Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
    mtbr member
    Agree with the above. Great advice here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks man!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    When Heat stroke happen, take a rest in the shade, unlock clothes, to strengthen ventilation, drink dilute brine. If have conditions, use a wet towel to wipe the body exposed parts, and replenish the water...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: Heat stroke, how to recognize it.

I saw.someone die from it on a hiking trail. The worst part, didn't know.what to do at the time.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    It's always a good idea to take a break every so often, when on the trails. I try to stop atleast every hour.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    For me, I was still sweating when other symptoms started. Probably good because I caught it early. It was 95 with high humidity and I just couldn't get going, I had to stop every quarter mile, I was pouring sweat, just literally making puddles on the ground. Heart racing, disoriented and afraid I was going to just pass out. Might have been electrolyte depletion - I wasn't dehydrated since I had my Camelback, but seriously, amazed I made it home.

mtbr member
    Scary! I was thinking of biking in the heat since I missed biking so much but after reading these and at 43 years old, forget it. I'm in Vegas and at night is even high 90's to low 100's right now.

mtbr member
    I'm in Vegas and I foolishly went for a day ride (started at 11:00 am) at a trail I have never ridden. I usually ride right around sunrise and I do just fine, but I was at work late last night and just didn't want to eliminate my Saturday ride. I hydrated before hand, and conserved my water during the ride. I ended up getting turned around on the trail and wound up riding more than I intended. I started to get dizzy and disoriented and I began going down on obstacles that should not have phased me. Long story short, I finally found my way back to my truck and it was a long limp back. I felt pretty good after I sat in the AC for 15 minutes and sipped on some more water.

I learned my lesson! No more day rides for me in 100+ degree heat on trails I am unfamiliar with.

No known cure
    I rode a trail a week ago that I started at 7/am, at 7000'. An hour later, at 2500' it was hot with no breeze. The air was completely dead. I had plenty of water and Gatorade but my body wasn't absorbing it. Then I stopped sweating. I barely made it out of the foothills and back to the highway where I still had four miles to go to get back to the car. I found a turnout to rest in the shade but instead collapsed, puking all over myself. I vomited what looked like a gallon of straight water with some yellow Gatorade mixed in. I made it back to my car and zipped to my hotel room and jumped into a cold but not too cold shower to cool my core. I puked around another gallon of water while in the shower. I noticed that my heartrate was all over the place and drove myself to the e room where I spent 12 hours receiving fluids and various other tests looking for permanent damage to my heart. No more hot riding for me. No more riding solo in areas with no cell service, And I really need to start letting someone know where I'll be.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Do not try to conserve water. It is dangerous to do so. I heard a statistic from a survival expert to the effect that most people who die in the wilderness from heat stroke or dehydration still have water in their bottles.

Unless you are already saturated, drink it now. It is as effective as later and reduces the risk.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have started carrying a small umbrella so I can make my own shade as most of my riding is where there is little natural shade.

High Desert MTBer
    My riding buddy last weekend got a dose of heat exhaustion while we were out. He started feeling nauseous early on, but said it was because he had drunk a lot of sugary sweet stuff earlier that did not agree with him. Then he found his contact lenses were the wrong way round, and that was disorientating and making him feel weird. When he changed them back around he said he felt better, but as we got further away from the car, he still was not 100% by his own admission. Then he started to throw up when we were some way away. Just liquid. He said that made him feel better, and we continued on our way back. He threw up again, but we did have plenty of water, so I just kept an eye on him, thinking that if we got back to the car, he would be able to cool down quickly in the AC. We got back OK, but I was almost going to leave him out there and go fetch the car or call 911, but he maintained he was OK. Unfortunately, the battery was completely dead when we got back to the car, so the AC did not work! There was a faucet there tho, so he cooled off some under that, and I had some ice packs and a towel with cold witch hazel in my cooler, so that all helped him cool down while we waited for help. He was right on the verge tho, and had to spend 2 hours in his pool when I got him back, before he started to feel normal again. We were lucky, and only having enough water, and keeping a close watch got us thru.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Im jealous of the Arizona riders too, here in Massachusetts the heat only goes to the 90s sometimes but the humidity is disgusting in the summer, then in winter, well, screw that, I'm an asthmatic so winter riding is hard on my airways! You can find nice days in both summer and winter to ride here though, riding on the Cape is smart in the summer, the cape is a bit cooler. Also, in Arizona, Mountain Biking is a much more popular sport and there are even trails in the city of Phoenix! There is no where to ride a Mountain Bike off road in Boston, the only cycling in Boston is either riding your road bike down the Charles River or you ride through the streets as transportation to get around. But Duxbury, MA (35mi south of Boston and only a town away from my area) has one really nice trail network! I listed it as my favorite trail on my profile, I called it Lansing Bennett but I've also heard it called "Duxbury Woods"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Glacier Ice Towel

Bring a cold towel on rides during summer. I found these this spring and have used them many times already, mostly for other people in the first stages of heat stroke. They are washable and really work. The Glacier Ice Towel works great and is big enough to cover your head. They are on eBay and Amazon.com

Just keep the zip lock bag in your pack, add some water and its ready to go. I rinse them out before I use them, the lemon stuff they come with is OK, but straight water works best.

mtbr member
    I'll just add an experience in 110F (43c) team XC race .

A number of people suffered from heatstroke. None recognized it's seriousness. But we all recovered with showers etc between laps, then went out again.

It was not related at all to dehydration.

Main symptoms.
    Slight disorientation.
    Feeling very cold, shivering
    Completely dry skin, hot to the touch.
    Earache or headache.

Lessons. I wouldn't race in those conditions again without a HRM and keep strictly to my threshold
    2. I would try and talk the team out of racing at all - the day I experienced this, I am still amazed that no one was rushed to hospital - a non sweating patient, complaining about being cold, goosebumps headaches, very hot skin to the touch would have been treated as an emergency in any ED, but at a mountain bike race, no one even visited the medical team!

We are our own worst enemy sometimes

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    From the heat since I get sick a lot from it I can tell what to do before it's too late ( I did get heat stroke and for 2 weeks I had symptoms of dizzy and lightheadness) if you feel like it's hot and you need what get water as soon as you can, but if you feel like you need water but you don't want it, it means your getting it... so what you should do is get ice or somewhere cold and rest or lay down! Best way to get rid of it I'd say and sleep.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Is not sweating the ultimate indicator. I don't sweat when I am pedaling. I always thought its just how it is because of the wind when riding. I do notice when I stop pedaling to fix a flat or whatever...then I become a water fountain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureRider View Post
    Is not sweating the ultimate indicator. I don't sweat when I am pedaling. I always thought its just how it is because of the wind when riding. I do notice when I stop pedaling to fix a flat or whatever...then I become a water fountain.
    That tells me you are sweating, but it's evaporating when you are moving because of wind.

The best indicators are nervous system problems - eyesight, dizziness, feeling cold when you aren't etc. if you stop and your skin is dry and hot

mtbr member
    I rode last week when it was 102. Was down in the canyon & not much wind. When its hot like that slow your pace, take breaks and hydrate before you ride. I tie a bandana around my neck and keep it damp. Help keep me cool & keeps the sun off my neck. If you stop for breaks, as noted, you will sweat, putting moisture into your clothing. Then you cool more efficiently. Shade on my rides is sparse but I do stop where I find it.
    Ride to have fun. It's not worth a trip to the ER.
    The bike doesn't make you go fast.
    You make the bike go fast.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9