mtbr member

Going to Death Valley?

We just returned from a trip to Death Valley National Park (with only boots, no bikes, regretted). Two places made me wish that I had my bike.

The Titus Canyon Road, 27 miles of desert scrub, then canyon, ending in the marble narrows and the Scotty's Castle Road. The soil is damp and solid the entire way, no deep gravel and sand like in warmer times. I would drive to the second saddle and ride down the canyon to the Valley. I usually have the significant other drive while I careen down long hills. This is my new "Best Drive in the USA" and it would ride really well right now.

The old mining roads off the Greenwater road are primo - damp, solid and lacking that deep loose sand. The roads are like swooping buff double single track. Try riding the Gold Valley Road and the roads to the old abandoned mine towns of Greenwater and Furnace.

Death Valley is rarely good for biking due to loose soils on the roads. Right now, the backcountry roads are primo. By the way, it snowed at Mesquite Springs (El = 500") the last night and the drive out the north road over the Inyo mountains was incredible. 75 miles of driving and we saw one other vehicle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Man that sounds fun wish i had the money to go out there

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Going to Death Valley?

I'm going in a few months. Hoping the flowers will be out. Was it dry as bone in the lower elevation? I'm hoping for a wet winter out there.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    By the way, it snowed at Mesquite Springs (El = 500") the last night and the drive out the north road over the Inyo mountains was incredible.
    Back in the early 1990s I’d gone camping in Death Valley a few years in a row with a buddy of mine. Two years in a row it snowed in Mesquite Springs.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    We just returned from a trip to Death Valley National Park (with only boots, no bikes, regretted).

75 miles of driving and we saw one other vehicle.
    I just back from the park too and "Man that was Cool".

Nobody on the road - I thought another 911 happened or something it was so quite! I might have been the one that passed you - grin.....

Panamint Summit

Ya - that is my dirt road beater - I have replaced the oil pan and some suspension parts a couple of times due to rocks. I really like the room (two can sleep in back very nicely) and sliding side doors for hanging out…

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    That looks beautiful....and dry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    That looks beautiful....and dry.
    Rained good. There was standing water in a lot of places.

I live on 395 and travel thru the park when ever I go to LV or further south to AZ. Historically the best time for flowers is March / April.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dead_dog_canyon View Post
    Rained good. There was standing water in a lot of places.

I live on 395 and travel thru the park when ever I go to LV or further south to AZ. Historically the best time for flowers is March / April.
    Thanks for your reply. I've got two weekends booked in March and trying to decide whether to come early March or mid March. Looks like maybe mid March.

It's beautiful in the desert. Glad you get the chance to live/drive around there.

mtbr member
    I'll be there March 10/11. First I'm going to jeep Titus. Then (next visit) I'm going to ride it.

mtbr member
    We drove titus. Not in a jeep like the other few folks we saw, but in a pickup truck with a 4 wheel poptop camper on it. There were no difficult places. We did use 4 low on the steep long downhill switchbacks.

It was the best 27 miles I've ever driven above the lassen park road, big sur, highway 395, the monitor pass, etc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perrobravo View Post
    Amazing! I can't wait to do this. Thanks for sharing.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Has anybody driven from Sequoia to Death Valley? The route looks a little indirect with an estimated time of 6 hours via Bakersfield?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I haven't done Sequoia to Death Valley that way. I have done Yosemite to Death Valley
    that way because all of the passes were snowed in. It is a round about way to get there
    but a fun drive. I use to live out that way, so it was a fun time seeing things I haven't
    seen in a very long time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Has anybody driven from Sequoia to Death Valley? The route looks a little indirect with an estimated time of 6 hours via Bakersfield?
    Where are you starting? Bay Area?

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Yes. Going to Sequoia first and then to Death Valley and then back to the Bay Area. Mid March.

p.s. Thank you everybody for indulging me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    girlonbike,

"Thank you everybody for indulging me..."

Indulging you?
    It’s a pleasure! I think this is what life is all about. You are not going to remember what happened at work two years from now but you will remember your trip to Sequoia / DV for the rest of your life…...

Yes - You will like the trip over. Lake Isabella is a cool area.

I would like to recommend you go back by heading north on 395 and take 88 over to Stockton or 88 - 89 - 50 to Sac. The east side of the Sierra is very cool this time of year. It is unlikely any of the passes south of 88 will be open in March.

Oh ya - another very cool way to get to 395 is to go into the Saline Valley (dirt road) - west side of the park, camp at the hot springs and then continue north to 168 down to Big Pine. Fantastic area plus sometimes the fly boys out of Edwards / China Lake buzz the hot springs at almost stall speed and only 500' AGL. VERY COOL –> the valley and the air show.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Going to Death Valley?

That actually happened to me the last time I went through. Scared the bejesus out of me! I don't remember how I went though so thanks!

I love lake Isabella. Such great riding at Keyesville. I was wondering if I would drive by it.
    Last edited by girlonbike; 02-12-2013 at 10:50 PM.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thinking about looping Titus Canyon using Daylight Pass Rd. late next week. Would be great to have a riding partner!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Loved this ride! This is a great ride if you like climbing... park at the small picnic area near the base of the Daylight Pass Road, and leave a stash of 1 gallon per person at the intersection of the Titus Canyon road off of the pavement... it's a total of 7700 feet of climbing and 61 miles, remote and committing as a solo, but well worth it!