Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gravity Dropper question...

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Wishful Tomcat 
#1 ·
This question is for anyone who has a Gravity Dropper—especially the bar-mounted, switch-activated model.

Do these things work fast and reliably enough to pop the seat up and down a LOT while riding?

I'm just wondering if those of you who have them generally only raise/lower your seat once or twice during a ride?

Or can you literally drop it for a short rock garden...pop it back up for a level stretch of pedaling...then drop it again 30 seconds later for a steep downhill...then quickly pop it back up at the bottom of the hill for the climb up the other side?

Does it work fast enough to use like that?

Scott

#2 ·
It does, but I don't.

I put the 1" and 3" dropper on one of my bikes about 4 or 5 years ago, and actually found I just liked to keep it in the 1' drop the vast majority of time I'm on trails (that revelation got me to lower the seats on my other trail bikes by about 1/2" - 1"). I only use the 3" drop for really steep techy stuff, and only put it full up if I have a road connector.

So yes, it's capable of switching as often as you like, but you may find you really don't need to switch that often. There is some technique involved in switching it, I'm not super smooth at it because I only have it on one of my bikes and don't constantly switch, but my guess is if you use it a lot you will get pretty smooth at shifting it.

#3 ·
I use mine constantly on local rides around here. Very much up and down, hilly, rolling terrain.

If I lived out west, and a typical ride was 3 hours of climbing fireroads, and then a half hour of fun blasting downhill, I probably wouldn't bother with a dropper post. I would just drop the seat once at the top of the ride.

I think the kind of terrain you are riding dictates whether or not a dropper post will come in handy.

Also, I know of some folks who swear they see no benefit to dropping their post for downhill sections. I think that is kooky talk.

#4 ·
net wurker said:
I use mine constantly on local rides around here. Very much up and down, hilly, rolling terrain.

If I lived out west, and a typical ride was 3 hours of climbing fireroads, and then a half hour of fun blasting downhill, I probably wouldn't bother with a dropper post. I would just drop the seat once at the top of the ride.

I think the kind of terrain you are riding dictates whether or not a dropper post will come in handy.

Also, I know of some folks who swear they see no benefit to dropping their post for downhill sections. I think that is kooky talk.
Do you think we only ride fire roads out west? :D

Ive ridden my bike on a fire road only a handful of times... just sayin

I am also fascinated by these systems, they sound wonderful! I hate droppin my seat before a downhill, because its such a pain to get it back into that just-right placement. So I just leave my seat up all the time.

#5 ·
I'm a bit confused about how the switch-operated version works—when you drop the seat, does it just drop on its own (via gravity)? Or do you have to push it down? (e.g. sit down on it while holding the button).

And when you need it up, you just press the button and it pops right up, right?

Scott

#6 ·
Depends on if it is a mechanical one (AMP, Gravity Dropper) or an air/hydraulic one (Joplin, KS, etc).

On mechanical ones, you push the remote lever and you may have to unweight the seat just a tad to releive pressure on the release pin, and then you just sit on the seat and it goes down.

The hydraulic/air ones, you just hit the switch and your weight pushes the seat down.

On all except the original gravity dropper, you just hit the switch and get off the seat and the seat comes up. On the original GD, you have to bump the seat with your butt as you hit the switch to get it to come up.

#7 · (Edited)
Pyro, I wasn't trying to imply that out west is just all fireroads. I just set up that example of the kind of ride where a dropper seat post wouldn't be a benefit.

Forget I said "out west" :)

EDIT: BTW, before I had a dropper post, I had an etched line (I used an awl) on my seatpost at the high mark, the position on my seatpost where it was just the right height for max leg extension. That way, after a down hill section I could raise it back up to the exact height I needed with ease. I understand some people would be relcuctant to put a scratch mark on their seatpost intentionaly, but for me, it was function over fashion.

#8 ·
net wurker said:
Pyro, I wasn't trying to imply that out west is just all fireroads. I just set up that example of the kind of ride where a dropper seat post wouldn't be a benefit.

Forget I said "out west" :)

EDIT: BTW, before I had a dropper post, I had an etched line (I used an awl) on my seatpost at the high mark, the position on my seatpost where it was just the right height for max leg extension. That way, after a down hill section I could raise it back up to the exact height I needed with ease. I understand some people would be relcuctant to put a scratch mark on their seatpost intentionaly, but for me, it was function over fashion.
I was just curious, never know what people think :p

But i see what your saying, a simple climb then descend situation doesnt require one as much as a rolling up-down, up-down trail.

I have been thinking of doing that actually. hmmm, need to find something sharp now.

#9 ·
I've used a Gravity Dropper since 2005. I use it a LOT. Even other people that have 'em think I'm weird. If I'm going downhill, even a mild downhill, the seat is down. Any uphill, I pop it back up.

Yes, it works fine for frequent use.

#10 ·
SWriverstone said:
I'm a bit confused about how the switch-operated version works-when you drop the seat, does it just drop on its own (via gravity)? Or do you have to push it down? (e.g. sit down on it while holding the button).

And when you need it up, you just press the button and it pops right up, right?

