Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: goodbye cycle?

mtbr member
    I sent Goodbye Cycle a form for a quote and was shocked of the lowball offer they made me. My rear Mavic Crossmax wheel that I just put on the bike is worth more alone than the offer they made for the whole bike. If they really knew what high end bike and components are really worth they would have never offered me that kind of money and made an offer that would have been fair. Not impress at all !!!
    Specialized SJ Pro Carbon / Enduro FSR expert / Trek 8000 hartail
    Live To Ride / Ride To Live

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

1999 Specialized FSR

Quote Originally Posted by roach View Post
    I sent Goodbye Cycle a form for a quote and was shocked of the lowball offer they made me. My rear Mavic Crossmax wheel that I just put on the bike is worth more alone than the offer they made for the whole bike. If they really knew what high end bike and components are really worth they would have never offered me that kind of money and made an offer that would have been fair. Not impress at all !!!

Don't get mad, give us a call! Maybe we missed something— (855) 201-4225 toll free!

There is a real human that loves bikes on the other end of that e-mail or phone. Even if we don't make a deal. You will have a friend in Texas to go ride with next time you are here.

The upside is that now you have a bid (which you are not obligated to take), and you still have the option to sell it locally at your discretion. We're here to make it easy... sometimes our service is not a fit but at least you have an option you did not have yesterday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goodbyecycle View Post
    Don't get mad, give us a call! Maybe we missed something— (855) 201-4225 toll free!

There is a real human that loves bikes on the other end of that e-mail or phone. Even if we don't make a deal. You will have a friend in Texas to go ride with next time you are here.

The upside is that now you have a bid (which you are not obligated to take), and you still have the option to sell it locally at your discretion. We're here to make it easy... sometimes our service is not a fit but at least you have an option you did not have yesterday.
    One think that would help all the members here is if you would tell us about your background in the bike industry and how you proceed to review bikes when you receive quotes. After working in the bike industry myself, I question your ability to evaluate a bike and his components as your offer to me not to mention any numbers was not even close to a fraction of the parts on the bike like I said in my previous post.
    Specialized SJ Pro Carbon / Enduro FSR expert / Trek 8000 hartail
    Live To Ride / Ride To Live

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by roach View Post
    One think that would help all the members here is if you would tell us about your background in the bike industry and how you proceed to review bikes when you receive quotes. After working in the bike industry myself, I question your ability to evaluate a bike and his components as your offer to me not to mention any numbers was not even close to a fraction of the parts on the bike like I said in my previous post.
    I feel that this is a little aggressive. He gave you a quote, and none of "the members" have any idea what your bike even was. Could have been a piece o poo. Also he has to make a profit, so of course your not going to get the same as if you were selling it yourself. This is just like selling a used car on your own, or to a dealer, one is a hassle but you get more cash, the other is convenient but less profitable.

I have received a quote from goodbycycles and thought it was reasonable. Yes, a little lower than i hoped, but i still considered it because of the potential ease of transaction. Life ended up getting busy and i didn't follow through, but i thought Leonard was very pleasant to deal with.

Your Best Friend
    Once again, the problem I'm seeing here is that your bike is worth more to you than it's actual value. If your bike was/is a 1999 Specialized FSR, without knowing more, I wouldn't pay more than $400 for it and that is a private party sale. You are essentially asking for the easiest way out and he needs to make a profit so I'd guess your offer was closer to $250 if you even got an offer at all. I'm really not trying to bag on you, just pointing out reality. Sometimes it's a hard slap to the face. Throwing a nice wheel on the bike makes it nicer for you but you won't get the value back out of it when you sell it. That is why most people hang on to the older parts so that when they do re-sell, they can swap out and sell the new stuff seperately or build up a new frame.

You've used that bike for its profitable life span, sell it cheap or give it to a noob friend and move on to a new bike. I've done it several times and I love to see my old stuff getting used.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Seriously - you guys should back off a bit. If your not interested, then simply dont do business or waste his time giving out quotes. Bikes are a dime a dozen. Great bikes are a dime a dozen, so sell it yourself if you want top dollar. Take it FWIW and get over it. Damn

NMBP
    Well, my bike is packed up and shipping out to them tomorrow. So far, they have been great. I have communicated with emails and a phone call.

I received what I thought was a fair price for my bike. They made me an offer, but once I sent some photos, and explained the condition in more detail, they raised the offer a bit and included free shipping.

They said once that it is received, they will quickly inspect it, and pay me through Paypal. They could also write a check, but I would rather just have the instant payment.

I will post up again when the deal is completed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just out of curiosity, is anyone willing to share the offer % relative to new/retail price? I guess it is really only relevant for newer bikes but I think that is what they want anyway....

