mtbr member

Going to try out clipless soon, platform or no?

So I'm getting to the point now where I feel like I'm ready to try out some clipless pedals.

I'm basically looking at two pedals and just want the opinions on if I should go for the pair with the extra platform around it or the lighter no platform version.

Shimano PD M530 SLX Trail Clipless Pedal > Components > Pedals | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Shimano PD-M520 Pedals > Components > Pedals | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    It somewhat depends on what type of shoe you'll be using. A very stiff soled racing type shoe, which I find beneficial for comfort and efficiency will work fine with either one whereas a more flexible sole can use the extra support of the caged platform.

I like pie.
    The type with the cage is designed for those who intend to ride unclipped at times. Those times are when you are doing some rather technical stuff and want to be unclipped in case you crash. Planning ahead!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I roll the 540s on all my bikes, including the roadbike. The cage would be nice for distributing pressure more evenly if that's one of the benefits, I'd be totally down with that.

mtbr member

Re: Going to try out clipless soon, platform or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
    The type with the cage is designed for those who intend to ride unclipped at times. Those times are when you are doing some rather technical stuff and want to be unclipped in case you crash. Planning ahead!
    I don't know that I agree with this. Maybe the pedals like mallets but candies? I don't think those are designed to be ridden unclipped. The cage is more for support of a soft bottom shoe as mentioned above.

Posted via mobile

beater

^ Agreed. You don't want to ride on those unclipped. If you have a XC style shoe with a really stiff sole that goes clackity clackity across the floor, you could go with either pedal but if you have a shoe with more of a traditional looking sole, the wider pedal will help support it.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Yea I'm not looking to ride it unclipped like the pedals that have one side clip one side platform. I think that would just frustrate me flipping it around. I'm honestly looking to try clipless on a budget so I'm thinking about one of those sets of pedals and a pair of cheaper or on sale shimano cleats. like Shimano M077 MTB Shoes > Apparel > Shoes and Footwear > Mountain Bike Shoes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

beater

I realize that. Those two-sided pedals are pretty terrible for riding dirt. What TwoNin9r and I meant was the idea of riding those with a foot unclipped for a technical section is setting yourself up for failure. There's nothing to keep your foot in place and stable if you're not clipped.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member

Re: Going to try out clipless soon, platform or no?

Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I realize that. Those two-sided pedals are pretty terrible for riding dirt. What TwoNin9r and I meant was the idea of riding those with a foot unclipped for a technical section is setting yourself up for failure. There's nothing to keep your foot in place and stable if you're not clipped.
    Precisely

Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    Yea I'm not looking to ride it unclipped like the pedals that have one side clip one side platform. I think that would just frustrate me flipping it around. I'm honestly looking to try clipless on a budget so I'm thinking about one of those sets of pedals and a pair of cheaper or on sale shimano cleats. like Shimano M077 MTB Shoes > Apparel > Shoes and Footwear > Mountain Bike Shoes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    With those, you should realistically be fine with a cageless pedal. If weight is not an issue, and you'd prefer to err on the side of caution, grab a set of crank brothers candies.
    You'll hear a lot of negativity about CB as a company, but to be honest, the eggbeater style pedals have been nothing but great to me. Shed mud well, great for beginners because they're easy to get in and out of, and I find that in emergency situations a swift downward kick usually gets me clipped in. Plus I like the float.

Posted via mobile

mtbr member
    Yea I hear ya. I'm not planning on riding unclipped...at least intentionally. I'm mostly wondering if people feel that the cage makes a big difference or not. So far I'm gathering that if you have stiff enough shoes than you really wouldn't need the cage.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I think it's going to boil down to how good your shoes are and how much effort you'll be applying continuously for how long.

With my super cheap Serfas Saddleback and M540s on a 50 mile road bike ride with two 25 mile continuous strong efforts I developed pressure spots on my feet which was not comfortable. With these same pedals and my Northwave Artic Commuter MTB in 21, 28, and 34 mile gravel grinder races on my mtb I was comfy the whole time.

