mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Good cage pedals to use with Power Grips (sort of toe clips)?

Hello people,

I'm not satisfied with using platform pedals. They give lots of grip, but also scratches. And so i've bought Power Grips.

I've checked some pedals out at http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Pedal/
    The pedals which i can probably attach the Power Grips to, are the Wellgo LU, and the WTB Momentum Toe Clip Pedals. That last one is the only pedal with an review, and it's an bad review...

So, can anybody give me an tip, which cage pedal to buy?

Greetz from Holland, Marco

mtbr member
    Not all flat cage pedals will work with Power Grips. They need to have holes in the metal cage (or places to drill the holes) to attach the grips. I use Nashbar Cage pedals (model NS-CGP) with Power Grips. They have the mounting holes in the right places and have worked fine for 18 months.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle Maniac
    Hello people,

I'm not satisfied with using platform pedals. They give lots of grip, but also scratches. And so i've bought Power Grips.

I've checked some pedals out at http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Pedal/
    The pedals which i can probably attach the Power Grips to, are the Wellgo LU, and the WTB Momentum Toe Clip Pedals. That last one is the only pedal with an review, and it's an bad review...

So, can anybody give me an tip, which cage pedal to buy?

Greetz from Holland, Marco
    I've got the powergrips on a couple pairs of wellgo LU (XXX) pedals. no problems, just make sure they have the holes on the inside of cage for the strap. I've also got a set on some odyssey svelte(?) pedals.

aren't the WTB pedals the ones that you can buy as pedal+strap system from eko-sport? From looking at them, they will work. I've got a pair of these pedals in my spare parts box, but haven't tried them yet.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Most folks who use power grips do not use cages.

Who are the brain police?
    Fred3, You're out of date. Back in the day "cages" were the toe clips that attached to a pedal. But Cycle Maniac isn't using "cage" that way. He's using it the way its currently used "cage is the outer part of a conventional pedal, the part that comes into contact with the rider's shoe and has holes where toe clips can be secured by screws".

I wouldn't have spit hairs with your incorrect usage and Cycle Maniac's correct usage, but you brought it up with your non-advice post.

Cycle Maniac: I paid the expensive price from ekosport and got these.
    They're fantastic, but I'm sure there's cheaper alternatives, like these
    then you'd have an extra set of straps anyway.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks people, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by logbiter
    aren't the WTB pedals the ones that you can buy as pedal+strap system from eko-sport? From looking at them, they will work. I've got a pair of these pedals in my spare parts box, but haven't tried them yet.
    They look also very the same to the Wellgo M-21.

Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    ... but I'm sure there's cheaper alternatives, like these
    Uhmm... It seems to me, Amazon is only selling the straps.

By the way, i see the cage pedals have also sharp 'things' (oh hell, what's the right english word...) at the cage. Will they scratch my legs?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks people, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by logbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    ... but I'm sure there's cheaper alternatives, like these

By the way, i see the cage pedals have also sharp 'things' (oh hell, what's the right english word...) at the cage. Will they scratch my legs?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

another vote.....

for the EkoSports model; the sealed bearings are a big plus. The Odessy Svelte is also a good choice and is likely the same pedal. You can easily smooth any sharp edge on the cages with a few strokes of the file.

And no, Fred3, you missed this one too. Only the completely uninformed would ever refer to toe clips as "cages". The OP has used the term correctly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle Maniac
    Thanks people, so far.

Uh, yeah, it's always possible to mangle your shins on the pedals, but not nearly as likely with these as with the triple trap, & DH type of pedals w/ lots more teeth on 'em.
    It's pretty rare that my shin & pedals meet.

also, if you can deal with a teal green color, eko is still blowing out the old style of straps for $13, check out their blowout link.
    http://ekosport.com/fs_show_item_det...ection=&secpg=

Their pedals are likely odyssey or wellgo (who knows, they're all probably made at the same factory). It's cheaper to buy the pedals & straps seperately for sure.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]