mtbr member

Upset Headset problem (King)

When I arrived from work found the box that I've been waiting for, it was a rigid fork and a King crown race. My wife and kids were out so out to wrench I went.

Removed the squishy fork, installed the new race on the new fork, mocked up, marked the steerer tube and cut the tube; so far so good.

Installed the star nut and proceded to tighten things up, nothing tightened. Verified and the star nut was almost out the tube, reinstalled and gave it another try to no avail, same result. Repeated that until the star nut broke, lucky for me I had another.

Installed the second nut and removed the race from the old fork. Installed the race and proceeded to thighten, the same happened, this time I didn't broke the nut but the darn headset doesn't compress.

Can someone tell me what's going on? It's a King threadless headset on a Dimension fork.

Sweep the leg!
    So when you tighten the star fangled dnut it pulls out of the steer tube? That's not a headset issue if I've read your description correctly. You could try a compression plug. I've used one with success.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...sion+Plug.aspx
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    The bearing cap doesn't seems move and that's why the nut slides up.

I'm going to try to get a compression nut to see what happens.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Do you have enough space between the top of the stem clamp and the top of the steer tube? There must be at least 3mm after the HS is adjusted correctly. You may need more to let everything settle in place.

At the very least try a extra spacer over the stem and see if it makes a difference.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

JORBA: Six Mile Run
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Do you have enough space between the top of the stem clamp and the top of the steer tube?
    If the star nut isn't moving, I'd say this is the ticket.

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    When I arrived from work found the box that I've been waiting for, it was a rigid fork and a King crown race. My wife and kids were out so out to wrench I went.

Removed the squishy fork, installed the new race on the new fork, mocked up, marked the steerer tube and cut the tube; so far so good.

Installed the star nut and proceded to tighten things up, nothing tightened. Verified and the star nut was almost out the tube, reinstalled and gave it another try to no avail, same result. Repeated that until the star nut broke, lucky for me I had another.

Installed the second nut and removed the race from the old fork. Installed the race and proceeded to thighten, the same happened, this time I didn't broke the nut but the darn headset doesn't compress.

Can someone tell me what's going on? It's a King threadless headset on a Dimension fork.
    Is the star nut slipping out of the fork, does it "pull out" of the fork when you tighten the top cap down? You mentioned Dimension fork... it is steel, right? If so I bet the ID of the steel steerer is larger than what the star nut you are using is designed for... I think most alu forks have a smaller ID... plus the star nut will "bite" into the soft alu better than steel...

I have a steel steerer tube on my Pike and I kept pulling the star nut out while tightening the headset; the star nut just would not stay put. I picked up one of those expandable wedge things and lock-tited it in place, no problems since.

mtbr member
    AW_ nailed it (I guess), the star nut doesn't seem to bite the steerer tube and slips out. This is the first time I deal with a steel steerer tube and that's why it got me by surprise.

I'm going to try to get one of those compression plugs to see what happens.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

There are star nuts that....

are designed for the larger ID of a steel steerer tube as well. We have them at the shop, two boxes one for 1 1/8 Alu, the other for 1 1/8 steel. The ones for steel do have a noticeably larger diameter. Most LBS's should have both, but you do need to specify. Either way, steel steerer star nut or the compression plug type system should work. The star nut's cheaper, but the compression plug is more convinient. Your choice.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Couldn't find a star nut for the steel steerer tube but got some alternatives

1) FSA compression nut

2) Marzocchi Stem Lock

The one in the pic is from Answer Products, the Zocchi is similar.

Hopefully one of them will work.

I just let one RIP
    had same problem of starnut pulling out on my KM fork. Friend of mine said that King packages a starnut designed for aluminum steerers with their headsets. have to order the starnut for steel steerers separately. I just installed a cheapo starnut from the bin at the shop and have had no problems since.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Which is amusing since for most fork makers, Al steerers are identical wall thickness to steel steerers.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Guess what? None of the options worked.

The Zocchi bolt was short (will try to get a longer one later on), and the FSA nut didn't grabbed the tube at all.

Decided the give the good ol' star nut another try, it worked; now everything is nice and tight.

Will return the FSA tomorrow and will try to get a longer bolt for the Zocchi.

mtbr member
    This is how it looks