mtbr member
    Sep 2013

hammerhead 100x or Iron horse MKIII

I'm looking for a decent xc-bike that I can take to the mountains and to the trails. currently the sensor is $400 and the iron horse is $600 but I have no idea which one is better.
    Last edited by bpkred; 06-05-2014 at 02:54 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Gt is still in business, parts available. Not so for ih. If you buy the mk, you are just buying the parts kit. Assume you'll be replacing the frame.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    The IH is by far the superior machine but as mentioned they are no longer. The frame is fine so no worries there either. Mine has been a solid ride since 2010 and with a few upgrades along the way even better now.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by bpkred View Post
    I'm looking for a decent xc-bike that I can take to the mountains and to the trails. currently the sensor is $400 and the iron horse is $600 but I have no idea which one is better.
    Not sure what year bikes you're talking about, but the IH MkIII is a really good ride IF the frame doesn't break. I have a 2008. It is not broken. However, on the IH forum, there seems to be an unusually high frequency of broken frames. Getting the longest life out of a IH rear triangle usually means installing a bolt-on rear wheel to minimize frame flexing. For $600 you should be getting a decent fork, shock, drivetrain, and mid-level cockpit. Brakes might be questionable, but that's just me. Wheels and hubs were the low point on mine.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    ^^ fleas is correct the rear tri has been duely noted for breaking amongst owners and i just hold my breath sometimes when decending with decent pace.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    both bikes have been maintained and are completely stock. I think the Iron Horse is a 2007 frame but I don't know the other one. however I can also get a 2002 hammerhead 100x that is fully decked out for $600. honesty I don't know if i'm gonna need all the travel on the Iron Horse but it is a hell of a bike for $600. so I guess its between the hammerhead and the MKIII.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by bpkred View Post
    both bikes have been maintained and are completely stock. I think the Iron Horse is a 2007 frame but I don't know the other one. however I can also get a 2002 hammerhead 100x that is fully decked out for $600. honesty I don't know if i'm gonna need all the travel on the Iron Horse but it is a hell of a bike for $600. so I guess its between the hammerhead and the MKIII.
    My 5" MKIII made me ride "stupider". 5" of travel forgives a lot of dumb things.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.