mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Has anyone ever happily downgraded bikes?

I ride a 2014 tallboy. Love it. It's awesome. But like most people I got upgradeitis and am constantly checking Craigslist for a long travel 29er, or a Nomad.... or whatever is better/different than what I have now.

It got me wondering if anyone you folks ever happily downgraded bikes and are completely happy?
    Has anyone ridden a like a $7K s-works stumpjumper with an Eagle drive train, saint brakes and downgraded happily to like a base model $1500 alloy camber and never looked back? Or are we mostly spoiled once we ride the better bike packages? What are your thoughts?

oootard
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantastic79 View Post
    I ride a 2014 tallboy. Love it. It's awesome. But like most people I got upgradeitis and am constantly checking Craigslist for a long travel 29er, or a Nomad.... or whatever is better/different than what I have now.

It got me wondering if anyone you folks ever happily downgraded bikes and are completely happy?
    Has anyone ridden a like a $7K s-works stumpjumper with an Eagle drive train, saint brakes and downgraded happily to like a base model $1500 alloy camber and never looked back? Or are we mostly spoiled once we ride the better bike packages? What are your thoughts?
    We are spoiled.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    No, not happily.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Downgrading suspension doesn't work.
    Downgrading wheels and tires is no fun either, but it's not as important as suspension.
    All other parts are just extra bling to some extent..

mtbr member
    when I go visit my son in Colorado I ride a SC Hightower and love it but I did leave it there as I do feel that it is overkill for what I have what I ride here in TX. Here I ride a hardtail and I enjoy it just as much but if I honestly had to choose between the two the SC would come out on top.

mtbr member
    Went from a 2014 Kona Process 134 to a 2012 Transition Bandit & I was happier on the Bandit (until it broke) >.<

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

MTB B'dos
    I'd say in most cases that no, doesn't work, although parts are greatly improved these days compared to 5 years ago, the higher ends stuff is generally a bit lighter, has better sealing, bearings instead of bushings etc, etc.

What I'm curious about is why you're looking for more travel than your TB has, do you regularly hit jumps/drops greater than 3ft? Hit the bike park regularly, riding the double black trail? Because if you're not doing any of that on a regular basis and most likely won't, the TB is a more than capable XC/Trail bike.

My suggestion if you think that it's holding you back is to register and take a proper skills course/class and work on you, as that's actually more than likely what's holding you back, don't try throwing travel to make up for lack of skill
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorp View Post
    Downgrading wheels and tires is no fun either, but it's not as important as suspension.
    Agreed. My first FS was a base model. Anytime after demoing a nicer bike, the suspension is always what I missed most after going back to mine. The better brakes or nicer shifting drivetrain were always nice but I could live without those. However, once you feel better forks/shocks, it's hard to go back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I'd say in most cases that no, doesn't work, although parts are greatly improved these days compared to 5 years ago, the higher ends stuff is generally a bit lighter, has better sealing, bearings instead of bushings etc, etc.

What I'm curious about is why you're looking for more travel than your TB has, do you regularly hit jumps/drops greater than 3ft? Hit the bike park regularly, riding the double black trail? Because if you're not doing any of that on a regular basis and most likely won't, the TB is a more than capable XC/Trail bike.

My suggestion if you think that it's holding you back is to register and take a proper skills course/class and work on you, as that's actually more than likely what's holding you back, don't try throwing travel to make up for lack of skill
    Thank you for your input. You are probably right. There is nothing wrong with my Tallboy. I don't do big drops or bike parks. It does everything I ask of it very well, and I have a ton of fun on it on every trail so far.

I guess what bothers me is I bottom out suspension on the front and rear pretty often. When I say bottom out, I'm just referring to the rubber band thingy on my fork and shock. Bike feels fine, stable, comfortable when ridng. It got me wondering what my runs would feel like on a longer travel bike.

