Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

grip recommendation

I am looking for new grips for my bikes and need some input. My hands start to go numb on my rides but other than that, I like the riding position. I do wear gloves with padded palms.

I have stock grips on both of my Treks and would like to set them up the same. My riding usually consists of riding approximately 3 road miles to the trail which is about 6 miles and then 3 miles back home.

I have been thinking about the Ergo? type ( the ones that have the part that stick out and oblong the grips). I have rather big hands so gripping a bigger grip holding on thru the woods wouldn't bother me at all.

What are my options?

Front Range, Colorado
    Just get a grip man..
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Ergon grips work well. You said that you have big hands...a thicker than oem grip may help as well.

Fishing/ Biking
    ESI, chunky or extra chunky.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk
    Live to Fish, now Love to Ride

mtbr member

grip recommendation

I would get numb pinky and ring fingers-also have neck issues-but j switched to ergon grips and it has made it better. Especially for longer rides.

Prime
    Try some ODI Rogue grips. Not particularly soft but they are a larger diameter for larger hands. You running a flat bar or riser? If you're on a flat you may want to switch to a lo rise, you can take advantage of the up AND back sweep, get the grips right where they sit under your palm evenly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Prime
    Grips are like shoes, you don't need cushy to be comfortable, you need good fit.

If your hands are going numb, there is something else going on. You need to fix that first, then get whatever kind of grips your hands like. Simply adding a squish grip is a bandaid. It could even be caused by something seemingly unrelated like stem too low or reach too long, too narrow or wide bars. Lots of possible remedies besides just soft grips.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I went to ESI Extra Chunkys and my occasional hand numbness went away completely...they are light, cheap, dampen vibration, and very comfortable. Chunkys were okay, but the Extra Chunky is great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I use ergon grips with stubby bar ends, the combo got rid of the tingly fingers I used to get.
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeafatkid
    "MOMMY, I WANT TO RIDE LIKE THAT FAT KID!" true story.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Renthal Kevlar . If you don't get them you will wish you had.

mtbr member
    Even though you like the position you're in on the bike, it may not be the best one. Numb hands usually are a result of added pressure to your wrists in a bent position. Ergon grips will help flatten your wrists to alleviate that pressure on your nerves. When riding, your elbows should be slightly bent and your wrists should remain relatively straight with your forearms. Before going with a band-aid fix like a ergo grip, you should check your seat angle. Is the nose of it pointing down? When it is, its pushing the the weight of your upper body onto your hands and wrists which would cause fatigue and numbing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    What is your lever position like?

mtbr member
    I use ESI Chunky.

I have tried the ergo grips. If you do, make sure you get ones that clamp on. If you don't they will turn on you.

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Does anyone have a completely set up model for riding position? I thought I had my bikes set up properly but maybe not.

Has anyone tried http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41zfihi371L.jpg? I don't want to spend a ton of money if these types of grips aren't gonna work.

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzwardo View Post
    Does anyone have a completely set up model for riding position? I thought I had my bikes set up properly but maybe not.

Has anyone tried http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41zfihi371L.jpg? I don't want to spend a ton of money if these types of grips aren't gonna work.
    I think I have something buried in my computer at home, I'll check later. With proper fit, you should be able to ride with virtually no padding anywhere, especially on shorter rides. If you start getting in some longer rides, then you may want some cushy things for comfort.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    +1 on the ODI Rogue, but I think something else is going
    on and it isn't the grips.

Prime
    Fuzz, check out this site. It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it will definitely get you thinking about how everything in bike fitting comes together. Then, take a ride and instead of enjoying the ride concentrate instead on how everything "feels". Keep your multi tool handy and make trail side changes.

Bike Fit Calculator | Find Your Bike Size | Competitive Cyclist

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Oury
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member

grip recommendation

+2 on odi rogue. And the lock on oury's. Both are larger in diameter and are great quality and comfortable for large hands.
    I don't always listen to slayer, but when I do so do the neighbors.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    For a round grip I always used the odi Rogues and really liked them, but now have tried the ESI foam grips and prefer them.

However I tried the Evo Comfort Gel SL2 Grips and absolutely love them. They have more cushioning than the Ergons, with a thicker round area. I hated the ergons and love these. They are really nice for grabbing the ends of the bars when climbing. They are also extremely inexpensive, but have proven durable and have a good quality inboard clamp and clamp inside the end of the bar. Highly recommended.
    Amazon.com : Evo Comfort Gel SL2 Grips, 1 Pair, with Integrated Clamp : Bike Grips And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    I would grab the bike and do a ride around the block a sec and see what angles your wrists are at when you ride. I fixed my hand and wrist problems by changing the angles of my brakes and moving them inboard for one finger braking. I had them facing too "straight ahead" and was doing too much work to come off the grip and actuate the brakes.

Posted via mobile

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    i like them!!!

mtbr member

grip recommendation

You should try out ESI extra chunky. I love those grips!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    On my ride today I really tried to pay attention to my form and stuff. My brake levers are at an angle rhat ispretty much straight with the angle of my arms. Need to check out my seat angle too. I xhould have someone snap a couple of pica while I ride to see what my form looks like.
    2014 Trek Fuel ex 7
    2013 Trek Superfly Al
    1997 Jamis Dakota Al
    1941 Schwinn Dx klunker wanna be

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast