mtbr member

Is this a good deal?

So I'm looking to get back into mountain biking. I use to do it all the time then I moved and wasn't able to, but now that I'm in college there are some great trails where I'm at and I'd love to get back into it.

I had a Zed K2 2.0, but it's all kinds of terrible in it's current state.

MAIN QUESTION:

I found a Giant Pistol 1 for $550, I could probably get the price down to $500, would it be worth it? I'm sure I'm going to hear either save my money for a better FS bike over a grand. Or buy a decent hardtail. But what are y'alls thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Depending on the condition, it may be an okay buy, but suspension components do not, by and large, age gracefully.

Pivots may be worn (can you secure replacement parts for the linkage, for example?) as well as the shock/fork. Make sure the bike is tight before you commit to a buy, if you are still interested. If the bike so much as made a squeak, I would write it off, as there is no way to really tell if it is damage or neglect without buying and going over the bike with a fine-toothed comb.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice! I think I'm going to steer clear of it, the bike may be too small for me (6'4" 190lbs).

I've been thinking about these two bikes:

K2 Base 2.0 or Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29 (I would post a link but am unable)

Any thoughts on which way to go? I will mainly be riding single track trails.

mtbr member
    At 6"4", I would only be looking 29er.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    At 6"4", I would only be looking 29er.
    Yeah, that is sounding more and more like the way I'm going to go.I think I'll check out my lbs but I'm really leaning towards that Specialized. Any thoughts on that particular bike?

mtbr member
    Specialized are great. I would expect that the Hardrock Sport Disc would be a decent entry level bike and it comes in a 23 inch frame which would probably be the one you should get. Rely on the guys at the LBS to get you in the right size. (Torso to leg proportion and all).

If you really get into riding, you'll want to keep the bike stock and clean so you can trade up. Good luck
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    Here you go...Same cheap parts as on any other brand hardtail costing twice as much because of the name on it..save your money....this is the best deal in entry level ive seen..Mountain Bikes | FRONT SUSPENSION 26 | MOTOBECANE | 450HT ORANGE | BikeShopWarehouse.com | The new Motobecane 450HT renews the long tradition Motobecane has for offering screaming mountain bikes that won't make you cry when you pay for them! <