Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the very helpful information.

mtbr member
    For years on many endurance events like the Tahoe Sierra 100, 8 hr Races and the Death Ride I have suffered hydration issues and heat stroke and exhaustion.

My symptoms are heavy fatigue and nausea and a couple of times I had chills and I vomit. Usually when I vomit, I vomit a full stomach load of fluids, which I guess is the result of the digestion stopping and dehydration worsening. I think I have my hydration, nutrition and pace dialed, but this problem happens too often.

I shoot for the recommended 17-25 ounces/ hr, electrolytes and <240 cal/ hr of a endurance fuel, but success is hit or miss. Some 6-8 hr training rides have been total successes, but sticking to the same plan I have had some major flops. Altitude may be a factor, since I live low a and some of these flops have been at high altitude, but I have bonked bad at relatively low altitude too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yeah here in Florida, it get really hot and humid, Thanks for this guide...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sirvalve View Post
    First step is prevention. There are two types of heat stroke. One is sudden onset and the second is lack of fluids in your body. Both can be deadly. Prevention starts with making sure you are hydrated. If you know you will be doing an activity in the heat and sun star drinking extra water as much as 24 hours in advance. For breakfast eat salty foods and make sure you have extra sports drinks chalked full of electrolytes.

Wear light colored and weight clothing to allow your skin to breath and sweat. A major sign of heat stroke is that you stop sweating.

Prevention of heat stroke is very important. Continue to drink water and sports drinks and eat salty snacks throughout the day to replenish what your body loses during the activities.
    I have also read research that drinking EXTRA water and salty foods can through you off too. Water intoxication is the term and according to the research it is very common and just as bad as too little. When I get the time I will site the research, but it can be found on the Hammer website.

mtbr member
    good to know

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sirvalve View Post
    If you know you will be doing an activity in the heat and sun star drinking extra water as much as 24 hours in advance.
    This is what I wanted to post from Hammer that is contradictory to other recommendations in this thread:

SODIUM – Don’t consume extra sodium (salt) in the hopes that you’ll be “topping off your body stores” prior to the race. Since the average American already consumes approximately 6000 to 8000 mg per day (if not more), an amount well above the upper end recommended dose of 2300-2400 mg/day, there is absolutely no need to increase that amount in the days prior to the race. (Hint: Adopting a low-sodium diet will do wonders for both your health and athletic performance). High sodium intake, especially in the days leading up to the race, is a recipe for disaster because it will greatly increase the potential for disruption of the hormonal mechanisms that control sodium regulation, re-circulation, and conservation. In the days leading up the race, be especially cognizant of the salt content in your foods, especially if you go out to eat. Dining out can easily increase your already-high salt intake dramatically (into double figures!).

Also, you need other minerals besides salt. Also, Excess Hydration is #1 on the list of Top Mistakes made by athletes.

Jon Bailey
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    It's that time of year, learn to recognize the signs of heat stroke so hopefully you can avoid it.
    Be careful in the heat and humidity.
    symptoms I get when doing something strenuous in the heat:
    the last time I got this is when I pushed my broken-down car a block and into a Safeway parking lot 4 summers ago and it was 100+ outside!

1. palpitating heart
    2. short-winded; very bad sometimes, feels like I am dying
    3. severe headaches
    4. nervousness
    5. dizziness
    6. weakness

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jonmyrlebailey View Post
    symptoms I get when doing something strenuous in the heat:
    the last time I got this is when I pushed my broken-down car a block and into a Safeway parking lot 4 summers ago and it was 100+ outside!

1. palpitating heart
    2. short-winded; very bad sometimes, feels like I am dying
    3. severe headaches
    4. nervousness
    5. dizziness
    6. weakness
    +1 to the headaches, dizziness, and weakness. I would add lightheadedness and nausea. I also live in Florida and suffered heat exhaustion not long ago. Very un-fun. Felt like I was going to die. You may want to keep something with electrolytes around like Emergen-C. Obviously, preventing it is easiest, but try to get out of the heat, hydrate, and rest. No award for toughness if you die.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Drink water!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Great post and lots of good info.
    killroy thanks for the tips. I have seen too many people get preventable heat injuries due to ignorance. I second the overhydration as that can easily lead to hyponatremia and other unpleasantness. The excess salt issue is also on point.

I also recommend people stay away from commercial "sports" drink, energy drinks, and anything with aspartame or other artificial sweetners in it.

Since i do lots of work outside i have had to be very aware of heat injuries.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    there is some very usefull info here although here in the uk we only see the sun for about 2 days a year so not much danger of heat stroke

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

heat stroke

ive come pretty close myself over The past couple years, mostly in climates i'm unfamiliar with. From arizona, im used to riding In the dry heat. When i got stationed in savannah, ga i started riding the way i normally did. Got a pretty bad Case of heat exhaution, almost dumped my bike in the river i was riding next to.my problem was i forgot to Bring extra water with me to account for my body adjusting To the climate change. made The same mistake twice, actually. Brought my bike with me when i deployed, and got a bad Case of the cramps on my 3rd lap around Bagram. Now I Won't ride anywhere without at least a 2liter camelbak and A gatorade in the bottle mount. Always have liquids available!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    At this time of the year, unless you live down
    under you don't need to worry about it. Just ride
    and have fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
    For years on many endurance events like the Tahoe Sierra 100, 8 hr Races and the Death Ride I have suffered hydration issues and heat stroke and exhaustion.

My symptoms are heavy fatigue and nausea and a couple of times I had chills and I vomit. Usually when I vomit, I vomit a full stomach load of fluids, which I guess is the result of the digestion stopping and dehydration worsening. I think I have my hydration, nutrition and pace dialed, but this problem happens too often.

I shoot for the recommended 17-25 ounces/ hr, electrolytes and <240 cal/ hr of a endurance fuel, but success is hit or miss. Some 6-8 hr training rides have been total successes, but sticking to the same plan I have had some major flops. Altitude may be a factor, since I live low a and some of these flops have been at high altitude, but I have bonked bad at relatively low altitude too.
    Sorry to tell you, but I reckon you have probably cooked your temperature regulating centres in your hypothalamus. As has been stated here earlier, heat stroke can permenently damage those parts of your brain, leaving you more vulnerable to further episodes. Your body won't regulate body temperature as well anymore.

I suspect i have done the same.

mtbr member
    At my age..I'm due for a stroke if I don't take care of my body and health soon

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Useful info here

Thank you

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    At one point, I was pondering where to stash my body for recovery. Out in the open, where it would easily be seen from the air, or stash it under a rock so the critters wouldn't drag it to where it couldn't be located. At the time, I'd been riding for over 20 years; mostly solo, and absolutly no one knew remotely where I was.
    Satellite PLB is always in a jersey pocket if I am away alone.

Will not save you from a heat stroke though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    This is off the topic of heat stroke, but I'm looking for advice. I have torn some meniscus in my right knee and will probably need arthoscopy. After that, I want to 1) keep cycling and 2) be a good boy and not re-injure my knee.

Questions:
    1) Do I have to give up mountain biking and go strictly road biking because the jarring through the pedals could reinjure the meniscus?

2) Would a full suspension bike absorb the jarring that would otherwise hurt my knees, or does fs just help the back and the bum?

3) What adjustments, both in my style of riding or in my bike, should I make so that my knees remain healthy after recovery?

Thanks for your input. Please spread my question far and wide. I really do want to be responsible from here on out.

Sincerely,
    Bongani Rudy Poglitsh

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I think that the best advice is to consistently drink small amounts of water. I learned this the hard way when we would do loops and I would not bring water with. I figured we were only out for 45 min per loop I would just drink when I got back to the truck. I did this many times until I did it on a day that was a bit to hot. Next thing I knew I felt dizzy and like I was going to through up. Had to stop for the day and it took me a full 24 hours to fully recover. Bottom line is I now have a small camel pack that I ride with at all times. As a plus it gives me a place to put first aid kit and a few tools as well.

The whole idea of drinking too much water gets blown out of proportion. It can happen, but it is unlikely. If this is something that worries you just drink small amounts consistently. Try to avoid not drinking, followed by pounding down a bottle of water.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongani View Post
    Questions:
    1) Do I have to give up mountain biking and go strictly road biking because the jarring through the pedals could reinjure the meniscus?

2) Would a full suspension bike absorb the jarring that would otherwise hurt my knees, or does fs just help the back and the bum?

3) What adjustments, both in my style of riding or in my bike, should I make so that my knees remain healthy after recovery?
    1) I find road riding no less jarring. 2) My knees feel easier on FS 3) better fitting bike. I found that when running an adjustable seatpost I can run it higher for pedalling/spinning sections and it is much easier on the knees than a compromised lowered position that works for both pedaling and technical bits.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Thanks for the input

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    1) I find road riding no less jarring. 2) My knees feel easier on FS 3) better fitting bike. I found that when running an adjustable seatpost I can run it higher for pedalling/spinning sections and it is much easier on the knees than a compromised lowered position that works for both pedaling and technical bits.
    Thank you, Axe, for your input. It does help me get an idea of what I should do next.
    Bongani

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Used to work for Team AZ for track days. ((Sport bikes). Have had to rough days where I consumed massive amounts of Gatorade and didn't pee once. 140+ on the Tarmac is no joke for 8 hrs. Lightheaded, nauseous, and near delirious I hopped in an ice cold bath at home and slammed pedialyte! No bueno!

B
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Words are inadequate, thanks for posting that, maybe we can help prevent just one.
    Horrible. I've done this to myself, putting my parents in jeopardy of going through this.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Great tips here guys ! I almost got heatstroke once when I was in a different country. Its definitely some serious stuff! The best thing to do (well for me at least) is to stop pedaling and just coast. The wind should cool you down a bit .. and be sure to drink some water

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast