nimble biker

Has anyone measure their blood pressure after a regular ride?

I am not referring to racing ride.

What is a good blood pressure for most bikers?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Its going to be high immediately after your ride. BP is ideally measured first thing in the morning. You need to take it once a day everyday for at least a week to establish what's normal for you.
    Exercise of almost any kind will reduce your blood pressure over time, however diet and genetics come into play as well. As long as you're at or below 120/80 you're ok. If you're concerned go see your gp.
    Bp really isn't a great measure of fitness. Heart rate maybe a better thing to measure.

mtbr member
    I have, and surprisingly (for me) it was lower than it normally is. I'm talking 30-40 minutes after. Not immediately after. I forget the exact numbers, like 110/70. But normally it is around 122/80. Also, your age makes a difference. As you get older it goes up.

www.derbyrims.com
    A few times I did, it was usually about 10 points lower the next day after a good 20+ mile trail ride.

I'm no blood doc. It seems reasonable that the arteries and veins get stretched to flow blood with less restriction while riding and remain larger volume and easier flowing for some time, and I would reason that fat in blood and tissues, which could restrict flow, have been reduced in fat saturation having been metabolized more completely on the recent ride.

I've read that near or below 120/80 BP is very good.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post

I am not referring to racing ride.

What is a good blood pressure for most bikers?
    I have quite regularly after my commute home....the ride is 25 km and has about 1000 ft of ups and downs...
    By the time I get from the garage to the living room my heart rate is about 100, and the blood pressure is about 100 over 75.....

Normally at rest I will have a heart rate of 52 and a blood pressure of 120 over 90...

So immedidiately after a ride it is much lower.

Bikers tend to have really good cardio systems...

BP less than 120 over 85....Pulse less than 60...

My record low pulse was 37.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattcz View Post
    Exercise of almost any kind will reduce your blood pressure over time, however diet and genetics come into play as well. As long as you're at or below 120/80 you're ok. .
    Diet and stress can change it fairly quickly. I was in a drugstore a week ago and took a free bp test and it came back 145/95 and i was kind of freaked as my norm is 120/80 and genetics are not stellar. It occurred to me that the bread and cheese diet and bad sleep might be taking its toll. Fast forward a week and after eliminating sodium,using fish oil capsules and garlic supplements etc it has slowly come down to normal. The bonus is better excercise capacity which I think i could feel yesterday

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Has anyone measure their blood pressure after a regular ride?

My resting heart rate is around 55,bp is usually 124/76 or so. My systolic skyrockets during a workout, but my diastolic drops. I usually get to around 170/65 during a workout/ride.

trail addict
    Not sure why you would take blood pressure after a ride.... it will probably vary drastically depending on the intensity and duration of the ride as well as whether you are talking 30 seconds after or 30 minutes after.... FWIW, I'm pretty sure blood pressure can vary just depending on whether you are sitting or standing. Ideally, you measure it sitting and relaxed, otherwise whatever numbers you get are only relative to the situation you are in.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack View Post
    Ideally, you measure it sitting and relaxed, otherwise whatever numbers you get are only relative to the situation you are in.
    I read that the thing to do is pick a time of day to measure and stick with that for consistency. Also sitting at a table with left elbow at heart level and feet uncrossed. Further i noticed that if i just sat down and measured it would invariably be a bit lower after relaxing for 3 or 4 minutes

nimble biker
    oops. it was a typo error.

I meant heart rate. What is a good heart rate for a healthy mountain biker?