Scott
Just make sure your sac is nowhere close to the saddle when putting back up. :eek:

#11 ·
Spinning Lizard said:
Just make sure your sac is nowhere close to the saddle when putting back up. :eek:
Lmao, ain't the truth hurts, the good news is it usually only happen once and you'll learn to respect the speed of the moving post.

I'm with trailville it's the way I set up the post, only long climb I extend all the way.

When it comes to adj post there's 2 major schools, fixed travel post like gravity dropper, AMP, spech command post, ect. They are easier to maintain because they are mechanical, most if not all offers multiple height option and remote option. Predetermined height gives you the same position every time but tax you on the speed of return to full extension.

The second is hydraulic post like KS, Crank bros Joplins, RS Reverb, ect. They are infinite adjustment so you can be anywhere in the travel range. They are smooth and quiet, very easy to live with. All but one only available in 2 sizes 30.9&31.6, KS is the only company I know that offer 27.2. With the ability and freedom to put it any height in the travel encourage you to use it more. More simple remote activation and more egonomic remote as well.

Once you get used to the muscle memory involved in dropping the seat you should be using avg of 20-30 times a ride double that with hydro. It makes riding at perfect height possible all the time, well at least at the given travel. I own both kinds and like them both. Mechanical used to serve me very well on the seat tube smaller than 30.9, but now I have more option. I prefer hydro and I like KS, they have been good to me. If not Reverb would have been my choice.

The learning curve is quite shallow, soon you'll be shifting, dropping, and braking almost at once before the steep roll or drop and repeat before you start rolling up on the other side. Starting in the middle of a steep climb is also possible because you can drop the seat and weight the rear tire as you start pedaling the pop the post up once you get rolling, the task that's harder to do with fixed height post.

Have fun shopping.

#12 ·
I use mine constantly, rock gardens are so much easier, sketchy roots as well. I also use it for hills of course, but anything technical is better for me with my center of gravity lower. I have two Gravity Droppers a KS and a Joplin, they are all great, although I prefer the mechanical posts a little bit.

#13 ·
SWriverstone said:
This question is for anyone who has a Gravity Dropper-especially the bar-mounted, switch-activated model.

Do these things work fast and reliably enough to pop the seat up and down a LOT while riding?

I'm just wondering if those of you who have them generally only raise/lower your seat once or twice during a ride?

Or can you literally drop it for a short rock garden...pop it back up for a level stretch of pedaling...then drop it again 30 seconds later for a steep downhill...then quickly pop it back up at the bottom of the hill for the climb up the other side?

Does it work fast enough to use like that?

Scott
Hey Scott,

Yes…it works fast enough to use just like that!;)

Here is what I said about this product back in 2005:

Submitted by: Michael from Coloma, CA
Date Reviewed: August 29, 2005
Favorite Trail: Hole in the Ground, Ward Peak/Stanford Rock, Moab
Duration Product Used: Less than 1 month
Price Paid: $250.00
Purchased At: GravityDropper
Strengths: Re-defines, in the most positive possible manner, how you ride your bike!
Weaknesses: There are no weaknesses that I can see because the weight and price are more than offset by the enhanced performance and safety you receive. When Wayne becomes a materials and economic magician I'm sure he will cause it to weigh less than a carbon seatpost and only cost $19.95. (-:
Similar Products Used: Hite-Rite back in the day.
Bike Setup: 2005 Specialized Enduro Pro
Bottom Line: It is not often that you can say that you were there and participated when a sport experiences a revolutionary jump due to a change in the equipment design or material. It is always a moment when after it happens you wonder why it didn't happen before the moment it did. If you skied when shaped skis came out or kayaked when planning hulls were introduced you know exactly what I mean. I believe that, with this product, mountain biking is about to go through a similar experience to both of those sports. Shaped skis and planning hulls dominate their respective sports and I believe that it won't be long before GravityDropper has that same position in the world of mountain biking. The benefits that the product brings to the rider are such that it warrants that level of acceptance. To poorly paraphrase Warren Miller you want to buy one of these now because if you wait you'll only be a year older when you do.

Scott, since you're a kayaker I thought you might be able to relate to and remember the introduction of planing hulls. Since I wrote that review I've used all three models they offer on 5 different bikes. Currently the only bike I don't use one on is my jump bike and my unicycle. On a number of trails I ride I move the seat up and down many more times than I shift gears!

Get one….you'll love it!

Take care,

Michael:thumbsup:

#14 ·
I'm SOLD! :D Now my only challenge is to figure out which one to get?

After reading comments above, I was all set to get a hydraulic post like the KS...but then wyatt79m said he likes the mechanical ones.

Ugh. Decisions.

Money is tight...so if the KS is cheaper, that might be the one for me...as long as it's just as fast and easy to pop up/down.

Someone mentioned lateral play in the mechanical posts (like the Gravity Dropper)...is this really noticeable? (Or is that just being ultra-knit-picky?)

Scott

#15 ·
Found a nice YouTube vid demonstrating the KS post---it looks awesome. (Second half of the vid shows the guy using it on the trail...this sold me even more...)

Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.