Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    AZ
    banned

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Heat stroke, how to recognize it.

It's that time of year, learn to recognize the signs of heat stroke so hopefully you can avoid it.
    Be careful in the heat and humidity.

Link
    http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7...ing_signs.html

mtbr member
    Good points. Scary part is a lot of the "sudden onset" symptoms might be hard to recognize when riding.

Rapid pulse -- if you're riding pretty hard it's arleady up
    You stop sweating -- I'm such a sweathog and my shirt and bandana would already be soaked enough that I'm not sure I would notice.
    Disorientation -- I tend to get disoriented whenever I'm on an unmarked trail anyway
    Difficult breathing -- I guess there's a difference in heavy breathing vs. difficult breathing
    High body temperature -- Probably hard to tell if you're riding hard on a hot day as well.

I usually don't ride whenever it's over 95, and my typical rides are pretty short (<2hrs) and mostly in the shade. I'm jealous of you AZ riders who mostly enjoy dry heat... that helps a lot as well. 85 or 95, it's tough to sweat in the muggy SE summers.

Token Hillbilly
    Good info!

The big thing I always watch for is sweat. Stop every once in a while. If you don't have sweat immediately start beading... you're headed for trouble. Drink up.

I have started using a camelbak every time I'm on the trail to promote drinking more. With bottles, it is sometimes harder to get a drink because of the logistics of getting the bottle out while tackling the tougher stuff. Since I only use water in the camelbak (to keep from souring when I can't wash it right after a ride), it leaves my bottle cage open to put a bottle of whatever electrolyte drink I am using at the time to augment hydration.

You can withstand the heat, you just have to be hyper-aware and extremely diligent about putting more water in than you're losing.
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

Derptastic
    Quote Originally Posted by GotoDengo View Post
    Difficult breathing -- I guess there's a difference in heavy breathing vs. difficult breathing
    Very much so. And thanks to allergy season rolling in, if I'm not drugged up I'd have a hell of a time riding. Congestion and a closed up throat are not conducive to aerobic exercise

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadric View Post
    Very much so. And thanks to allergy season rolling in, if I'm not drugged up I'd have a hell of a time riding. Congestion and a closed up throat are not conducive to aerobic exercise
    /\ This year has been a brutal one for allergies.

I've come dangerously close to heat stroke on a couple of occasions in the past. I have not actually had it, but have had heat exhaustion (the step right before heat stroke) and have had to give aid to people flirting with the boundary, too.

biggest deal is to get out of the heat. lay on your back with your feet up on a chair. if you have cool water available, submerge the hands or feet or run the water over the wrists/ankles. Blood vessels are close to the surface here and you can quickly cool the blood this way. cold pack on the forehead. drink water, get some electrolytes.

SSOD
    Good info man. I sometimes experience a sudden cooling/ loss of body heat feeling followed by dissiness if I'm overworking it but I think that is along the lines of overheating and not necessarily stroke symptoms.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    watch for chills and vomiting....

i hit both those early on in a race.....had to scale waaaay back to continue...

it was not a fun race.....
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    I've stopped sweating a couple of times. It goes something like this:

"Wow, cool, my skin is getting dry, I must've stopped sweating. OHCRAPIMUST'VE STOPPEDSWEATING!" And then I get off the bike and sit on a log/rock/the ground in the shade and suck water until I start sweating again.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    I should know this, but I'm honestly not clear on it, especially re: the warning if you stop sweating part.

I ~believe~ it is possible to be well hydrated and still suffer heat stroke. Or rather, by time you notice that symptom, you already HAVE heat stroke and haven't prevented it.

I guess the thing is, to really listen to your body. Every one of us knows when our body is telling us to back off.

Category 5 Gnarricane
    Friend of mine blacked out temporarily after some strenuous climbing followed by break immediately afterwards. He felt dizzy/disoriented, then the vision started to go. Sat down on a log, then on the ground leaning against it, then laid down on the ground beside it. A few minutes later he was fine. However I don't think it was hot that day.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jellytronics View Post
    Friend of mine blacked out temporarily after some strenuous climbing followed by break immediately afterwards. He felt dizzy/disoriented, then the vision started to go. Sat down on a log, then on the ground leaning against it, then laid down on the ground beside it. A few minutes later he was fine. However I don't think it was hot that day.
    That is a typical response from running in the "red zone" for too long. Some very good posts, a lot of good info, thanks to everyone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    When I was young( many years ago) I was playing tennis on a hot day and started to shiver. Freaked me out, was definitely time to quit and cool down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Having landed myself a trip to the emergency room due to heat stroke, I can assure you that my experience was not fun at all. I had a fever of 108 and had to stay in the hospital for two night.