The Serfas was very rigid, but also pretty hard under the feet. The Northwaves had some carbon in the sole and was generally pretty comfy (they are very nice shoes).

I've since bought some Shimano MT33 shoes and they are more comfy than the Serfas Saddlebacks for sure. I do get some slight pressure spot buildup but I still like them better than the Serfas. However given that they are only a 40ish dollar pair of shoes they aren't going to be the best out there. I bought them locally off a guy who ordered the wrong pair as I needed something to wear other than the Northwaves (they were getting too hot, since they are a winter boot) but didn't want to wear the Serfas.

In the end, I think I would prefer the SLX 530 with the cage if it distributes the force better than regular SPDs on my road bike given the nature of continuous power output. SPDs on the mtb I am fine with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I should also note that the trail pedals would be nicer for if u just wanted to pedal down the road real quick or something without having to change shoes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I wouldn't skimp on shoes. IMNSHO more important than pedals.
    I believe Shimano shoes come with their SPD cleats. At least my M087 shoes did.
    Think the pedals did too 'cause I have extra cleats in my bike toolbox.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I love my CB candy and egg beater 3s. If I wanted a budget friendly, beginner friendly Shimano, I'd use m540s.

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk and CM 10.2

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm pretty sure cleats don't come with the shoes - they come with the pedals.

That said, I'm in the same place as the OP - clipping in for the first time on my mountain bike. I work at a shop and the pros there helped with my first shoe/pedal setup. I'm going with Lake shoes (I have really wide feet) and Shimano PD- M785 pedals (same design as the M530s). I will need the cages around the pedal for those times when I unclip and need to get some speed up before clipping in again. I also plan on getting the multi-directional release cleats and keeping the pedal tension faily light until I gain confidence. We'll see how it goes.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNin9r View Post
    Precisely

With those, you should realistically be fine with a cageless pedal. If weight is not an issue, and you'd prefer to err on the side of caution, grab a set of crank brothers candies.
    You'll hear a lot of negativity about CB as a company, but to be honest, the eggbeater style pedals have been nothing but great to me. Shed mud well, great for beginners because they're easy to get in and out of, and I find that in emergency situations a swift downward kick usually gets me clipped in. Plus I like the float.

Posted via mobile
    i 2nd this. I have the candy 1 on my mtb and candy 3 on my road. I just enjoy the ease of one shoe system and the float feels nice. These were my first clipless pedals and they are very ez to get in and out of. There's just enough cage around to give good support.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” Dr Seuss....

mtbr member

I recently made the switch back to clip less from platforms after a few years off riding and 2 knee surgeries myself. I use and recommend the SLX trails with the cage. The cage makes it easier to orient the pedal to get clipped in, compared to the race style pedal. You can feel a small amount of contact here and there with the shimano mt33 shoes. If I come Unclipped during a climb or something the cage still adds some surface area to put my foot on. It's not like riding a platform in any way but it will work in a pinch.
    I don't always listen to slayer, but when I do so do the neighbors.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Also, once you get everything spend some time on the road/urban getting used to clipping in and out. There will be times where you will forget, use your butt to catch yourself.

It will also take some time to develop the muscle memory to get out of the pedals so it will be harder at first.

mtbr member

I got the m530 pedals along with shimano m088 (I think) shoes and so far I like them. I'm very new to the clipless game and figured the cage would help me find the clip easier.

I adjusted mine to the least amount of tension possible until I get comfortable with them. Adjustable tension is the main reason I went with shimano pedals.

mtbr member
    Think the members here covered everything pretty well. I'll add that you need to give it enough time to get used to. Clipping in and out can take some time as well as the float feeling at first has you feeling like you're coming off the pedal but you're not.
    That and consider that a pedals texture, pins and size will interact with your shoes soles/tread and will vary that float feeling, ease of clipping in and out, and ability to ride unclipped.
    Round and round we go