Always in the wrong gear

Good Deeds on the Trail - Helping others when they need it.

I'm sure that a large majority of riders have seen someone on a trail that needed some assistance and have offered help. I've witnessed it, and love the camaraderie that surrounds this sport.

Today on my ride at the local trails (PSP for all you AZ folks), I ran into a couple of hikers that had gotten involved with a cholla cactus. They were taking photo's of a birds nest and the woman got stuck with a 4" piece of cholla in her thigh. Her husband was having a hard time getting this thing off her, so I stopped and grabbed my Leatherman multi-tool and pulled the cactus out as carefully as I could. Needless to say they were greatly appreciative of my assistance.

Who here has pulled the "Good Samaritan" card and helped some one that was in a bad situation on the trails? Not including the occasional spare tube situation. Let's hear the stories!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I walked a couple out of the woods while I was on a night ride. It was at dusk and they would have been screwed. They didn't know where they were and the guy was bonking (out-a-state/flatlander). I offered him Gu (all I had), he was hesitant. The woman he was with, who made it very clear they were not "together" as a couple, made him eat it. I had beer with me as well but they turned that down. Ruined my ride but I'd do it again in a minute.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
    I walked a couple out of the woods while I was on a night ride. It was at dusk and they would have been screwed. They didn't know where they were and the guy was bonking (out-a-state/flatlander). I offered him Gu (all I had), he was hesitant. The woman he was with, who made it very clear they were not "together" as a couple, made him eat it. I had beer with me as well but they turned that down. Ruined my ride but I'd do it again in a minute.
    Was she hot?

-S

Always in the wrong gear
    I forgot to mention they were an "older" couple. lol But, she was in good shape for her age.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Coondog#77 View Post
    I forgot to mention they were an "older" couple. lol But, she was in good shape for her age.
    Lol.. figured it was some out of town snowbirds. Hee hee.

...now we gotta see what jugs (above) says about his find....

-S

mtbr member
    I've helped and been helped.

As the recipient, the standout is:
    A nice couple from Canada took me to the ER after they found me on the trail going in to shock. 2 broken collarbones, 7 broken ribs, separated shoulder, bruised kidney, concussion, etc. Apparently Canadian riders spring in to action when they see someone staggering down the trail sans bike with helmet on and in riding attire. The girl even hiked back a few miles and carried my bike out since it wasn't rolling and I couldn't carry it. I FREAKIN' LOVE CANADIANS.

As the trail do gooder:
    -Found a mother and daughter who were out with their horses. Daughter got bucked and was on the ground. Mother was incapable of rendering any aid. I raced to the ranger station to start a rescue. It was a multi mile big ring sprint.
    -Numerous on trail suspension, shifter, and brake adjustments for riders across the southwest.
    -Have shuttled dozens of people back to Moab who originally thought they would be riding back to town after completing Porcupine Rim, Hazzard Down, TWE, etc.
    -Calmed a young kid that had broken his femur and had been lying on the trail for a while. Made sure he felt he would be ok and then initiated rescue.
    -Over the years have bandaged and cleaned up more than a few girls who have gone OTB on their "first real mtb ride" while their slightly overzealous boyfriend stood by. It was always the ride he wanted to do and not the ride that they should have done that resulted in the bloody chins, broken noses, and chipped teeth.
    -Drained a Fox Float trailside for a rider who was suffering oil migration to restore travel and get him down Hazzard/Porcupine with a functioning fork.
    -handed out dozens of quick links over the years for broken chains.
    -handed out lots of food and H20 to bonking riders
    -Stopped my ride many times and offered to ride with folks who were "lost" freaked out or over their heads.
    -returned a few lost dogs to the trailhead and their relieved owners
    -shared lots of sunscreen

In 25+ years of riding there are lots more, but you get the picture.
    Last edited by 11053; 12-27-2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: punctuation

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Was she hot?

-S
    No Penthouse Forum ending to share. I got them out, rode somewhere (basking in karma) and had a beer then rode home to my wife and then, new born son. Good times to remember.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Two incidents come to mind. The first was at a big public park in town. I rolled up on a guy with a flat tire who was a total noob. I filled it up, showed him the gear he needed to do it on his own next time and was on my way. He seemed totally blown away bymthe simple act of kindness. Later in the same ride i saw a little old lady with a flat tire on the road that runs by the park. I dismounted, crossed the barbed wire fence, and changed her car tire for her (saved her son about a 1.5 hour drive in the process). As i was changing it...the noob from earlier rolled up and offered to help...what a quick return on investment!

The next day i saw him helping someone else with a trail problem...its funny how sometimes a first impression can leave a mark.

The second one i can think of was riding a trail thats kind of out of the way. I was on the side of the road about to dive back into the woods when a pickup truck slowed next to me. A lady was driving and she told me that her 9-year old daughter was missing...lost on the trail. They werent from the area and it was getting dark. Just about that time her husband and 16 year old son popped out on their bikes. They hadnt seen her.

I came up with a search plan, coordinated communication channels between all parties (including other bikers who came past as i was dealing witht the issue), calmed them down, and we got to work. I told her id meet her in the parking lot after finishing my part of the search route, i promised her i wasnt going home until we found her, and off we went.

I stopped in the woods and asked two walkers if they had seen this little girl. They said they hadnt but that another biker had come by and alerted them to the problem. I was giving them my phone number when my phone rang...it was the little girls mother...they found her!

I gave them the news and rocketed off to finish my ride. Every moment a kid is lost is a terribly emotional deal so I felt great that i was able to bring some calm and order to the situation and help this family find their daughter faster than they would have otherwise.

Warrior's Society
    Can't tell you how many dozens and dozens of flats I have changed on the trail for others.

Lots of showing lost newbies around.

Lots of giving away my nutrition items to needy riders.

Lots of giving directions and trails info.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

beater
    When I see people stopped along the trail I always ask "Got everything you need?" since it seems less patronizing than asking if they need help.

I've given out a lot of tubes over the years. The last time I rode the Porcupine Rim system, I handed out two. One guy tried to pay me but he only had a $20 bill, and I said no way. Trail karma. I've also handed out tire boot patches and loaned pumps and tools. And I don't think I've ever ridden at Sovereign (outside Moab) without handing out the maps I've printed to someone I meet.

Basically, if you ride enough, you'll encounter loads of opportunities to help people out. I think it's pretty inherent to most outdoor activities: I have similar stories from rafting and backpacking.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.