Thread: GU gel...

mtbr member

GU gel...

So does the ones with caffeine make a difference or not? I mean a 24 pack of the ones with caffeine are like double the price of the ones without caffeine...

mtbr member
    For me not really, mainly because I drink a lot of coffee as it is so the impact of caf in my gel doesnt seem to matter. For those who have less normal caf intake may feel the boost from it. I will down either as the other ingredients are much more important. For twice the price I would choose sans caf. Gu is good stuff either way and I have realized the quick benefits many times whether on races or longer rides when I start to feel the bonk coming on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'll do a caffeine Gu on a "regular" ride once in awhile, but not while racing. I took a shot before Sea Otter last year and I started to get chest pains - and I'm a heavy coffee drinker.

I think between the adrenaline and just pushing the limits of myself, the caffeine was a bit much.

Just got done paying for the ER and those tests and such from the doctor. Again, I drink coffee regularly in the morning and afternoon.

the half breed devil
    i think they do on longer rides. for me, a longer ride is 25-35 miles.

i like a mild caffeine boost. i'll sip a third of a bottle of five hour energy (NEVER the whole thing) ten miles in and pop a chocolate outrage GU to help me through the last ten miles. sometimes i don't use GU at all on long rides.

however, that's just my personal experience/opinion.

BTW, my LBS sells caffeinated GU for the same price as any other GU.

I Ride Bikes
    The caffeine ones really don't affect me, but I still take them, because I think it has a mental effect on me. I just tell myself that the caffeine is working so I must have more energy than before. lol.

I like the GU Chomps because it's less messy and it feels like I'm actually eating something, instead of sucking on some sticky gooey gel.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

Ride More, Whine Less
    I'm a sucker for PowerBar Energy Gel Tangerine with 2x caffeine.

PowerBar Energy Gel Tangerine

These are a great pickup on rides over 30 miles.