Maybe the best course is to rent a longer travel 29er or 27+ bike and see if I like it. But you are correct. I probably need to work on my skills than throw more suspension in the mix.

mtbr member
    I guess what bothers me is I bottom out suspension on the front and rear pretty often. When I say bottom out, I'm just referring to the rubber band thingy on my fork and shock. Bike feels fine, stable, comfortable when ridng.
    Possibly a stupid question, but have you checked to see if the suspension sag is set properly for you? Having said that, if you're not bottoming out your suspension at least a few times every ride on your regular trails, you probably have too much travel for the trails you're riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairbanks007 View Post
    Possibly a stupid question, but have you checked to see if the suspension sag is set properly for you? Having said that, if you're not bottoming out your suspension at least a few times every ride on your regular trails, you probably have too much travel for the trails you're riding.
    Yep. Check my sag and I'm good. You're probably right about bottoming out regularly. My last bike was a 26" nomad with 160 fork. I never bottomed that out, but then again I didn't ride as hard as I do now.

MTB B'dos
    I'd highly suggest you either up your pressure 5-10 PSI and/or add some volume spacers, should end easily bottoming out.

Yep. Check my sag and I'm good. You're probably right about bottoming out regularly. My last bike was a 26" nomad with 160 fork. I never bottomed that out, but then again I didn't ride as hard as I do now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I'd highly suggest you either up your pressure 5-10 PSI and/or add some volume spacers, should end easily bottoming out.
    Thanks I'll try that.

slow
    Yes,
    A few years ago I happily downgraded the brakes on my Trance from hydraulic to mechanical for more ease of service in the back country.

Last year I got rid of my 2014 Niner Jet 9 and went back to a 2008 FELT Nine hardtail as my primary ride because I prefer the simplicity and the way the hardtail rides.

Last month, just 8 weeks after purchase, I downgraded the wheels, fork, cranks, and drive train on my current main rider because I wanted the parts on all of my bikes to be interchangeable and didn't want to deal with proprietary parts and expensive replacements. Gone are the carbon Lefty, Project 321 Wheels, and the XX-1 drivetrain, all replaced with downgraded components.

mtbr member
    Whether it's an upgrade or a downgrade is sometimes a matter of opinion, or situation specific. More is not always better.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Whether it's an upgrade or a downgrade is sometimes a matter of opinion, or situation specific. More is not always better.
    +1

I used to think I had to have a CF frame and hoops. Then I got an alloy bike and wheels and realized I could afford another bike. I gave my CF stuff to my friend and my wife and have not missed it.

I had, probably, over 6k in my last CF bike. While I owned it I bought a used steel HT for 800, rode it on the Divide, then sold it for 700. So yes, specific situation.

mtbr member
    If it makes you happy, how is it a downgrade?
    trust the tread

'06 Cannondale Prophet 1000

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Not downgraded, but resisted upgrades. I'm stuck at Mechanical Discs, coil spring, open oil bath forks, Steel, Ht, 26. 6 speed drive train, just left the SS only world after over 15 years. As simple as possible, cheap, back of the Bubble. I wrote a piece about living at the back of the Bubble.

https://mtbvt.com/archives/20642

One ring to mash them all
    Years ago I bought a rigid steel SS 29er for $250 as a training bike. 2 months later I sold my FS geared bike and have been riding SS ever since. Best downgrade I ever made.
    “Weak men cannot handle power. It will either crush them, or they will use it to crush others.”
    ― Jocelyn Murray

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Not sure if it was a downgrade, but I went from a 2015 Giant Reign 2, to a 2016 Commencal Meta TR. Couldn't be happier..

Keep on Rockin...
    Went from a $3000 carbon frame to a $1400 frame. Picked up that frame on sale as a backup and to hang spare parts on. Turns out that frame suit my riding style and needs far better. Better geo, better suspension design.

So, while cost-wise it was a significant down grade it turned out to be a performance upgrade.

Would I be really happy with a performance downgrade on my main rig - no.

mtbr member
    Nope, not yet, I am still on my way up. I used to ride my stepdaughters 24" huffy, I could ride down hills that I could not walk up, and comfortably come to a controlled stop. Did not have to think about corners no matter how sharp they were. Went from that to an abandoned 29" someone left at work, put $185 into it with low gears, tires etc. Do not miss that bike-35 lb hardtail. Put the mountain bike gears on an old road bike with gravel tires, it is a good bike for steep roads and gravel, really bad on the single track. My upgrade is a 2015 Trek Excalibur, equilvant of a rockhopper. Very happy. Like to get a new Trek Fuel EX5 that is $1500, still not a hundred percent that I want the extra weight. My issue is climbing, and I do not really care about speed or cornering, the hardtail may be the best bike for me.
    How am I supposed to pick a line through this.

mtbr member
    I have my FS bike and my old ass 90s steel hardrock. While my FS Cannondale was down for repair I went out and rode the old bike. at that time it was single speed. very much of a downgrade in regards of design. But it was fun because it was different. And I was still faster than my friends. but thats not saying much.
    Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

mtbr member
    No. I have never downgraded, happily or not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    ^^^
    Kind of a similar thing only different. I built a new aluminum Stache single speed with a rigid carbon fork and descent light weight (1800gram) 35mm AL wheels. The handle bar and seat post are carbon. The bike weights 20.5lbs with 3" tires. So not exactly a cheap SS. I have been riding it exclusively (25+) rides since the middle of January.

Then yesterday I rode the '16 Fuel EX full carbon bike. (24lbs with 120mm front and rear) We rode 2000+ vertical with only 12 miles. The terrain was full chunk with loads of rock gardens and drops.

You know what? The SS is super fun, but it doesn't do what the FEX does. Apples and Oranges for sure. But the FEX is a broadsword while the SS Stache is a scalpel.

There are lots of legitimate reasons to ride a less expensive bike from a more expensive bike. Sometimes that change isn't always downgrade. If the older bike was state-of-the-art 10 years ago (or even 5 years ago) and the new bike is middle of the pack today, the new bike will be almost always be better. Bikes have changed that much. But make no mistake of it, all things being equal, going down will never be as satisfying.

mtbr member
    It's tough to downgrade. Like driving an Audi and then swapping over to a Kia. Once you have a nice piece of equipment, anything less is a bummer.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

turtles make me hot
    Not so sure that I'd call this a down grade but I used to ride a full suspension Stumpjumper 29er and thought I would never ride anything but FS again. Now, I ride a rigid fat bike and a rigid Surly Krampus.
    I might put a Pike on the Krampus... Jury's still out.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    It may be a physical downgrade but if if keeps you happy for something new who cares. unless its a next or huffy. then your gonna die.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

MTB B'dos
    Haven't really just done the exact same thing, had a rigid Monkey I use quite a bit, but just bought a new Unit with bit more modern geo than the '08 Monkey, enjoying riding that, rigid now on all my trails. Can't say except for the lack of suspension that it's a downgrade as it's all XT parts and decent wheels. Really is opening my eyes to just what you don't notice/take for granted when riding FS - never really rode the Monkey on the steeper, more tech trails, but riding the Unit on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Not so sure that I'd call this a down grade but I used to ride a full suspension Stumpjumper 29er and thought I would never ride anything but FS again. Now, I ride a rigid fat bike and a rigid Surly Krampus.
    I might put a Pike on the Krampus... Jury's still out.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    Yes, a long time ago, and still happy.

I was very much into "the latest and greatest" from the early 90's until about 2008, when I built up a rigid single speed out of old parts to commute to work, and found that bike was the most fun of all the bikes in my stable. I eventually sold all the other bikes, and never looked back.

I built up the bike I'm riding now for about $500.00, and it's the best bike I've ever owned. 26er with rigid frame and fork, 8 speed, v-brakes. It's the only bike I've ridden for years, and I have no plans to "upgrade".

mtbr member
    this is my downgrade ride when my FS is down or just feel like messing around and making my friends angry that im still faster than they are on an old bike.

unknown year specialized hardrock GSX. XT drivetrain 1x10 FSA SL-X canti brakes and carbon bar.

Has anyone ever happily downgraded bikes?-steel.jpg
    Frank Lloyd Wright

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thank you for your input. You are probably right. There is nothing wrong with my Tallboy. I don't do big drops or bike parks. It does everything I ask of it very well, and I have a ton of fun on it on every trail so far.

I guess what bothers me is I bottom out suspension on the front and rear pretty often. When I say bottom out, I'm just referring to the rubber band thingy on my fork and shock. Bike feels fine, stable, comfortable when ridng. It got me wondering what my runs would feel like on a longer travel bike.

Maybe the best course is to rent a longer travel 29er or 27+ bike and see if I like it. But you are correct. I probably need to work on my skills than throw more suspension in the mix.
    From what I've been told, you should be using all of your suspension at some point when you ride. I regularly bottom out as you described; not that I feel I need more suspension, I just notice the band is showing I used the fork to its full potential.

mtbr member
    Generally my fork or spork since it's a lefty gets about 3/4 to full travel. My rear bottoms out on a good dh run but I ride on trail mode on the ctd all the time. Only once have I knocked the o ring off but I also got a seat up my.... Then wrecked.

It's amazing what technique and body position can do. The best suspension is you, not the bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    It's tough to downgrade. Like driving an Audi and then swapping over to a Kia. Once you have a nice piece of equipment, anything less is a bummer.
    Ya but at least the Kia is realizable and inexpensive to fix.

Yes I've downgraded a few times over the years. Went from a 5k plus indyfab custom ti 29er built up with nice parts. Rode and raced that for years then sold it and bought a new Kona unit SS 29er rigid for 475.00 (my shop cost) didn't upgrade a dAmn thing and was just as happy or more so than on the Indy fab as I felt for 475.00 the bike was a way bigger smile per dollar value and I preferred the stock geo of the unit over my Indy. Plus steel was a bit stiffer than my high end ti frame. Another bonus.

It ain't about the bike.

Professional Crastinator
    OK, so I'm only here because I am bored for the moment.

I was never on any sort of quest for the next best thing. Heck, my main ride is now 5 yrs. old and has no suspension. Even so, it has really good wheels and brakes, a (allegedly) really good frame, and XT level drivetrain, with lower end cockpit. Durable as I could hope without being overly heavy.

THEN I bought a fatbike. I had anticipated that the fatbike so-called craze was just some over-hyped articles, so I went sorta cheap with the thought of unloading it within a year. Still got a Bluto, but low-end hydraulics, X5, heavy wheels, questionable hubs, bargain basement cockpit. To say it's a downgrade from my 29er is being polite.

I was pleasantly surprised all around. Performance has been good... better than expected, and I might even say excellent. With the knowledge and foresight that it was a lower-end bike, I was pretty proactive in maintaining it in as good of working order as I could, but that also encouraged me to abuse it like a rented mule that swims. I haven't had a bad day on it yet, even when I crashed and cracked a rib (the rest of that day was good enough to make up for it).

So, a "downgrade" might hold some advantages in spite of possibly some extra maintenance - less fear of theft, lower cost of entry, lower cost of repair/replacement (lower fear of expensive repair), less-finicky components...
    If reliability becomes an issue, it's not even worth leaving the store with it, but if you hit on the right bike, the "downgrade" can downgrade your stress level.

-F

PS - and yes, I have demo'd a few bikes - light bikes... expensive bikes - they are nice, but I could never justify them after enjoying my cheap foray into fatbiking so much. The ROI just isn't there.
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
    Yes, a long time ago, and still happy.

I was very much into "the latest and greatest" from the early 90's until about 2008, when I built up a rigid single speed out of old parts to commute to work, and found that bike was the most fun of all the bikes in my stable. I eventually sold all the other bikes, and never looked back.

I built up the bike I'm riding now for about $500.00, and it's the best bike I've ever owned. 26er with rigid frame and fork, 8 speed, v-brakes. It's the only bike I've ridden for years, and I have no plans to "upgrade".

I think I'm going to have to try a single speed simple bike. You are the nth person to rave about how cool it is, but I never understood why. Perhaps I will get once I try it.

mtbr member
    I dunno why. maybe its the being a kid again thing.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

mtbr member
    I don't know if this counts but you can 'downgrade' your tire size and make it+ in your same standard fork. How did it go for the people that have done it?

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...ires-from-wtb/

Over the past few years many riders have purchased 27.5 bikes, only to have plus-envy once 27.5+ bikes started catching on. Some intrepid 29er owners (including yours truly) found they could convert their bikes to 27.5+ using WTB Scraper rims and Trailblazer tires. In fact, the Scraper/Trailblazer combo was designed with this purpose in mind.

Now, WTB is offering a similar conversion solution for standard 27.5″ owners who are looking to go wide. The new Scraper 26+ rims are 40mm wide, 5mm narrower than the original 27.5+ Scraper rims, which should provide the optimal tire profile while maintaining compatibility with the widest range of 27.5 frames and forks. I’m running the older, 45mm Scraper 27.5+ rims on my 29er, and I’ve definitely found myself wishing the rims were narrower for an improved tire profile. So, this seems like a great move. In fact, WTB now offers two versions of the Scraper 27.5+ rims: i45 (45mm internal width) and i40 (40mm internal width). The new 26+ Scrapers are only offered in i40 at the moment.

On the tire side, WTB now has 26″ Ranger tires in stock, in both 2.8″ and 3.0″ widths. The 2.8″ width is a good bet for 27.5 conversions while the 3.0″ tire is probably better suited to dedicated 26+ bikes like the Jamis Dragonfly or Jamis Eden. WTB makes two other plus tires–the Trailblazer and Trail Boss–but these are not currently offered in in the 26″ diameter.

In related tire news, WTB is also offering Ranger plus tires with tougher casings for more aggressive riding. Early plus tires focused on keeping rotational weight low since the tires were bigger overall. But many riders found the light casings didn’t offer enough stability or puncture protection. Ranger tires are offered with either TCS Tough or TCS Light casing, depending on the rider’s intended usage and preference.

With so many options and even the ability to run modern plus tires on older bikes, it’s a great time to be a consumer!

COMMENTS: this is going to only work on the front, not the back if you have a 135mm XC rear axle. Another issue for people on a budget is that the +wheels are usually at least $400 and again, you almost certainly can't put them in the back of an XC bike, especially if you have a front derailleur (tire will rub). Purchasing only the front +wheel is almost as expensive as the wheelset. Add the $75 or so +tire and you are probably over $500. You could buy a brand-new 27.5+ hardtail bike for $1100 so I dunno how realistic buying $400+ wheels are to do this. You'd really have to love your current 27.5" bike to do this (or your 29" to do the 27.5+ tire and wheel). Or...

If you can keep it to 2.8 for the +tire you can try putting them on a standard 26" rim (only 19-21mm internal width). Or standard 29" wheel with 27.5+ tire. For 26+ on a standard rim, that's a 3.4x to 3.7x tire to rim ratio, kinda scary but it's doable. So the "downgrade" is only $60-90 for the tire and a standard 26" rim that you can probably get for $80 or so (I already have two). I'm going to try it. What do you gain and lose, since this is a downgrade thread?

A. If you started with a standard 27.5 x 2.1 tire, that is 27.5 inches high, you'd have on paper the same height of 26+ tire as a standard 27.5" tire (26 x 2.8 is theoretically 27.8 inches high). Nice! And you have 0.7 inches more width. That is not a downgrade!

B. If you started with a 27.5 x 2.5 tire, that's 28.4 inches high, then you lose 0.6 inches of height with the 26 x 2.8 tire but still gain 0.3 inches width. I think this is a trade off that's worth it. 27.8 inches high still rolls over stuff pretty good, and 2.8 inches wide should be noticeable for traction compared to 2.5. Cross your fingers that the 3.4x to 3.7x tire to rim doesn't have problems on faster corners...
    Hypercritical is good. Hypocritical is bad. Nice people can still be bad people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    OK, so I'm only here because I am bored for the moment.

I was never on any sort of quest for the next best thing. Heck, my main ride is now 5 yrs. old and has no suspension. Even so, it has really good wheels and brakes, a (allegedly) really good frame, and XT level drivetrain, with lower end cockpit. Durable as I could hope without being overly heavy.

THEN I bought a fatbike. I had anticipated that the fatbike so-called craze was just some over-hyped articles, so I went sorta cheap with the thought of unloading it within a year. Still got a Bluto, but low-end hydraulics, X5, heavy wheels, questionable hubs, bargain basement cockpit. To say it's a downgrade from my 29er is being polite.

I was pleasantly surprised all around. Performance has been good... better than expected, and I might even say excellent. With the knowledge and foresight that it was a lower-end bike, I was pretty proactive in maintaining it in as good of working order as I could, but that also encouraged me to abuse it like a rented mule that swims. I haven't had a bad day on it yet, even when I crashed and cracked a rib (the rest of that day was good enough to make up for it).

So, a "downgrade" might hold some advantages in spite of possibly some extra maintenance - less fear of theft, lower cost of entry, lower cost of repair/replacement (lower fear of expensive repair), less-finicky components...
    If reliability becomes an issue, it's not even worth leaving the store with it, but if you hit on the right bike, the "downgrade" can downgrade your stress level.

-F

PS - and yes, I have demo'd a few bikes - light bikes... expensive bikes - they are nice, but I could never justify them after enjoying my cheap foray into fatbiking so much. The ROI just isn't there.

How much was the fatbike, $1000?

I've noticed a $35-50 wider tire up front does more for performance than anything else. I dunno why there are so many elitists on here that say everything under $1500 is crap that doesn't deserve to be called a mountain bike. For $1000 you can buy a bike with technology the pros were using 20 years ago. So the pros were riding crap 20 years ago, is that the definition? I watched a video of a professional downhill racer compare his current racing bike with the one he started with 15 years ago. He went down about a 4 minute course with both bikes to compare times. The time difference? 4 seconds. The 15 year-old bike with 15 year-old technology had essentially the same time as the new bike with current (and astronomically expensive) technology. That's a pretty powerful argument against everyone 'needing' to buy an expensive new bike
    Hypercritical is good. Hypocritical is bad. Nice people can still be bad people.

mtbr member
    ^^^

You bring up a good point. Go watch Road Bike Party on Youtube and it's easy to realize that individual talent is much more important than your frame/components/tires.

I've had people pass me on the trail on their ten year old hardtail and I actually love it when that happens because it's help me remember that it's not the bike, it's the rider.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    I think I'm going to have to try a single speed simple bike. You are the nth person to rave about how cool it is, but I never understood why. Perhaps I will get once I try it.
    I'm running an internally geared rear hub with 8 speeds now. The single speed was great for getting around town and doing short/flat rides, but for longer rides in actual mountains, gears make it a lot more enjoyable for me. Might also have something to do with my age and weight.

Pro Crastinator
    i currently enjoy riding my BMX more than my MTB's, but my MTB's are thousands of dollars more. does that count?

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    How much was the fatbike, $1000?
    W/O the Bluto fork it woulda been $999.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I can't really say that I have ever downgraded a whole bike, as I never get around to actually selling any of them. They're like my kids, I'm far too attached to them!

I have downgraded parts of a bike and been happy, though. I recently went from Campagnolo Centaur Carbon cranks to Centaur Alloy cranks on my CX bike and couldn't be happier.

The Carbon jobs were 170mm and I felt like I just couldn't get any power through them. The new ones are 172.5 (standard) and, OK, it is only a 5 mm difference but it FEELS soooo much better.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorp View Post
    Pretty much this, though I would say that good hydraulic brakes are a distant third for me in terms of level of importance. It's not all that expensive to get a decent set, though, and once you go beyond a basic level of decent it's mostly just bling.

mtbr member
    There was a guy in a different forum that went from a normal, sub $1000 XC bike to an 'aggressive' trail bike, I think he went from a 100mm fork to 140mm. Of course the new trail bike is more expensive, and now he's complaining that the new bike is twitchy and unstable. I've heard that's common when you jump fork sizes over 20mm on the same bike, so I guess he's feeling the 40mm jump on a different bike (aside from any different geometry). Someone else also told me to be careful upgrading forks too much on the same bike because they have problems now after they themselves did the upgrade, they supposedly get more sloppy/twitchy, and a big jump can crack the frame of a bike that was not designed to handle a big fork (and a big jump). So while I'm still a neophyte to upgrades, it seems like upgrading the fork a lot is the most risky plan, and I'm sure there are many people that went back to the normal fork after this happened to them. Drivetrain upgrades to me don't make a lot of sense either, unless maybe your bike is old but still has a lot of other great tech on it. The two upgrades I've noticed that by far make the most bang for the buck are the widest possible tires on front and back, and hydraulic brakes, ANY hydraulic brakes. I still remember the bad old days with mechanical disks and rim brakes, yuck...

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    More like going from a new Corvette to a vintage Porsch imho. Apples and oranges. One has a soul and a feel that will never be recreated, the other is just the latest piece of technology that does all the work for you. Is the Corvette faster? Usually. More fun? Not likely.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
    More like going from a new Corvette to a vintage Porsch imho. Apples and oranges. One has a soul and a feel that will never be recreated, the other is just the latest piece of technology that does all the work for you. Is the Corvette faster? Usually. More fun? Not likely.
    CJ you cant be more wrong with this. I recently took out my 2001 100mm DualSus race bike, smooth/healthy SID fork, XTR 8speed. A nice bike from those days. Compared to my '15 140mm Trail bike it is slow and cumbersome. The trails have changed, they are faster/smoother with more berm and jumps than what I raced on 15yrs ago. The changing trail highlights the changing geometry. The 'new' bike smooth's any root or landing of course, but it also will make the turns faster and more fun. I say "it will" but I have to drive it and that is not a dumbed down thing. Takes skill and gives joy.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

Rides all the bikes!
    Guess it depends on what you consider a "downgrade". I have my $5000 XC HT (not including upgrades), and I picked up a $3000 enduro. Obviously, the components on a high end hard tail are going to be way better than what is on a long travel bike for about half the price. Is the enduro heavy? Yes. Are the wheels junk? (I broke the rear wheel in weeks I think. Is it a downgrade? It isn't a low spec XC HT, it is a totally different bike.

I don't plan to have high end bikes much, once I am done with this HT I will probably replace it with something lower end and take my racing less seriously.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    CJ you cant be more wrong with this.
    Clearly, you're missing the point.

Danger Zone
    I've "downgraded" my bike twice in a row now. My definition of downgrade would be a higher MSRP to lower MSRP. Went from a 2014 Rocky Mountain Instinct (carbon frame, middle-to-high end components) to a 2017 Specialized Enduro. Wasn't happy with this downgrade. The Enduro was probably the "better" bike with more modern components and geometry, but it felt like driving a tank.

I then "downgraded" again to the base model 2018 YT Jeffsy. This one has me over the moon. Definitely the most fun bike I've ever ridden. Thought I was going to have to spend $$$$ to find a great bike so I demoed a bunch of Santa Cruz and Trek bikes but decided to go with the Jeffsy instead. Couldn't be happier with the decision to "downgrade".

So I'd say a downgrade doesn't have to be a bad thing if it means you find something that represents a good bang for your buck and better fits your riding style.