Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    If that's the case, either check out the ergon or odi stuff...one of em is gonna be right. You said that your wrists are in a proper line....feel like your weighing them down or pushing by chance?

Edit: point being you should feel neutral. No weight really on your hands in you default position. Feel for it. Is it like that?

Prime
    Fuzz, what you're looking for could be very subtle, could seem insignificant, could be just one little tweak and then you're good to go. My biggest gain in comfort was made when I moved my bars up to pretty much even with my saddle, just went from a -6 deg stem to a 0 deg. Neck problems went away, sore wrists went away, sore lower back went away.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Also try rotating the bars to find a more comfortable angle.

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilsner1 View Post
    Also try rotating the bars to find a more comfortable angle.
    Exactly why I like a riser bar, much more adjustable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    After taking a look at my bars, they are only at most 2 inches below my seat height. Would you recommend a different stem or a taller set of handlebars?

I did end up ordering a set of the Ergon Gs1 so I give them a go and then decide if further action is needed.

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question but where should the seat be set at? Should the nose be angled slightly up, neutral or slightly down?

Thanks for all you help guys, I appreciate it.
    2014 Trek Fuel ex 7
    2013 Trek Superfly Al
    1997 Jamis Dakota Al
    1941 Schwinn Dx klunker wanna be

mtbr member
    There really is no answer to that question that's possible to give online. Maybe a reputable bike shop can give you a proper fitting and determine if you'd benefit from raising your position.

Posted via mobile

mtbr member
    Your stem, handlebar and overall cockpit could be adjusted to your fitting, but you can't move your seat tube, so having the seat height at a good position is the starting point in dialing in the rest of your cockpit.

This video shows you a good starting point.

Prime
    Fuzz, research K.O.P.S, knee over pedal. Although is by no means "the rule", it should give you a good idea of seat position. Also, get on the Sheldon Brown website, tons of useful information on there. Once your saddle position is right, and right only means right for you, then you get to work on the rest of the stuff. We could very well be talking about only millimeters here and there, but it all matters when it comes to riding comfort and enjoyment.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Make sure you have a tool in your pocket to make adjustments on the trail until you get it right......digging in a pack or saddle bag seems like a lot of effort and you're less likely to make the minor adjustments that are what really dial in your setup.

mtbr member
    Clyde here love odi rogues as well but...

Found my biggest issue, same as urs was raising my seat post 10mm higher. All pain in back and hands/wrists went away. I figured work and one wrist has been through 2 surgeries. Was sheer dumb luck as I was playing with seat height. Raised seat to highest point I had tried to now, and found a sweet spot. Very comfortable ride now. And put it to the test of all day trip of hitting 3 local trail sets.

Bike fit matters more than anything else. Either play with things a bit till u find best places for everything or go have a professional fit done. So many ppl here have their way which they say is best, but actually its only best for them. U need to find the bike fit that fits u. The rules are starting point only. Gets u close then you tweak to ur personal preferences.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

Prime
    There you have it Fuzz, the "tweak your fit" people out weigh the "need cushy grips" people.

When you do get your cushies, and oh they will certainly be nice, don't skip out on tweaking you cockpit. Proper adjustment AND squishy grips ought to have you feeling like a king.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    So far I have tilted the nose of my seat up slightly and put on the Gs1 grips. I did a 8 mile route this morning and still am feeling some numbness. Being new to the Gs1 grips, I am not exactly sure I have set them on right. I will have to tweak them some more when I have time.

If this doesn't fix the problem, is the next step is to get a different stem?
    2014 Trek Fuel ex 7
    2013 Trek Superfly Al
    1997 Jamis Dakota Al

mtbr member
    Maybe a photo of you in your riding position would help.

mtbr member
    The ergonomic grips do have a sweet spot, meaning you have to find the right angle for your riding position for them to really make a difference.

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    Maybe a photo of you in your riding position would help.
    See if you can get somebody to video you riding by.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    +1 on ergonomics as many have said. That could easily not be a grip issue, but rather a nerve, angle issue etc. Make sure you're setup at the right angles for you.

That said, I broke both thumbs in Iraq. Neither like odd angles. I found great relief switching to Ergon Grips. They're goal is exactly what you're after, healthy, effective, control. Personally I have the gp1's but plan on going to the the 2's with the bar end's next. Can't recommend them enough!

ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Gonna have my girlfriend video me with the go pro tomorrow morning. I guess i ll see how dumb i look when i ride. Lol
    2014 Trek Fuel ex 7
    2013 Trek Superfly Al
    1997 Jamis Dakota Al

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzwardo View Post
    Gonna have my girlfriend video me with the go pro tomorrow morning. I guess i ll see how dumb i look when i ride. Lol
    Shyt Fuzz, I look like a darn hunchback when I ride, but I'm comfortable.

Keep on Rockin...
    Follow these steps...

Install Oury grips

Add a spacer or two under stem

Tilt nose of saddle up a few degrees

Done

(If you want to get really fancy, get a set back post, and drop your saddle height a bit.)

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I get the same in my hands from down hill Fuzz. I guess the angle and extra braking is causing it. I'm on a new bike now so still have the original grips. But on my previous bike I got some thicker ones and that helped a lot. I need to try them on my new bike..

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I am pretty much an idiot when it comes to computers and such, so how do I post a short video? I have an example of my posture when I ride.
    2014 Trek Fuel ex 7
    2013 Trek Superfly Al
    1997 Jamis Dakota Al

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzwardo View Post
    I am pretty much an idiot when it comes to computers and such, so how do I post a short video? I have an example of my posture when I ride.
    Copy the youtube url.
    Click Go Advanced button.
    Click the film icon
    Paste the url
    Click ok

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    grip recommendation-temp-200-82659443.jpg Well thanks to my girlfriend, well she did it, hopefully this works.

See anything wrong? I am willing to work on just about anything, except getting better looking, I think that is too long of a road to travel. lol
    2014 Trek Fuel ex 7
    2013 Trek Superfly Al
    1997 Jamis Dakota Al

Prime
    You look to be a bit of a bigger fella, Fuzz. Over 6'? Maybe 6'1", 6'2"?

Almost looks like your bars may too narrow, or the right width for you but wrong angle. The wider your bars go, the greater the angle of the sweep, all other things being equal. I'm 6'0", if I go much under a 620mm bar, I need a 3 deg sweep in a flat bar. To get nice and comfy, I ride a 750mm 9 deg back and 5 deg up lo rise. With those specs and with the bar rotated correctly, when I ride if I pay real close attention I can feel my palms resting evenly across their width on the grip.

Then again, I may be completely full of shyt.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yeppers, I am 6'1" and about 255lbs. The bars are what ever the stock width on the Treks are, they say 690mm on the bar and I have never cut them down. According to the Trek website, they are a 5mm rise and a 9mm sweep.

I am wondering if I should get a handlebar like on my Fuel, it's supposed to have 15mm rise. I don't have as much of a problem with the hands riding that as i do with the Superfly. But I do rise a little more street miles with the Superfly than the Fuel.

Optimus, Thanks, I really do appreciate the help.
    2014 Trek Fuel ex 7
    2013 Trek Superfly Al
    1997 Jamis Dakota Al

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast