Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: goodbye cycle?

mtbr member

goodbye cycle?

Anyone sold a bike to them?

I saw an ad in the mtbr newsletter, and have a bike I've been trying to sell, so I filled out their form, not committing to anything, just curious.
    So they came back with an offer that surprised me. I was expecting less.

I'm wondering if anyone has any horror stories, before I send them my bike.

mtbr member
    As long as you get the $$$ before sending it I wouldnt be too worried (unless they pay western union lol)

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Tell us what happened!

Your feedback is important to us! Feel free to comment publicly we try to do the right thing for everyone so I am confident this story has a happy ending.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I too checked out the ad as I also have a bike I wish to sell. I am a bit leery of Goodbye Cycles. They are supposedly interested in high end bikes, but they have labeled Sram components with Shimano, and have misspelled Campagnolo several times as well in the bike quote form.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've been trying to sell a 98 s-works with a mix of older and more modern parts so I tried Goodbye Cycles. Their communication during the appraisal process was good but in the end they weren't interested in the bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Corrections to the bike form

We launched a new website 2 weeks ago. I noticed the same errors you mentioned on the SRAM component options but I had not noticed the misspelling on Campagnolo. Thanks for the heads up! We will get it corrected today.

The people behind the website (Leonard and Paul) are cyclists. But we have to rely on non-cyclist to build our website.

If you ever have any questions or or you just want to talk about bikes, give us a call!

Toll Free 855-201-4225

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I sold a S-works Stumpjumper To them and they are excellent they paid for the shipping i didn't have to leave and once it arrived the payment was sent out the next day, Perfect transaction couldn't be happier.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I ealier noted that I was cautious about Goodbye Cycles, but I did end up selling them a bike and could not be more pleased. Leonard was very good with response and content via email. I spoke with Paul twice and he was great to deal with. Payment via Paypal was initiated within three hours of their having received my bike. Would gladly do business with them again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I was going to sell my 08 EX 9.0 to them. They guy i emailed with was very fast, and friendly.The price i was given was just slightly under what i wanted to get for the bike, but it was very fair. I would trust their business 100%. They send a prepaid bicycle box right out to you, with the tools to dissassemble. Just box it up and have UPS come pick it up. Super easy. The only reason i didnt sell to them was because i decided to hang on to the bike being that the the new bike that i was eyeing up had been sold. In the future, i wouldnt hesistate to use them. Great guys!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Anybody else notice that right after Goodbyecycle posted, Two users posted about a positive transaction with this company. Funny thing is look at their post count......then the join date. Really strange.

Your Best Friend
    I'll play. I read this post when it first came up and thought I'd try it out just for kicks (I almost felt bad doing this but I'll bet 90% of their offers are just inquiries). I have exactly the kind of bike they are looking for, according to them. The offer I got was ridiculous, bordering on laughable. It was about half of what I could sell it for on e-bay. I guess if you were desperate it would be an easy way of unloading your bike to pay some bills. I know they need to make some money after they buy it but at least make the offer good enough that I'm tempted.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Like reading comments on phone apps. The first one is A L W A Y S the developer. The next few are their friends...lol.

Your Best Friend
    To be fair and honest, my inquiry to Goodbye Cycle did not include a picture of my bike. As they say "a picture is worth a thousand words" I really think that if I had provided a good picture my offer may have been closer to what I was hoping for. I'm sure I fall into the trap that most of us do, thinking our bikes are worth more than they are, especially this one, at least for me. I have since had the pleasure of talking with the owner and he was able to explain their purchasing process. I really think it could work for most people if you don't want to go through the hassle of dealing with e-bay and all the crazy offers you get after posting on craigs list. One honest buyer who knows his stuff is better than 10 maybes.

I have to say, this guy is pretty cool and I think it is a really smart idea to help a lot of people unload high end bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Goodbye to Goodbye cycle

I just checked with them to see how much they would give me for my 2009 Trek Fuel EX 8.
    Now my bike may not be as high end as they get but its not a walmart bike. They told me they would not buy it because it had Shimano slx components.

I would have to almost agree with what member Jack and coke wrote.

Anybody else notice that right after Goodbyecycle posted, Two users posted about a positive transaction with this company. Funny thing is look at their post count......then the join date. Really strange.

Your Best Friend
    Nickaver...I'm sure you really like your bike and think it is great but if a company wants to buy high end bikes, SLX probably doesn't cut it. I wouldn't try to sell my road bike to them with 105 on it.

I agree with you though. It isn't my business and I don't know their inner workings but I would think that any nice bike could bring at least some profit. Maybe is just isn't enough for them to justify their time.

It would be interesting to find out their average profit margin but that is probably their happy trade secret.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Silfenfoe, did they pay you to post that? What kind of bike did you offer them?
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    This place is like high school, except the morons here don't get automatically put in stupid kid classes...

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by ssiegrist View Post
    Silfenfoe, did they pay you to post that? What kind of bike did you offer them?

Ha! No, but fair enough. If you read my previous post I pretty much summed up how I felt when I got my offer. I stand by that initial feeling. That being said, I have since had the opportunity to talk with the owner so I could figure out why I got (IMO) lowballed. He was cordial and straight forward and had some good reasons. If I wanted to pursue it I could have actually attached a picture and gone further into detail. My fault in the end because I didn't really want to sell my bike anyway, just curious. Although if I'd been offered enough to cover some new ENVE wheels I would have jumped at it.

I put up an 09 Turner DW pimped to the 9's. Retail was $7500.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Lets see what they make of my Heckler I just submitted for a quote.
    Klein Attitude XX
    Santa Cruz Heckler 6.1
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Moonlander

mtbr member
    I am currently in the process of selling my Ventana El Ciclon to Goodbye Cycles as we speak. So far they have answered all of my questions in a timely manner and have been very nice. I got a bit lower than what I would have gotten if I listed it on Ebay or here but with no Ebay or Paypal fees it made up for the difference. I told them I would only ship the bike to them cash on delivery with a Postal Money Order as my only accepted form of payment. They were fine with that and just asked me to send them my tracking # after I ship it so they can have the payment ready when the bike arrives. I highly doubt that a non-legitimate company would have so readily accepted that option without trying to force me into a different payment method. I will keep you guys posted on how this progresses as I am supposed to ship the bike out early next week but so far so good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nickaver View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nickaver View Post

A little presumptious, wouldn't you say?

Ive been a member of this board for years, and have no connection with this company whatsoever.My positive experience was directly related to the expectation i had for them before i even wrote an email. I was looking to sell my bike a while back and found goodbye cycles when I was browsing the bikes wanted section here. It didnt work out for me for a couple of reasons.

1. The bike i was looking to get sold out from under me.

2. The price i got from goodbye wasnt as high as i would like. Im assuming their business, like any other these days has a tight profit margin. Why would they offer you the world for a bike that you can't even sell? Trade in your car at a dealer for fast, convienient transactions. If you want to get the most for it, youll sit on it until the right person comes along and buys it. Goodbye will send you cash quick if thats what you're looking for.

Dont be a hater bro. I wish i had the brass to start a company like that one.

Tactical Nightmare
    I haven't tried Goodbye Cycle at all, but to me it seems the common issue is what people think when trading in a car to a car dealership. Usually the person trading it in thinks they should get "retail" for the car they are selling, but it doesn't work like that. If you want a retail value for it, you have to do the leg work and earn that retail value. The car dealer isn't going to give you top dollar for it, because they are there to make a profit, and if they give you full retail, they have no room to make any money. So, they give you less than retail, but you don't have to do any work to get rid of it.

But, going this channel, you need to expect a wholesale price for your bike. They have to make money, as they are a for profit business. They have expenses like any other business that they have to cover. So, there is no way they are going to give you what you could sell it for on your own.....the math doesn't workout that way. Now, if they have a customer looking for a specific bike, maybe they will go over and above, because they know there is still a profit to be made.

I will say as you all mentioned above, I find the couple of posts that say how great it is, that only have one post, and joined to just post their comments, does make me leary.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I am not by any means attacking the business model of this company. I simply noticed that right after this company made a post in this thread, 2 users (ktfun/99mikegt) posted a positive experience with the company. I also happened to notice the low post count, then noticed they had been registered for a few years. I simply found that to be really odd. I understand many people join forums and lurk without ever posting. Just thought it was funny that this thread helped them bust our of their shell

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

My apology.

I would first like to apologies to Leonard the owner of Goodbye cycle for my post earlier.
    I was happy this morning when Leonard took time out of his day to give me a call and explain a little about his business and why he did not want to buy my Trek EX 8 from me.

After speaking to him for a few minutes he told me that he would still be willing to work something out with me. Which I thought was really cool on his part.

After speeking to Leonard I now would not hesitate do sell him my bike. (for a fair price of courses).

Shout maybe he could sponsor me if he's looking to get his good name out there. Maybe he could sponsor me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I also sent in specs on a bike for a quote. Substantially lower than what I expected. Oh well I guess I have to keep it for now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trodaq View Post
    I also sent in specs on a bike for a quote. Substantially lower than what I expected. Oh well I guess I have to keep it for now.
    ditto on my quote...
    Klein Attitude XX
    Santa Cruz Heckler 6.1
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Moonlander

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast