mtbr member

handlebar grips?

okay i think this is the right forum. i just got a new flat bar for my commute bike and was wondering what the best kind of grips for all terrain use. i have ergonomic hand grips right now and i don't really like them. don't know if its cause they are old but i keep slipping off them and they keep spinning around my handlebar as i'm riding. there are a lot of different kinds and i don't know what ones are good or just say they are good for advertisement.
    life happens

TiRider
    I am using ESI Silicone grips, no slippy hands during wet or sweat. Excellent product.
    Cynicism is a perquisite to satire. Satire without cynicism is like a metaphor without...whatever.

Visit US Cycling Report

mtbr member
    do they fit a 25.4mm handlebar? they seem cool, do you get like a sticky residue on your hands or gloves from them?
    life happens

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Go to the bike show and put your hands on as many different bicycle grips as possible. Then buy your favorite ones.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I had some ergo grips on my other bike, they used to make my hands fall asleep

mtbr member
    i would go to a bike show if i could ever catch one in my area, i have a hard time convincing my wife that driving 4 hrs to atlanta ga just so i can go to a bike show is worth the trip lol.

bigbbs, i have the same issue. i have to ride hands free as much as possible to bring my hands back to life. it sucks. what did you get instead?
    life happens

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I got oury lock on grips same as I used to use on my dirt bike they're a lot more comfortable than the ergo grips on my other bike, I think their a gimmick. When your riding don't grip the bars tight unless you have to. Carpal tunnel kinda sucks huh?

mtbr member
    for true for true. lol. i think im going to get the esi grips. hear good things about them
    life happens

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by heath.1983
    do they fit a 25.4mm handlebar? they seem cool, do you get like a sticky residue on your hands or gloves from them?

MTB handlebars all have the same diameter where the grip is. The two different diameters you see are where the bar is clamped to the stem.

I've been using the ESI Chunkies for years and love them. Still haven't worn out a pair of them yet. No sticky residue. I think you'll be happy.

ummmm.. what!?
    I don't know what madel they are but I have easterns. I believe they came stock on the nitghtrain.. either way they are a bit chunky and feel wide compared to others but I love them. All a matter of personal preferance. Lock ons are nice, you don't have to worry about them spinning.... but a quick shot of hairspray will do the same.
    Its a JEEP thing. I drive one and still don't understand..

banned

Esi

Another vote for ESI. Light and dont slip. Excellent bang for buck.

dirtbag
    Quote Originally Posted by heath.1983
    i would go to a bike show if i could ever catch one in my area, i have a hard time convincing my wife that driving 4 hrs to atlanta ga just so i can go to a bike show is worth the trip lol.

bigbbs, i have the same issue. i have to ride hands free as much as possible to bring my hands back to life. it sucks. what did you get instead?

You don't have to travel that far to try grips. Just head to the local bike shop.

As far as a recommendation, I've been using ODI lock-on grips. Rogues I think they're called. Easy install, makes changing out components simple and grips no longer slide around like traditional grips.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    alright than. so with much reading around on the internet and after reading every ones opinions, thank you by the way. i think i finally came to a conclusion that i'm going to try the ESI's, they are not that much money so if i don't like them than i didn't waist to much money. as long as they take away some of the vibration and don't move around on me than i'm golden. again thank you all. i do have one more question though. would getting a carbon fiber handlebar really make that much of a difference as far as vibration?
    life happens