mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Good beginner dh bike?

I just found this 98/99 Specialized Ground Control FSR Extreme for $175 CAD. Looks like it's been sitting in a garage for years. Is this ok for a beginner or better to avoid it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Good beginner dh bike?-ad_1505327262343.jpg  

Good beginner dh bike?-ad_1505327256304.jpg  

U sayin' Bolt ?
    For $175 you could do worse. Get on it and really give it a good bounce around, hit something if you can. If the suspension feels good and there is no damage, give it a whirl.

My buddy still slams a similar Santa Cruz around Northstar without any issues so far.

For me though, I wouldn't push anything like that hard at all.

That makes me smart
    Maybe for the occasional single track, but no way I'd put any trust in that for dh, unless you have superlative insurance.
    "I can almost smell the alcohol oozing from that post."

mtnbkrmike

A global map of winds. Pretty cool.

since 4/10/2009
    Lol, that's not a downhill bike. Maybe it was when it was made, but downhill riding was a LOT different then. It would be fine for a beginner to get started for general trail riding, though.

Be aware, though, that it's going to need a lot of work if indeed it has been sitting for years. New cables, housing, brake pads, suspension service, prob new tires, DEFINITELY new pedals. Anything formerly soft will probably be hard. Anything grippy will no longer be. Lubes may well be gummy.

And of course, none of that matters if the bike doesn't fit. Looks like that frame is a medium. Do you know if that's the size you need? Do you have any idea what size you need? How tall are you?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I am 6ft tall and this is a 17inch frame so it might work. As some of you wrote, I'm also worried about its age. $175 could quickly turn into $1k if most components need to be changed. Whats the oldest dh bike you would be willing to invest now days?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Substorm View Post
    I am 6ft tall and this is a 17inch frame so it might work. As some of you wrote, I'm also worried about its age. $175 could quickly turn into $1k if most components need to be changed. Whats the oldest dh bike you would be willing to invest now days?
    Actually, it'd be too small for you. I rode this size Specialized Stumpjumper FSR for about 11yrs, and I'm 5'8. Most people your height I know are on larges, unless they have short torsos and obscenely long legs. Modern short stem geometries change things up some. But this bike, with what looks like a 120mm stem, is definitely going to be too small.

Downhill bikes have a tendency to get trashed moreso than lots of other bikes. Probably not more than a couple years. But that depends on lots of things. If it was ridden only occasionally on smooth, flowy park trails most of the time, then lifespan is going to be a lot longer than if it was ridden hard on really gnarly, chundery stuff.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    It's not really about age, it's about travel and geometry.

You should look for at least 7 inch travel front/ back, dual crown fork, and 67 degree HTA or slacker. Then, look at maintenance items.

That makes me smart
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Actually, it'd be too small for you. I rode this size Specialized Stumpjumper FSR for about 11yrs, and I'm 5'8. Most people your height I know are on larges, unless they have short torsos and obscenely long legs. Modern short stem geometries change things up some. But this bike, with what looks like a 120mm stem, is definitely going to be too small.

Downhill bikes have a tendency to get trashed moreso than lots of other bikes. Probably not more than a couple years. But that depends on lots of things. If it was ridden only occasionally on smooth, flowy park trails most of the time, then lifespan is going to be a lot longer than if it was ridden hard on really gnarly, chundery stuff.
    Agreed. Too small.
    "I can almost smell the alcohol oozing from that post."

mtnbkrmike

A global map of winds. Pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Thanks for steering me straight. I passed on that specialized and just came home with 2005 Giant AC. The front hydraulic break is missing but overall looks like it hasnt been abused. I know this is more of xc bike but should handle easy dh and for only $25 more i think overall was a safer investement.

mtbr member
    Thanks for steering me straight. I passed on that specialized and just came home with 2005 Giant AC. The front hydraulic break is missing but overall looks like it hasnt been abused. I know this is more of xc bike but should handle easy dh and for only $25 more i think overall was a safer investement.
    Congrats. Probably no need to invest in a longer stem with the Giant, like you would have had to with that Specialized...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    That's about the longest stem I have ever seen

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by MozFat View Post
    That's about the longest stem I have ever seen
    The stem was meant to flex, its how they got away with such little travel back then.

//Also the frame, fork, cranks, rims, seatpost, all made of spring steel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I just found this 98/99 Specialized Ground Control FSR Extreme for $175 CAD. Looks like it's been sitting in a garage for years. Is this ok for a beginner or better to avoid it?
    Rim brakes are awesome for DH. Plus you get a bell to let everyone know to get out of your way when they fade n fail on the first run. 😉

Glad you skipped it. Otherwise, I'd have said to walk the FSR over to a Dumpster, leave it there and DH the Dumpster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayncedar View Post
    Rim brakes are awesome for DH. Plus you get a bell to let everyone know to get out of your way when they fade n fail on the first run. 

Glad you skipped it. Otherwise, I'd have said to walk the FSR over to a Dumpster, leave it there and DH the Dumpster.
    lol @ riding a dumpster

I hope I won't have to do that with the Giant. hehe

> /dev/null 2&>1
    I lol'd too