Ride Instigator

GREASE to press a HS in Carbon Frame?

I'm going to take my new Blur LTc frame to a local shop tomorrow to have the headset pressed in. I talked to the guy who's going to do it and he says he butters it up with a little Park Polylube 1000 just like you would with an aluminum frame. I also asked him about using carbon paste on the seat post and he says it's not really necessary unless you have a slippage issue and you can just use a little Polylube there too (I'm using a Thomson Elite post).

Anyway, yay or nay with regards to grease on carbon? I'm new to this carbon business and I thought I read that grease on carbon is a no no.

Your thoughts?

mtbr member
    For interference fit (pressed) applications in HS and BB, grease is totally fine. We do it that way in the shop. For carbon seat posts and bars, friction paste should be used.

mtbr member
    From the carbon frames I've seen including my new Yeti ARC-carbon, there is an aluminum insert built into the frame for the headset, so grease is fine. For the seat post don't use anything if you can get away with it, friction paste if you can't. I have a Thompson elite on the Yeti and so far no friction paste has been needed.

Ride Instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
    From the carbon frames I've seen including my new Yeti ARC-carbon, there is an aluminum insert built into the frame for the headset, so grease is fine. For the seat post don't use anything if you can get away with it, friction paste if you can't. I have a Thompson elite on the Yeti and so far no friction paste has been needed.
    My Blur frame doesn't have an alu insert in the head tube, the HS presses directly into the carbon bore. I haven't ridden the bike yet to know if I have any slippage at the seat tube but it fits nice and snug (but not too snug) before you tighten the qr. I put a little carbon paste on there anyway just to be safe.

mtbr member
    I used a little grease when I pressed my headset into my Blur LTc. I've been riding it for almost a year now with no issues. For the seat post, I added a little friction paste and haven't had any slippage issues. The exception was a Specialized Command dropper post. No matter what I did, I couldn't get that thing to hold tight. These days I'm rocking a Reverb and no problems so far.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    From Santa Cruz FAQ:
    >Should I grease the headset cups when I press them into the carbon frame?

>Yes, we recommend this. Do not use the Carbon Assembly Compound on the headset, as it will make it more difficult to remove from the frame.

mtbr member
    Headset or BB30 press in... always no matter the material. I also clean the interfaces with RemOil before greasing them. Spic-and-span... never have had an issue other than with cheaper AL cups in TI frames.

That said, I have never use any kind of paste on seatposts or stems. Torque to the spec provided and check it before every ride.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

mtbr member
    I would use something on your seatpost as it may get stuck ... There are lots of issues with carbon and aluminum bonding together.
    milesW

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishful Tomcat View Post
    From Santa Cruz FAQ:
    >Should I grease the headset cups when I press them into the carbon frame?

>Yes, we recommend this. Do not use the Carbon Assembly Compound on the headset, as it will make it more difficult to remove from the frame.
    Here is your answer.