Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Good tips.

I ride slower in the heat, knowing I can't push as hard (at fifty, this means really slow). Seems like every group that stops to rest immediately hop on their bikes as I go by and then want to pass me. Then they have to stop again after a short distance and I ride by them again.

Dirty nerotic bike whore
    rofl thats funny... I live in new mexico c I ussually start rides when its about 95f. its really not hot enough but we cant wait for jul/aug to ride now can we? ussually drink about 140L of water a ride and go through "heat stroke" as I call it multiple times a ride. Symptoms include: face pumping with blood, sweat passing dew rag into eye's, entire body arms and legs covered with about 2mm of sweat, head has pounding in 2 area's kinda like a migraine and my ears are ringing. then the climbing is done I stop come out of the furnace for a second, and start a cooling decent that gives me just enough break before it all starts again... and I wonder how I can be eating 3000 cal meals and still be loosing weight... gotta ride hard in the heat. trick is to consume water, sunblock, dew rag, proper cycling apparel. DO NOT LET THE SUN SCARE YOU FROM RIDING!!!!!!! maybe ride little less time just get out there..

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    thanks! i always wondered what i would need to look for when riding in the heat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Rode Hurkey Creek yesterday at 3:30. Dunno what the temp was, but mustave been about 90.

The meadows are unprotected (in the sun) and the wind was on my back so it seemed still. It was quite hot. I drank a lot, and slowed my pace a little.

It wasn't really that uncomfortable, just hot. I'm still trying to acclimate. I prefer Spring, Winter and Fall here in So Cal.

I've had heat stroke though. Did a hike/bike in Day canyon once in Rancho Cucamonga in August. Didn't drink enough. I was laid up in bed for 2 days. Chills, fever, vomiting, etc etc. Not fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    90 Degrees :O Oh noes!! I bet you have trees and grass and all that stuff too

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    and I wonder how I can be eating 3000 cal meals and still be loosing weight
    This is what I notice the most. I routinely ride during the afternoon in 100+ degree temps here in North Texas. The heat doesn't bother me and I don't go any slower but for several hours afterwards I can't get enough to eat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I coached high school track and cross country from the 80's to '02. Another thing that happens I didn't see mentioned is that your skin often feels clammy when you're undergoing heat exhaustion. Hydration is extremely important. I was a fanatic about keeping myself, my assistants, and the kids hydrated and in Maryland there are enough days in the 90's when running long distances or working hard intervals is dangerous for anyone who doesn't. On 90's+ hot days. I'd post coolers of ice water, cups, and a trash bag on willing people's property, a willing 7-11's parking lot, etc. along practice routes. Cycling, stay hydrated as well. I freeze a juice box then bury it in a towel in my car when I drive to a trail to cycle on a hot day even though I take a similarly-treated water bottle of water with me so I also have something cold at the end of the ride.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I rode for two hours in the Texas heat today and could not stop thinking about the young pro motocross racer that died from heat stroke last weekend at Red Bud. He crashed early in the race then spent a lot of time and energy trying to get his bike started then continued on with the race. He was only out there for only thirty minutes and it took his life.

I slowed way down on the climbs today and drank all of the 100oz in the camelback.

mtbr member
    I got it a bit yesterday on a 38 mile race, unfortunately I did not realize that sweating extra hard is also a symptom, I was watching myself for signs I knew about dizzyness, confusion, ect, finally 22 miles in I just had enough, at about that same time I had quit sweating so good call on my part. Dont be afraid to throw in the towel, it really isnt worth it for ego or to prove yourself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    It's that time of year, learn to recognize the signs of heat stroke so hopefully you can avoid it.
    Be careful in the heat and humidity.

Link
    How to Recognize the Warning Signs of Heat Stroke - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com
    Thank you for the post! I am in my late 40's, and got back into riding just 2 months ago. I have been riding 10-30 mile rides here in Southern California mostly on the flat stuff, with several Mountain rides in the 10 mile range.

I am training for an upcoming MTB Vacation in the Sierra's, so today I decided to ride the SART trail from Norco to San Bernardino, and back to the car. It was 103 degrees here today. I left with a full Camelback 100 oz, a full 20 oz Bottle of PowerAde, some fruit, and Gu.

I started around 0820 this morning, and headed out on what would be my longest mileage ride on a MTB ever. I used to race road bikes some 25 years ago, and 50lbs ago, so I guess I have something to prove to myself. What an idiot. About 15 miles out, I felt a little light headed, but was drinking often. A Roadie passed by while I was resting, and asking if I was ok, so I thanked him. I made it to the very end of the SART trail, and after a few minute break, turned around after taking pictures of the trail end. I would stop from time to time and shoot a quick narrative video from my Droid.

About at mile 25, I really started to feel sick. I stopped to take a break and shoot a quick video, and I usually tell the date and time as I shoot. I could not remember the month, and stated " I'ts November 7" when it was really September 7 (today). My speech was slurred too. I thought to myself what was that all about! I rode on, and around mile 35 I really hit the wall. I was taking in tons of water, even stopping at a park and drinking theirs so I would not deplete my Camelback. I ate a banana, and even after a 3-4 minute break, could not get rid of the sick feeling in my stomach like I was going to hurl. I stopped sweating, I was having a hard time catching my breath too. I rode on. Finally, I made it back to my car at mile 39.31, and got inside the car and ran the AC. I was dizzy, and felt close to passing out. And I was alone. I drove home, and still even now at 638 pm PST, still feel like crap, but better than I did. I'm drinking 1/2 water, 1/2 Gatorade.

Sorry for the long post, but this Heat Stroke or whatever I have is no joke. I was stupid. I should not have gone out in this heat, and not for close to 40 miles. Thanks again to the OP, and my thoughts go out to the Family who lost their little Girl. Take care and be safe!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    A sign i noticed when pushing close is you can feel your pulse in the back of your head, like throbbing

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This should be a sticky on every area

AZ
    banned
    Bump because its relevant.

mtbr member
    Should be made into a sticky

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurr View Post
    Should be made into a sticky

/\ Agree, how do we get it done? Mods?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dusty Chaps - Heat Stroke - YouTube.
    Heatstroke, The Dusty Chaps
    agmtb

mtbr member
    I almost had heat stroke once, i think technically it was heat exhaustion. Ever since then temperature hasnt bothered me. I love extreme heat now and cold doeant bother me as much.

It was a weird but cool experience...although quite dangerous.

REALLY?
    Quote Originally Posted by GotoDengo View Post

Rapid pulse -- if you're riding pretty hard it's arleady up
    You stop sweating -- I'm such a sweathog and my shirt and bandana would already be soaked enough that I'm not sure I would notice.
    Disorientation -- I tend to get disoriented whenever I'm on an unmarked trail anyway
    Difficult breathing -- I guess there's a difference in heavy breathing vs. difficult breathing
    High body temperature -- Probably hard to tell if you're riding hard on a hot day as well.
    I usually have all those symptoms anyway...I dont rely on anything to tell me when I'm about to have a heat stroke - I just know, and slow down accordingly.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Been close to HS a couple of times. No fun at all.

Ride More, Whine Less
    This is a story from a few years back that really rocked the local Charleston tri scene:

Story in Yahoo! Groups

The Post and Courier - Google News Archive Search

Here was a physician that knew the symptoms. All he had to do was listen to his body, but he didn't. There was race pressure to finish near the top.

One of the best warning signs is "sticky palms". Yes, it sounds like a joke which is why you will remember it. When you are sweating, your hands stay wet. Once you stop sweating, they become tacky. Stop immediately and rest even if you are a few hundred yards from the finish. It could save your life.

Perpetual Hack
    Been there, done that, got the T-shirt but don't want to wear it.

One thing to remember is electolyte imbalance is a contributing factor.
    If you are drinking large quantities of water and sweating profusely you will also be losing salts, so you need to replace them.

If you don't like gatoraide or simialar, one old trick is to add a pinch of salt, sugar and a couple drops of lemon juice to the plain water in the camelback. This helps keep the electrolytes in balance as you sweat.

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    I have been close to HS not cool at all. Not something I care to experience ever again. Good thing to check is that your camelback in not leaking the one day I was rushing and not looking everything over that's what I get get. Riding 6 miles back in 90 degrees with nothing to drink Lesson learned for me...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Ideally, if a man is 200 lbs. he should end the ride weighing 200 lbs. This is due to the constant fluid intake. More people have heat stroke per year than hypothermia. Probably do to the fact that we actually are warm blooded and most enjoy the warmer weather. You should start and end the ride with your urine running fairly clear. If you drink enough liquid during the ride it will.

mtbr member
    Great tips. Felt it coming on a couple of times last year when biking in 110+ weather. As soon as I noticed I shut it down and called it a day. Have to listen to your body.

they took the bar
    A couple years back, did an epic in July. Got a late start, around 7:30am. By 10am it was 105F, and the monsoon was in full swing here in AZ. About 3 miles from my home, got the chills, stopped sweating, running nose, did the vomiting, etc. Having the chills when it's now 110? not good.

to make matters worse, I looked up and 3 buzzards were circling around overhead. I was afraid to wash my face over in one of irrigation canals, being fearful of passing out while bending over, and falling in.

I stopped under a freeway overpass, and waited in the shade for a bit. I made it home safely, but swore I'd never do that again.

No more late starts in the Summer, and I'll leave the epics for Fall, Winter, and Spring...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast