mtbr member

Headsweats / do-rag

My head sweats a ton. Now that the warmer weather is here, I have to stop repeatedly to wipe the sweat that is poring down my face, on my glasses, so on and so forth. I'm sure you get the idea.

My question is this - do those headsweats things do the job? They seem kinda pricey for a piece of material, IMO. I've tried a basic terry cloth headband, which I did not like at all. I'm experimenting with some other options, but was curious as to the general opinion on these things.

Muchas gracias.

mtbr member

We get titles?
    Yes, Headsweats work. As long as you're moving. They do seem to be overpriced, but I've found them to be well worth it in the long run.

mtbr member
    I am bald and have been using the Halo headband for the same reason. It works wonderful. It took some getting used to as you do have a slight "wet" feeling on your forehead, but once you realize it isn't running down in your eyes you forget about it. yes, $13 is expensive for a headband, but it works.
    "Kurt is up in heaven now."

RIP Vonnegut

Samsonite Tester
    A Buff worn under the helmet works good to.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

desert dweller

Headsweats

Definately works. I live and ride in Las Vegas and I use one of the beany models winter (insulation) and summer (sweat and sun protection). They work very well. Bandanas are okay but don't hold water as well. I'd like to try the Halo - but I like the sun protection of the beany. If it's nice and sunny (all the time) I even pull it over my ears to protect them from the sun as well. I look like a goon with out my helmet on with the little black beany -- but it works.

mbb

We get titles?
    The thing the headsweat does that headbands and beanies don't do is it wicks moisture out through its tails. I was skepitcal at first, but it really does work, as I said, as long as you're moving. If you're standing still for a while, but still sweating, sweat will begin to drip down your face. But as soon as you get moving, the wind works with those tails to wick the sweat away.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by mattbikeboy
    Definately works. I live and ride in Las Vegas and I use one of the beany models winter (insulation) and summer (sweat and sun protection). They work very well. Bandanas are okay but don't hold water as well. I'd like to try the Halo - but I like the sun protection of the beany. If it's nice and sunny (all the time) I even pull it over my ears to protect them from the sun as well. I look like a goon with out my helmet on with the little black beany -- but it works.

mbb
    I just bought the Halo headband last week. I live in St. George, Utah so our weather is similar to LV (BLAST FURNACE HOT). I was sick of having sweat run down my face and onto my glasses so I though I would give the Halo headband a try. My wife used it when it first arrived on a road ride. What sold her was half way through the ride she dumped half a water bottle over her head to cool down and none of the water ran down her face and glasses like it usually would. She had me order her one the next day

"I'd like to try the Halo - but I like the sun protection of the beany."

They come in all kinds of styles, check out their products page.
    http://www.haloheadband.com/products.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    [QUOTE=notrelatedtoted]My head sweats a ton. Now that the warmer weather is here, I have to stop repeatedly to wipe the sweat that is poring down my face, on my glasses, so on and so forth. I'm sure you get the idea.

My question is this - do those headsweats things do the job? They seem kinda pricey for a piece of material, IMO. I've tried a basic terry cloth headband, which I did not like at all. I'm experimenting with some other options, but was curious as to the general opinion on these things.

Muchas gracias.[/QUOTEI]

I sweat like a pig and would never ride without one...soaks up all the sweat that would normally get in my eyes and wicks it away. When I take it off after a ride, it is soaked, I could probably wring it out (kinda nasty I know).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Halo works....

I've got the wrap and headband versions....

Gus, just Gus.
    May 2005
    I like the UnderArmor head thingy... it breathes pretty well and doesn't make me hotter. I also have a Nike Dri-Fit ball cap that is AWESOME! It has a good sweatband and is very very lightweight material.

mtbr member

Check out this post from 4 weeks ago...

It might help.

No Sweat

I've been wearing Headsweats (just because they seem to be the easiest to get) for a couple years now. While I've always used a sweat band to keep the sweat somewhat out of my eyes, I had gotten sunburned (with nice vent shapes) on my ol' bald head on a long summer's day ride so I decided to try the Headsweats. I use 'em on every ride instead of a headband now, they work better and I don't find that they make my head all that much warmer on a hot day (use cotton version for the hotter days but I don't go looking for a ride on a really hot day either; use coolmax versions rest of the time), and they definitely help keep the heat in on a cold day. But hey, I'm a bald guy with a really sweaty head, I need all the help I can get.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Another vote for Halo. Keeps sweat away from eyes and glasses for over a year now.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

mtbr member

Thanks all!

Sounds like all the products out there do the job one way or another. The halo thing sounds intriguing.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

sweatshoot works better.

I tried the Halo, but it doesn't work as well as the sweatshoot.

The sweatshoot has a silicone gutter on the bottom that works 100% vs the Helo that works maybe 95%.

The sweatshoot has been around longer although it doesn't seem to have as many distribution channels. I think the Halo is an attempt to use the same idea without violating the patent.

Plus the sweatshoot is cheaper, particularly if you order several.

http://www.sweatshoot.com/headband.htm
    TEX

One wheeled
    Another one to consider is Cold Lizard ( http://www.coldlizard.com/cgi/wc.dll...log~DETAIL~160 ). They don't run the headband all the way around, just in front. Available in both regular fabric and Coolmax for $12.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

bandanas

I can see how the various synthetics would wick better, but I'm fundamentally cheap. I went with the $2 bandana, and it does the job, plus covers my head so I don't sunburn through the vents.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've been testing the Halo. It is the tie headband. It works ok. Not the second coming as advertised. I got several drops of sweat in the eyeglasses today. Have alo tried a PACE helmet liner. That worked pretty well. Am going to go back to that and do a better comparison.
    My training BLOG

training BLOG for a regular joe Married w/ children, Full time Job, No Genetic talent, wanna-be mountain bike racer

Morris Training Primer