mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Hangarbolt and rear derailleur not holding

Does anyone know of any way for me to get my rear derailleur to hold on to my hangerbolt? For some reason when i try to tighten my rear derailleur to the hangerbolt, it still moves around and rotates....essentially it keeps messing up the tension of everything.

I heard there are these colored washers that work but idk what they are specifically called. Someone told me to get blue because the red one was permanent or something.

mtbr member
    Aloha Brandon,

I'm not sure if you're talking about the derailleur or the hanger. The derailleur should rotate after it is tightened down. If you're talking about the bolt that holds the hanger to the frame, then it might help if you take a picture of the section that you're speaking of. Many frames use a "chainring bolt" to hold the hanger in place. If this is so, you can use a chainring wrench or large screwdriver to hold the nut (back side) while you tighten the bolt itself.

Again, I'm just trying to picture and assume what you are speaking off.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    You're thinking of loctite, blue is what you would want if fasteners are coming loose, but gmats is right on--the body of the der should be able to rotate. If the spring that puts tension on the jockey cage is weak, you may be able to increase tension, but the XT ders I've done it on weren't easy...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ill upload a picture later, but what im trying to say is that the arm of the rear derailleur (the part you screw to the rear area of the bike *i think it's the hanger idk*) that arm keeps moving and its not suppose to. This part is suppose to be what holds the derailleur in place.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The hanger can be part of the frame or it can be bolted on (replaceable) .I f the hanger is moving are the bolts tight?

mtbr member
    Only thing not supposed to move is the hanger mounted in the bike frame. If its a Shimano rear derailleur with that extra arm that goes to the frame blue loctite and making sure ur installing it in the correct location.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!