mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Is it hard to get a "Deal" on a pre-order bike?

I am thinking of ordering an early release 2014 bike. I think it possible the bike could sell out. Do you think it is possible to still get a good deal (money off the MSRP), because they dealer knows they have the sale and don't have to keep it in inventory? Or because the bike is in such demand, the dealer has no incentive to give a break on the price?

Any personal experience negotiating this kind of pre-order?

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Not likely gonna happen, unless you have a super-close relationship with that LBS(ie: buy TONS of stuff). Mountain Bikes are such hot sellers, there is huge demand for them. At best - try negotiating a "cash price" with them, if doing so....they HATE paying merchant fees on CC purchases.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Elitest thrill junkie
    Depends on how much competition there is...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I got a deal on a pre-ordered Giant Tempt. I do however have a pretty friendly relationship with the owner of the LBS I frequent. But still, it just proves that deals are to be had on EVERYTHING. The thing is, SOMEONE will give you the deal. The question is just who's it gonna be. Shop around and ask.

I didn't do it
    My understanding of economics says that if the demand is high then the price will rise. If the bike is going to sell out then I don't see the incentive to cut you a deal if there's somebody else willing to pay full price. Can't hurt to ask though.

Plays with tools
    How much do you value your LBS? Paying retail on a brand new model at your local shop would be more worthwhile than driving a town or two away to save a couple hundred bucks. Everybody loves a deal but sometimes it's just not worth it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    All are valid points I have considered. I also think it is great to support a local LBS and I have a shop in the area that I really like. The bike I intend to order is a Specialized and I don't know any Specialized dealers, although there are at least 10 in the Denver area. I guess my new Specialized LBS will be the one that is the easiest to work with, and maybe the one most willing to deal a little on the special order.

No doubt that supply and demand help determine pricing and obviously if a dealer brought in 5 bikes of a particular model and couldn't order any more, they would not discount the price. But, if they the dealer has an opportunity to order a bike they would not normally carry in inventory, and make several hundred dollars profit, I would think they might cut a deal to make that happen. Otherwise some other dealer will get the sale, whether from me or another patron.

Anyone else with direct experience as either the dealer or the customer?