crazymanaridin
    Jan 2013

going west june - july

Wife and I will be traveling out west this summer, we plan to stop at some MTB areas. Moab, Lake Tahoe, Co, just wondering if reservations for RV camping will be required?
    We would like to wing it and camp in RV parks close to scenic trails.
    Also what are some of the better scenic trials to ride in those areas.
    thanks for any input

slow
    You are going to find a mix of "first-come-first-served" and reservation sites on public land. Many Forest Service sites (especially here in Colorado) are run by concessionaires and require reservations, but there are some that do not. BLM is usually first come, first served. Much of the BLM land has dispersed and self-contained camping, so make sure your RV has bathroom facilities. Around Moab, the BLM has designated sites that have fees, but I don't believe they take reservations. If you want the convenience of a shower, electricity, toilets, pool, etc, there are lots of commercial camp grounds in these areas, and it is usually a good idea to have a reservation to make sure you get a spot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Tahoe camp grounds get filled fast ,onweekdays it is easier to find a place.You should look into doing some rides around Downiville.

mtbr member
    Moab will be hot in june and july. summer
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Moab will be hot in june and july. summer
    Moab area will be blisteringly, brain-fryingly hot in june & july.
    However, there is a nice trail up at Dead Horse Point State Park, as the crow flies not too far from Moab and much higher in elevation.
    Don't forget about great state parks which usually have RV accommodations; there are many in the areas that you are passing through and you can typically make reservations.
    Highline Lake State Park near Fruita is one good example. Lake with swimming area, gorgeous trees for shade with nice grassy sites and the perfect place to base camp for the Fruita area. There is singletrack around the lake.
    Last edited by June Bug; 01-22-2013 at 02:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Are you looking for full hookup style parks, or just somewhere to camp? Moab isn't usually too crowded that time of year due to the heat. At least as far as the BLM campgrounds go. There are only a couple actual RV parks that I know of down there -- no knowledge as to how full they get. Primitive camping up by Warner Lake in the La Sals isn't bad that time of year; elevation cuts down on the heat!

Not sure about Tahoe area. We just arrived and looked for a campsite a few years back in late June, and had very little luck. I suspect that June and July are their busy season in that neck of the woods -- I would get reservations.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

crazymanaridin
    Jan 2013

Thanks for the replys and info

Thanks
    we can go without full hookup, our RV is self contained with generator if needed, which trials would be best if we only stayed 2 days in each area? I know it will be hot in june-july but my plan will be to ride early and be done by 9-10am and then do other sight seeing when its to hot to ride.
    what trails? 2 to 4 hour ride in early morning??
    thanks again for your info

beater
    I recommend starting some homework and doing some reading in the geographic sub-forums. Most of them have 'stickies' near the top of the page answering a lot of the questions you have: what trails, where to camp, etc. I know the UT forum has a pretty good Moab sticky.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.