NMBP

Update

Well, I am a satisfied customer. They received my bike today, took a few hours to make sure everything was as described, and paid me through Paypal. Everything went off with out a hitch. (Except FedEx who took two days longer than they originally said they would). Would use them again in the future for sure.

mtbr member
    Hi, just thought I would update you on my experiences. Everything went very smoothly, great communication and they were a pleasure to talk to on the phone. I did receive a lower bid than what I would list it for on here of course but once I factored in the Ebay fees, shipping costs and just time and headaches in general the lower offer did not seem so bad. Now its time to start building up the new Rune I got rid of it for!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Wink good experience overall

I recently sold my 29er MTB to Goodbye Cycle. A lot of concern at first whether they were legitimate, but read the posts here and discussed options with Leonard and Paul at GBC. They seem up front and reasonable. I did end up sending my bike to them after we arranged satisfactory payment (via Pay Pal, which I guess they had not done before, surprisingly). My bike arrived there a bit damaged (scratched in transit) which was in part my fault due to not packing the bike as well as I should have. The other issue was that they felt the bike was not as advertised to them - regarding level of component group. This was (I think) due to what seems inadequate means to describe the bike on their website. The have a clean website except they do not provide an adequate menu from which to describe a particular bike. For example, one of their drop down options for component level says "Shimano SRAM XX" and doesn't appear to distinguish Shimano vs SRAM. They also allow for the possibility of sending only a single photo of the bike. They could make improvements in these areas. We did eventually come to a price agreement taking into account the bike damage and component level, and I have to say they were responsive, courteous and seemingly well intentioned in their dealings with me.

mtbr member

Good job! Excellent Experience as well

Sent in the info and a picture of my roadbike. They made what I thought was a very good offer. Shipped the bike C.O.D. Received the cashier's check about 7 business days later.

Would definitely do business with them again.
    Last edited by mlx john; 02-24-2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: spelling
    2014 Tallboy 2

mtbr member
    Gave these guys a try after growing weary of dealing with the flakes responding to my classifieds here at mtbr and over at pinkbike (selling a 2008 Santa Cruz Bullit). I sent an inquiry and got an offer back the next business day. As others have noted, this is no different than selling your used car to a dealer - you're not going to get street price, as the dealer has to resell the vehicle, cover his overhead, and earn a little margin. On that basis, I felt the offer was fair. I used their FedEx shipping, which was $59 for a pickup at my house. Bike was delivered to them on a Tuesday and I received a check the following Monday (they have a paypal option that I'm assuming is quicker, but I didn't want to incur the paypal fees). Communication was timely throughout - they invariably responded in less than a business day. So...overall, a positive experience. Would sell to them again.

mtbr member
    Maybe I missed it, but do they sell bikes? What are they doing with the bikes they buy? I just filled out the form to see if they buy frames. I figure they don't, but can't hurt to ask I guess. I didn't see anything on the site that says they don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Looking at their ebay listings it appears that they part everything out and sell it all individually. Lot's of components for sale, and some frames.

ebay.com/sch/m.html?_from=&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ssn=goodbyecycle&_pgn=3&_skc=50&rt=nc]goodbyecycle | eBay

mtbr member
    Well, they only buy complete bikes, no frames, which really doesn't make sense if they are stripping the bikes and selling the parts and frames anyways. It's all good though cause I'm sure I would have been lowballed and wouldn't have sold anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    I asked them for a quote on my Rotec and they said it was too unique for them to be able to sell
    Cheers, Dan
    Voodoo Canzo
    Rotec FR-8

Front Range, Colorado
    If this is true that they strip the bikes and sell parts and frames separately I could see why Nubser would wonder why they just don't buy a frame only. But my guess is that the money is made from selling the parts and the frames are sold dirt cheap. This being because rarely does someone purchase and older frame design to build up. Most buy a new frame and purchase the parts they can afford. Which in this case these parts are perfect for. And also I would imagine the high percent of parts sold is for people buying replacement and to upgrade.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    I used Goodbye Cycle to sell me wife's 2010 Specialized Era. I would highly recommend using them. The quote form is free and if you don't like the quoted price, simply don't sell to them. I also sent them a link to about 20 high quality pictures of her bike after receiving the quote as the bike had some scratches. They did adjust the original quote slightly after they were able to view the pictures. I still thought the quote was fair. I packed up the bike, sent it out to them and received a check a few days later. I would gladly sell another bike to them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Must have more money than brains...or time.

