mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Has anyone ever tried individual portable oxygen?

I was playing around the internet and came across this Oxy2Go - World's Smallest Portable Oxygen System - Great for athletes, migraine sufferers, college students, truck drivers, the military

I wonder if it would be nice to use out on a long ride. A couple quick bursts of pure oxygen delivered directly into your lungs

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    OR you could get a mess of those and set up an oxygen bar on your favorite trails and start raking in the dough

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Buy bulk and set up a station during a race.

Tool
    Been doing this with nitrous for years. Never thought about doing it with oxygen.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

Beer Me!
    Better yet, what if we could just increase our red blood cell count so we can kick everyone's ass on the uphills, oh wait.......

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Would you consider using this to be cheating?

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by 99mikegt View Post
    Would you consider using this to be cheating?
    No, if your not competing haha To be honest i don't even see doping as a problem as long as your not competing. But in a race i probably would have a problem with the guy who beat me if i knew he was sucking on pure Oxygen

I don't want to derail the thread though, unless this is considered on topic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    No worries. I want to know what people think about this. I wonder if it would really help out before a long climb, or maybe at the top of a long climb. A few breaths of oxygen to help catch up.

Beer Me!
    No worries. I want to know what people think about this. I wonder if it would really help out before a long climb, or maybe at the top of a long climb. A few breaths of oxygen to help catch up.
    I could totally be talking out of my a$$ on this one, but i would think it may inhibit your overall fitness improvement. Here is my potentially flawed logic: your body produces more red blood cells when it knows it needs them, in order to provide your manly muscles with enough oxygen to prevent them from going into the anaerobic phase of lactic acid production. If you are providing it with "boosts" of pure O2, you are falsifying the amount of oxygen normally available, and tricking your body into thinking it needs less red blood cells. Something to the effect of making your body think your riding at sea level rather than 12000ft.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ^^

note: I'm intentionally over-simplifying this.

Current research regarding heart attacks and major trauma are suggesting that an excess of oxygen could be detrimental to your health and survival of those events. In the studies I have read recently, it has nothing to do with the body's production of red blood cells, but other factors. Your body is only capable of carrying and using a certain amount of oxygen molecules. Whatever is not bound to hemoglobin on the cells is dissolved gas in the blood. If the o2 molecule looses an electron to something else it is known as 02 free radical and are thought to lead to cellular death.

Of course these studies pertain to heart attacks and incidents of trauma, not presumably healthy athletes. Point being,while oxygen is necessary for human life, too much is not necessary harmless and exhaled.

The Wiking
    The body consumes a very small part of the oxygen you inhale.. so unless you suffer from low saturation, a few bursts of pure oxygen won't do much, besides increase the level of oxygen in your expiration...

You would have to expose your lung tissue to a greater concentration of oxygen for a longer period for this to have any effect!
    with speed, shall technique be conquered

The streets are the sketchiest of trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    this is all good stuff. glad i consulted the experts at MTBR before i laid out my hard earned $$ like a sucker

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Radon View Post
    The body consumes a very small part of the oxygen you inhale.. so unless you suffer from low saturation, a few bursts of pure oxygen won't do much, besides increase the level of oxygen in your expiration...

You would have to expose your lung tissue to a greater concentration of oxygen for a longer period for this to have any effect!
    I won't disagree with that. Small amounts of oxygen in short bursts is more likely to do nothing at all than give any benefits or cause harm. In a normal person, your exhaled breath contains 17% O2, compared to the 21% of ambient sea-level air. I was more commenting on the hypothesis of bodily harm due to increased O2 supply than I was about this product.

The Wiking
    Quote Originally Posted by emtnate View Post
    I won't disagree with that. Small amounts of oxygen in short bursts is more likely to do nothing at all than give any benefits or cause harm. In a normal person, your exhaled breath contains 17% O2, compared to the 21% of ambient sea-level air. I was more commenting on the hypothesis of bodily harm due to increased O2 supply than I was about this product.

I'm not to keen to discuss whether over-exposure to oxygen would produce free radicals, but a higher concentration of oxygen in the lungs will decrease the number of red bloodcells, wich would be pretty bad from an athletes point of view!
    with speed, shall technique be conquered

The streets are the sketchiest of trails.

mtbr member
    I can just see all the lawsuits as the pot smoking mountain bikers start blowing themselves up. I knew I shoulda been a lawyer!

Tool
    this is all good stuff. glad i consulted the experts at MTBR before i laid out my hard earned $$ like a sucker
    More Info Here

Back on point, while I've never tried oxygen in an athletic context, when they put me on it pre-surgery, I couldn't detect any difference except it being very, very dry. My personal, unfounded theory is that oxy will help if you're not in a healthy state for any reason, so if that unhealthy state takes the form of an athlete who has pushed past his aerobic limit, it may help the short-term recovery. Unlike a football or hoop player, however, the non-racing cyclist should know his body and current condition well enough to avoid an unhealthy condition on the trail.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Safety meeting doesnt sound so safe anymore huh?
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Team Livemedium
    I had an altitude attack after riding and skiing really hard for a week last spring in Boulder. ER bills close to $3000 for them to put a tube under my nose for a few hours and give me a blood test. I was really hydrated but also feel that too much espresso/caffeine messed me up as well. I had some altitude spells after the ER visit and just chilled out with oxygen up my nose at a buddy's glass blowing shop.I will be bringing oxygen next time I hit real elevations. I'm a welder so if my doc won't give me a prescription, I'll just bring my own.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My Grand Father used the Portable Oxygen Concentrator. As The Portable Oxygen is the additional oxygen provided for the patients who are in requirement of the Oxygen for their body by using an external device. The portable oxygen concentrators are small, portable devices that separate oxygen from nitrogen and other gases in the air and provide oxygen to users at greater than 90 percent concentration . They do not use compressed or liquid oxygen, which the government classifies as hazardous material.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I am all for technical innovations. Maybe I'll draw the line at electronic shifting. But we've really jumped the shark if we start using supplemental oxygen.

ouch....
    My buddy tried it on a ski trip, ended up feeling like crap the rest of the day, had to laugh.
    Riding.....