mtbr member
    May 2012

Headset reducers?

So I've read a decent number of threads, but can't really figure it out. I have an '08 SC Bullit with a 1.5" headtube, I want to run a DC on it with 1 1/8" steerer. I have a 1 1/8" Chris King headset from a different bike, so basically, my question is, do the reducers go in the head tube, then the headset goes inside those? Sorry its kind of a dumb question...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've not used headset reducers but I believe they do get pressed into the frame to reduce the internal dia of the headset.

There are a lot of reducer headsets now. CaneCreek makes the s40 which is very nice. I'd rather have a reducerheadset instead of pressing reducing cups into the head tube. Just as I don't like reducer crown races. Only my opinion...

mtbr member
    Reducers fit in the headtube and reduce the internal dia of the headtube to fit the smaller headset and steer tube. Problemsolvers has this item, go to the site and look at the pics, should answer your question.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have both, headset reducers and a reduced headset.
    The headset reducers were used on a cannondale frame (1.5) that I wanted to put a
    1 1/8 fork. I later switched to a Cane Creek reduced headset. Works way better. You can use your king headset with the reducers. The Cane Creek reduced headset is in really good shape. It fits the 1.5 and uses a 1 1/8 fork. I prefer the Cane Creek myself. If you want I'll give you the reducers or sell you the Cane creek. The Cane Creek is way better. Just pm me if interested