So, I think I am tracking on most of the details here. They are a business, and must make money to stay in business. Everyone needs to make a living, and every dollar you have or get came from someone else. They have overhead. A shop with employees/partners, taxes, a BIKE magazine ad, and a web designer to pay. Lets not forget about the 10% eBay/paypal fees, since that is where they sell most of their items that they buy. So, with all of these expenses, their profit margin on every bike purchase must be significant. I would guess that this margin must be at least $800+. They specify that they are only interested in ,“gently used, high end bicycles”, and more specially, xtr, x0, xx components. They also mention that the components must be the current model, or in mint condition. To sum it up, they are cherry picking. Everybody dreams of scoring a great deal on a high end bike, but I have never seen it as a business. They are discouraging people from selling their items on eBay or Craigslist, so they can buy them and resell them on ebay . Check them out on eBay, they are stripping bikes and selling them as parts at HIGH USED PRICES. These guys even sell their shifters/brake levers separately so they can raise the prices.
    So, why do I care? They are raising the prices of used bike equipment. This business is taking reasonable eBay/Craigslist deals away from you and I, and reselling them at much higher prices. I buy all my bike gear off eBay and Craigslist, and don’t like what is happening here. Selfish of me, yes, but I also have a lot of friends that do the same. So, that is my take on the “who, what , when and where” portion.
    I just cant grasp the why. Why do people sell their “gently used high end xtr/xx/x0 bikes” to these guys? Their claim to fame is that it is easier than Craigslist and eBay. If you are listing a detailed description, with pictures (not required by any, but highly recommended), and are responsible for the packing and shipping of the bike, how is it easier than eBay? They mention a Dr. from Oklahoma bringing them “4 pimped out ti bikes” on their website. Maybe it made sense to him. Maybe they should advertise in M.D. Monthly. Im not a Dr. from Oklahoma, and I cant afford to get $1,000 less than I should on the bike that I need to sell.
    So, what would I suggest? Sell you bike on Craigslist if you are looking for fast cash with the least amount of work. Its free and easy to list. If you list your, “gently used, high end bicycles” on Craigslist with a detailed description and pictures for $1,000 less than it is would sell for on ebay, someone will come and give you cash for it within the hour. If you want to get the best $ for your bike then list it on eBay yourself. If you have a detailed description and pictures, you will get MUCH MORE THAN THEY WILL PAY with a no reserve auction. If you want to spend 2 more minutes, and are apprehensive, check similar items/completed listings and do a buy it now, or reserve. If you are in a hurry to get cash, drop the price a few hundred bucks and require immediate payment. IT WILL SELL FAST!
    And, if you love your bike, you can get that warm fuzzy feeling knowing that it is going to someone that will ride it instead of going to some chop shop in Texas. Take a look at these guys in their Bike Mag add…

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Maybe it is all a front and what they are selling are all parts off of stolen bikes. hmmmmm What gets me is how ridiculous their prices are on Ebay. I can buy the stuff for a small percentage more brand spanking new from the local bike shop. But hey, thats just me. Some people have more money than sense.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Prices too high, offers too low, front for stolen goods... Really??

I am one of the owners of Goodbye Cycle, I started it because I love bikes and I like to buy new bikes. My wife (other owner) was tired of the garage being full of bikes and she kept asking me to sell some of them. I realized that many of my friends had the same issue. We try really hard to do the right thing for all of our friends in the cycling industry. We are not getting rich but we are feeding a bunch of kids and riding bikes.

If you think our offers are too low, do not sell your bike to us. If you read through these posts, you will notice that most of the negative stuff is from people that have not done business with us. We can't obviously offer everyone what they want for their bike, if you don't like it, you can sell it elsewhere. If you do like your offer, you can be assured you will get paid in a timely manner and be treated fairly.

If you think our prices are too high on ebay, remember, most of the items we sell on Ebay include free shipping and have a 14 day no questions return policy. So if we are a few bucks higher, that might be why. However, we do not set the prices on Ebay, you do! If our price is too high, the item does not sell. It is that simple.

On the last point, all I can say is, really...?? This guy that does not even know us is floating the suggestion publicly that we are some sort of a illegal front operation.... Before you post something negative like this about someone, give them a call or report them to the police! If you have no idea what you are talking about, maybe it's not really your place to make such a comment...

So once again, here's my toll free number: (855) 201-4225. If you are not happy with anything Goodbye Cycle has done, call us. We want to make it right!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    They obviously aren't going to offer retail prices (or the ebay value) because they are in it to make money when they sell it. If you want full value, sell it on ebay.

I'm SUCH a square....
    A few points:

1.) GBC represents themselves well here; believe it or don't, your choice. DEAL WITH THEM or not, your choice. Some folks have, and have been satisfied. Others, less so. It happens.

2.) IT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS WHETHER OR NOT THEY ARE BUYING COMPLETE HIGH-END BIKES AND STRIPPING THEM FOR PARTS TO PROFITEER; IT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS HOW THEY OPERATE. DEAL WITH THEM OR DON'T. TALK ABOUT WHAT YOU KNOW, NOT WHAT YOU THINK OR SUSPECT. Anything else is bullsh**. If you sell them a bike, you have decided the price is right; your interest is over.

3.) I won't deal with GBC because I don't have anything they'd be interested in. By the time I'm ready to deal with any bike, it's because I wore out the last one and need a replacement. But, hey -- GBC dudes -- best of luck to your biz, really.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    I contacted these guys about buying a SC Blur I have had sitting on the shelf for a few years now due to my switch to 29ers. I thought they gave me a fair price for my bike and it was packed up and shipped to them last week. Although they funded my paypal account I had to sign a shipping agreement which gives them the option of sending the bike back or renegotiating the price if the product is not as advertised. I guess this makes sense since they haven't seen the bike yet except a few pictures. Not expecting any issues since it is a nice bike.
    Shipping cost and paypal fees ( 2.9% ) knock the sale down a bit but I didn't even get a bite on craigslist so for me this was a great option.
    My wife usually keeps a count on how many bikes I have so since I had recently purchased a new Spec camber I should be safe from her wrath, LOL.
    If the path ahead looks dangerous ------- it probably is!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast