mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Hayes Disc set up issue

Just putting the finishing touches on my new Kona Hei-Hei 2-9 build. I bought some Hayes Stroker disc brakes and as I tighten the rear caliper mounting bolts the caliper creeps over slightly causing the pads to engage on the rotor. There were no washers to go between the mounting bolt and caliper, would installing some fix this problem. The front went together with no issues.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Rockridge; 04-27-2011 at 06:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    So It turns out that I was setting it up properly but there is another problem. The rotor contacts the caliper before the axle is fully seated in the drop out. The axle is about 3/16" from fully engaged in the non drive drop out but the rotor is bottomed out against the caliper. I'm not certain that the adaptor is a Hayes part.

If I raise the caliper on the mount so that the axle can seat in the dropout then the pads are not totally on the rotor, is this a problem?

Stiff yet compliant
    The caliper creeping over is probably due to the mounting flange not being totally flat. A washer might help, or if you are more brave you could file a little material off the flange to make it flat.

The clearance issue is either the wrong adaptor or wrong size rotor. Hayes uses a 180mm mid size rotor and some other companies use 185mm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Are you sure you have the right caliper adapter for your rotor size? Sounds like the problem. It doesnt have to be a hayes part, they all use the same standard.

As far as caliper alignment, I just squeeze the brake lever while tightening the caliper bolts. If that doesn't get it perfectly aligned, I put a piece of paper between each pad and the rotor then squeeze the lever and tighten the caliper.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    sounds like my adaptor is incorrect then, I'm running a 160mm in the rear, the adaptor I'm using came with the Avid rotors.

is it imperative that all the pad contact the rotor? Or can the overhang the edge a bit..