some serious numbness issues, that I believe were causing some bedroom issues. I went and got sized for a seat and chose one with a cut-out. Now, no more numbness. The funny thing is, is that the new seat has alomost no padding but the proper fitment makes it comfortable for some serious saddle time.

mtbr member
    There is no evidence that saddles cause any problem at all. It is total BS. They actually studied this out years ago and found that the riders in the Tour De France had the EXACT percentage of problems as the general population. Those guys are in the saddle 4-8 hours a day and do not have issues. It is pure marketing to get someone to buy a specific brand of saddle. It is important though to have a saddle that fits you correctly (like miniman868 stated). Not all azzes are created equal.

Rogue Exterminator
    I am quite ok with not having any kids, so cycle on.

If it ever gets to a point where I can't get it up, I will make a splint with two popsicle sticks and rock on.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    There is no evidence that saddles cause any problem at all. It is total BS. They actually studied this out years ago and found that the riders in the Tour De France had the EXACT percentage of problems as the general population. Those guys are in the saddle 4-8 hours a day and do not have issues. It is pure marketing to get someone to buy a specific brand of saddle. It is important though to have a saddle that fits you correctly (like miniman868 stated). Not all azzes are created equal.
    Then explain to me why the hell my urologist was scolding me for not using the proper seat and a large pool of blood that came out and stained my shorts and my acute prostatitis which nearly cause me to have an unwanted vasectomy and almost ended my bicycle riding days. This is a well documented problem and the solution is not as expensive as you think. I even got a seat that protects my genitals which cost far less than my old seat and it is super comfortable.

You can google all the things I've said and see even more conditions that will result from improper seat comfort. Stop pretending that you know everything because your clearly don't have a clue.

human dehumidifier
    I remember at one point they found that a certain saddle (Flite) and post (American Classic) was causing problems because the saddle flexed and the post had hardware above the rails. So combining all that, you were really sitting on top the post. Guess what combo I had on my bike at the time ... never had bleeding or anything like that though.
    I may or may not be laughing at you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    I remember at one point they found that a certain saddle (Flite) and post (American Classic) was causing problems because the saddle flexed and the post had hardware above the rails. So combining all that, you were really sitting on top the post. Guess what combo I had on my bike at the time ... never had bleeding or anything like that though.
    Where's the evidence? A post donning the name with both words "American" and "classic" can't be to blame. I'm not buying it. That's just silly. Plus, you must have imagined this problem, just look at the tour d france guys, they're fine.
    And for those that judge saddle comfort by the number of kids they fathered, that's just funny.

OP, think the only saddle that can fit a wide array of @sses is a Brooks.
    WTB, I think still does, runs a demo trail thing with willing lbs, so you can try different ones till you find the one you keep.
    Most lbs have a bin of take offs for sale for 10 bucks or less so you can try some different shapes out.
    Fwiw, padding, or too much of it, can feel good when you first sit on it, but can lead to chaffing, and on a fs you shouldn't need much at all. Padded shorts are better because they move with your skin and not against it causing chaffing.
    And the cut outs certainly can help with some people/saddle combos.
    "Tortured by mental illness" ~monogod

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Where's the evidence? A post donning the name with both words "American" and "classic" can't be to blame. I'm not buying it. That's just silly. Plus, you must have imagined this problem, just look at the tour d france guys, they're fine.
    And for those that judge saddle comfort by the number of kids they fathered, that's just funny.
    I think it is not caused by a certain seat model but the anatomy of people not compatible with a certain seat and not just limited to men but also women are affected. Also, it is not limited to sterility but problems like difficult urination, bleeding, erectile dysfunction, nerve damage and may even cause thrombosis.

The problem with this issue is that most will hide their problems because the fear and embarrassment. I've only known that my cycling buddies had or have problems when I told them that I could not ride for a month because under urologist orders and even some thank me and went for a check up immediately while others told me what the went through to fixed their problem. This issue is even discussed in livestrong and YouTube.

Bike seats and erectile dysfunction - YouTube

mtbr member
    The only method known for men to avoid cycling-related impotence is to have sex within no more than 30 minutes after biking. Intercourse should be followed by rest (TV is ok) and 1-2 IPAs.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Man you need to eat less meat or something, the beef steroids have you on full time attack. This is something that happened over a decade ago. I might be able to hunt down reports of it on the iBOB listserv, but I'm not going to even try. Better things to do than argue a point that doesn't matter, and all that. Plus I didn't ever say it hurt me, did I?
    I may or may not be laughing at you.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by doug5718 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies to everyone...its really appreciated for someone that is new to this sport like me. It's a remedy 8 I have so it is full suspension (and yea, that part I have figured out). I also get up about every 15 minutes and stand on the pedals when I ride as I guess this really helps.

I read through every post on here and it seems everyone agrees the saddle is a personal choice on what fits best. I am really seriously considering the WTB Volt SLT. If anyone has had these before I would like to hear some input on them...is the "comfort zone" and "love channel" a real deal or is it BS?
    WTB saddles are great products. If you ride enough (say 8-12+ hours a week) or something like 400+ annual hours - your backside will eventually care less what it is sitting on because you will be so conditioned that it doesn't really matter what you are sitting on for a typical 90 - 120 minute ride.

I wouldn't overthink it. A pair of good bibs with a nice pad in them and proper fit on the bike is more crucial to comfort than the excellent saddles being made these days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast