Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Headset Issues

Live 2 Ride

Headset Issues

No matter what I do, this headset will not tighten up. I was curious if anyone knows if I am missing some parts. I think it is an integrated headset, I don't see any headset cups, I think the bearing sit inside the frame. It's on a friend's 2011 Diamondback Response Sport. All it says on top is Aheadset MFG by Cane Creek with a patent number.

Headset Issues-2014-08-06-18.15.40.jpg
    Headset Issues-2014-08-06-18.15.46.jpg
    Headset Issues-2014-08-06-18.15.58.jpg
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Readin & Postin since '02
    Jul 2006
    Is the captive nut inside the steer tube slipping?

Live 2 Ride
    I checked that. Nope, it's not slipping. And the shims put the stem about 1/16 of an inch above the steer tube so that's all good. Yet when I tighten down the top cap to the point there is no play the fork with not move, like the headset is bearing down too hard on the bearings. So I back off the bolt and have to deal with some slop and play. I would change out the headset, but it looks like I can't. Maybe I'm missing a piece? I have everything I think.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Depending on your headset cap, 1/16" might not be enough space. If you have some misc. spacers around try and get 1/8" gap and see if it will snug down better. Some caps recess down into the stem a little bit needing a bigger gap. Some cheaper open ball headsets (non-sealed cartridges) are either too tight, or a little sloppy, never a happy medium.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Your bearings are in backwards , ask me how I know .. Try flipping them around

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Don't know if it's suppose to have a bearing race on the fork ,but if it is . It is missing.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I think pictures of the whole thing disassembled would help. Have you looked at a user manual for Cane Creek's aheadset or base model headsets?

~ B A D A S S ~
    My guess is that its just plain old ebola.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I've had this happen to me a few weeks ago. The bottom bearing had fallen out when I took the fork off. Found the bearing and its been fine. Make sure you have all the parts.

Live 2 Ride
    Don't know if it's suppose to have a bearing race on the fork ,but if it is . It is missing.
    No, it's not missing. This is a zero stack headset so it is made to look that way. I took everything apart today, found the top bearing was in backwards. Gave the bearings some new grease and put the headset back together. Still had issues so I swapped out the top with a newer zero stack setup. The headset still binds if I apply to much pressure on the top cap. Seems fine now, but i want to switch to a better headset.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by ijimmy View Post
    Your bearings are in backwards , ask me how I know .. Try flipping them around
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    No, it's not missing. This is a zero stack headset so it is made to look that way. I took everything apart today, found the top bearing was in backwards. Gave the bearings some new grease and put the headset back together. Still had issues so I swapped out the top with a newer zero stack setup. The headset still binds if I apply to much pressure on the top cap. Seems fine now, but i want to switch to a better headset.
    So it sounds like ijimmy gave you a good lead on what to look at. Well done.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

official eMpTyBRain
    wrong bearings for the cups maybe?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Live 2 Ride
    I've tried other bearings. None other fit. :/

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I had a similar problem. Don't know why it worked but loosen both stem's steerer tube clamp bolts. Then take off headset bearing tension.

Lift front wheel of ground about 10-1-5 inches and let it drop a few times.

Put preload on tighten clamp bolts. Good luck.
    honda seatcovers
    winter warm and summer cool
    little lambs no more

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Di u have the right crown race? Wrong one wo i ld do exactly as described..

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I had the same issue not too long ago. 1/16" was not enough space between the steerer tube and the top of the headset. I put an extra spacer(the smallest I could find) in there and it took the slop right out without having to crank on the top cap.

If you took out your bearings, make sure you re-inserted them in the correct direction as well.

Live 2 Ride
    Anyone know if you can go from a zero stack setup to a regular cup setup on a bike made for a zero stack?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    There are regular headsets for the 44mm I.D "zerostack" system, usually the bottom cup so you can convert to a tapered steerer. You pic looks like it's only 44mm for a very short distance right at the ends where your current race is pressed in, so that wouldn't be a very goo option.

mtbr member
    When you installed everything was the tire touching the ground? When I replaced my headset and had the tire touching I noticed that it wouldn't fit together right and I had the same slop your talking about. And one I had to tire lifted off the ground everything went it to place just fine. I have a 2014 Diamondback response xe and the headset I installed was a Cane Creek 40 series.

~ B A D A S S ~
    I actually bang my front tire in the ground once and to make sure everything is seated properly. I have a 40 series too and have had no serious problems. Only thing I noticed is that they need to be retorqued after some use but after that no probs. its the cheapest crap they have I think so I can't really ask for much.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    The 10 series is the cheapest in their line up.

mtbr member

Headset Issues

The problem is you need micro shim spacers between the split compression ring and top bearing cap. When you tighten the stem cap to compress everything together you need these spacers so that the top bearing cap only compresses on the top surface of the split ring to avoid binding with bearing cup or headtube - that is exactly why when you tighten down everything the fork is stuck and cannot turn. Often Cane creek headsets will not include these but will offer some on request and sometimes you need to stack 2-3 to get the space needed to prevent binding . That's the vital piece you are missing.

mtbr member
    Why do they not include the micro shims if there is possibility that they might be needed?

mtbr member

Headset Issues

I agree. Ask CC

mtbr member
    I'm going to do just because I think that is just dumb, now I can kind of see why they don't include them if they think your having it installed at your lbs but if they don't have any in stock you sol anyhow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast