mtbr member

Green grease or white grease?

I have a 10 year old tube of white, Finish Line teflon grease that I use whenever I'm working on my bikes.

Last night, when upgrading my rear Hope Pro2 EVO hub to 142x12, I accidentally pulled off the whole freehub body. OOPS! Pretty cool, though, as it's the first time I've ever seen the inside of a hub. Other than all the cool parts, one thing I noticed is that Hope used a green, translucent grease inside the hub and not the same white stuff I use.

Are there different lubes for different parts or does it not matter?
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I use the same for all but where I live it is pretty warm. Not too much otherwise it gets to sticky and the hub starts binding,

I have been told that using to thick of a grease in cold temps effects the hub in a negative way.
    honda seatcovers
    winter warm and summer cool
    little lambs no more

mtbr member
    Each mfg will spec their own lubes, and some might actually be 1/5th of a percent better than a good grease, but for all intents and purposes, I have thrown Phil Wood grease at everything but the chain for 30 years with no ill effects. All you need is a high quality water repelling grease for all your pivots, slides, bearings, sleeves and pawls.

If you're using a water repelling grease on the pawls, you need to be thin with it, period. Pack too much and the pawls will float. This is worsened by cold weather. While I don't deal with Alaskan winters or anything, I find PW grease is fine on the pawls down to 16F, the coldest I've ever ridden. A thin surface layer is enough, and is all that is needed to protect and lubricate..

Some racers will tell you a lighter grease will make you faster. I never felt a difference when I experimented with different lubes, but, ok, I can buy that a lower viscosity lube requires less energy to maintain spin. I'm just not sure it matters with the small torque angle of wheel hubs, pedal bushings and bottom brackets.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Thanks. So that green grease is probably Phil Wood? I seem to remember having a tube of that a couple of decades ago...teal blue tube?

Also, the Hope "how to rebuild your Pro2 EVO hub video is pretty good about where to apply grease and how much to apply. I'll probably rebuild (or at least open and clean) the hub this winter and will follow those directions.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I doubt it is Phil Wood. Phil's is not translucent and reacts a lot to temperature. Freehub pawls are the one place I would use the manufacturer's recommended grease. I know DT Swiss makes a big deal out of their hub grease.

mtbr member
    Phil's Tenacious Oil is wonderful freehub lubricant. As is DuMonde's freehub specific oil.
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A (for sale)
    '13 DB Mason 29er/650b+
    '13 SC Juliana 650b'd (wife's)

mtbr member
    I also use Phil's Tenacious Oil, not grease, on freehubs and freewheels, but I'd contact Hope and find out what they recommend since they use grease.

As far as the rest of a bike I use both Finish Line teflon and Phil's Waterproof grease based on odd quirks that I have evolved over the years. Finish Line on hub bearings, Phil's on most everything else with loose bearings and also stuff like bosses, threads, seatposts, etc.

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21

Count me as another who uses Phil's Tenacious Oil on freehubs.

mtbr member
    I think it's ok to use thinner grease in Hope freehubs, you just need to check and replace it more often.

You really don't want to use thick grease as it might stop the pawls fully engaging on the ratchet ring. If a pawl just catches the top edge of a ratchet tooth it might snap it off!

Different designs of freehub need different lubricants. It's important to understand the design of yours and make sure you use the right stuff.

I think a lot of the fancy bike-specific lubes are a lot of bollocks. Bicycle bearings is not a very demanding environment for a lubricant and there are plenty of commonly available lubes that work just fine. How often you change the lube and how good the seals are is usually far more important than which lube you choose.

mtbr member
    So I watched the Hope video on rebuilding their hubs. It's a very good video but the guy uses what looks like some pretty thick grease to me.

If any of you wants to take a look, what are your thoughts? No where have I seen them post their recommended grease.

How To: Service Your Pro 2 Evo Rear on Vimeo

Forward to about the 8 minute mark to see the reassembly and greasing.

mtbr member
    Not to hijack but.... what to use on the fork dust seals? I drop one drop of Phils Tenacious on them when they look dry. It spreads all the way around in a few minutes.

Any other key points that need grease/oil on regular basis?
    The bike doesn't make you go fast.
    You make the bike go fast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by velo99 View Post
    Not to hijack but.... ?
    That is another topic that really deserves its own post.

Anyway Kevin the grease he use looks to have about the same viscosity as the park tool grease that I have used.

Once I packed in too much and the freewheel didn't work all that well.

Basically just enough to fill the teeth.
    honda seatcovers
    little lambs no more

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    ^^Yep. Parks polyurea is pretty thin and works well, never used it under -20F or so though. Slick honey would fit that bill as well, if you have it.

(BTW, thread hijacker, get some slick honey. )

mtbr member
    The "grease" in the Hope freehub is 00 grease (zero zero)

It's more gel than grease. Often called gear lubricant.

This is the best price I've seen.
    Super S Cotton Picker Spindle Grease 00 - Tractor Supply Co.

<100%
    I have used Phil's in my star ratchet hub for years without issue. Put a little more in than you think you need and it quiets them down nicely too. YRMV

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by client_9 View Post
    The "grease" in the Hope freehub is 00 grease (zero zero)

It's more gel than grease. Often called gear lubricant.

This is the best price I've seen.
    Just for the description alone I would like to try it.

Super S Cotton Picker Spindle Grease 00 is a smooth textured, corrosion preventive grease manufactured with a special low viscosity, low pour point base oil with a lithium thickener, as well as rust and oxidation inhibitors. It is recommended for industrial and agricultural applications calling for a low consistency product with low operating temperature properties. Super S NLGI 00 Grease meets or exceeds the John Deere JDN-360 and JDN-380 specific cautions for cotton picker spindle lubricants. It is widely used in gearboxes on bush hog type cutters and some gear cases on riding lawn mowers.
    honda seatcovers
    little lambs no more