I was fortunate that I was not out in the woods riding. I recognized something was really wrong when I was shivering in the shower. I called my friend to give me a ride to the hospital and then passed out as I was checking myself in. Next thing I remember was waking up on my back with a fan over me, a wet rag on my forehead, wires everywhere, and a bunch of people standing around me.

The temperature outside that day was high 60s or low 70s with low humidity. The reason i passed out was because I was doing my fitness test for military. I didn't go to medical that morning since I did not feel sick; however, I started feeling sick after lunch when the afternoon started to roll around. Well that was too late to claim illness and get out of the test since it was too late to go to medical. Thus I was compelled to do the fitness test. Let's just say that after the run I realized I felt bad that day because my digestive system was in the process of purging itself clean...

You can prolly guess where it goes from there since all the water I drank from that day was purged rather than absorbed.
    Last edited by jseko; 06-04-2011 at 10:06 AM.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    It's that time of year, learn to recognize the signs of heat stroke so hopefully you can avoid it.
    Be careful in the heat and humidity.
    Excellent advice.

One of the most tragic and saddest stories ever to appear here at MTBR.com was a few years ago when a MTBR member posted up that he had taken his family out on a mountain bike ride on their vacation in the heat and his teenage daughter passed away from heatstroke in spite of all attempts to revive her. I don't have a link, but I remember reading the father's story and his advice to be very aware of the heat when choosing when and how long to ride. It was a tragic loss and the story was difficult to read.

Be careful out there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Good post! In the MTB community, many are pretty aware of this - the true problem lies with the weekend warrior types.

The situation what Bruce Brown posted is very sad.

Class Clown
    I got the chills a couple weeks ago on a very humid day after climbing a hill. Very weird! I did stop for a few minutes until I felt normal.

Riding and lovin it.
    In order to leak water, you have to drink water!

mtbr member
    Didnt come up, but having had it before the symptom that you cannot fail to recognize is the earth starts to bounce, almost like its an earthquake.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    ... a MTBR member posted up that he had taken his family out on a mountain bike ride on their vacation in the heat and his teenage daughter passed away from heatstroke in spite of all attempts to revive her....
    http://www.ogrehut.com/trails.php/TheFamily/120Sylvia

good parents...strong, experienced and responsible riders....both of them....

it was a very sad time.....
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Something not mentioned in this post, probably because it's the wrong time of year for us northern hemisphere people, is that dehydration and heat stroke can also happen during cold weather.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post

Yes, that's the story about Sylvia, CHUM. Thanks for finding that link. My eyes still well up today when I read that tragic story (that really could have happened to any of us).

BB

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post

Words are inadequate, thanks for posting that, maybe we can help prevent just one.

Stucco Bucket
    Curious, what part of AZ Mtns do you live in?

Is it Friday yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Excellent advice.

One of the most tragic and saddest stories ever to appear here at MTBR.com was a few years ago when a MTBR member posted up that he had taken his family out on a mountain bike ride on their vacation in the heat and his teenage daughter passed away from heatstroke in spite of all attempts to revive her. I don't have a link, but I remember reading the father's story and his advice to be very aware of the heat when choosing when and how long to ride. It was a tragic loss and the story was difficult to read.

Be careful out there.
    Wow. Thank you for sharing this tragic story. I have a young daughter and this really brings it home. Sometimes I take things too far myself, and then have to remind myself to not only protect my daughter, but to protect ME so that I can be healthy and old with her.

Sharing my own story, I once went for a road ride, before the days of cell phones, i was way out in the country and it was brutally hot. I saw rattle snakes on the road, that hot. Anyway, by the time I realized how overheated I was, I was in the middle of nowhere and there wasn't a car in sight. I found a church, but there was no shade under its awning. I got lucky and they had an open spigot. I poured water al over myself multiple times, lay down in the surrounding trees, and eventually limped back to the car after about a 20 minute break. Worst ride of my life. Worse than the one where I broke my wrist recently.

So, my advice, never ride alone in this heat, and, always have a charged and dry cell phone.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast