• 10-14-2006
    bikerboy
    God I hate college towns..
    I guess this is only related to bikes in that I rode mine tonight...

You see, the girlfriend was off at a bachelorette party, so I was sitting at home deciding what to do. I decided to spin on down to the little cheapo movie theater downtown. At 9:30 when I arrived, all was well. After the movie let out at 11:30, it was quite a different story.

This is what I hate about living in a town of 40,000 that has a university with an enrollment of 27,000. Many of the students tend to overrun the streets, especially since downtown is right next to campus. I am a student too, but I get really annoyed by drunken frat boys and sorority whores yelling, screaming, breaking glass on the street, and driving like jackasses.

This is when I realize that my little blinkie rear LED and headlight might not be enough to alert the possibly tipsy cell phone blabbing morons of my existance. It really irks me because I shouldn't have to fear for my life just because I decided to park the truck at home and skip the hassle of driving to catch a flick.

I know I am ranting, but I need to do it. I wish people had better things to do than getting hammered and trying to score. I believe social networking is a great thing, but god there are better things to do. I think it would be awesome if there were a weekly "Street Lamp Campus Cruise" or something along those lines. Anyway, just wanted to let this off my chest.
  • 10-14-2006
    D-Sims
    exactly why i hate going to oxford home of ole miss. i dont live there but theres two bike shops both run by preppie college jerkoffs. it has the closest theater around.
  • 10-14-2006
    ArmySlowRdr
    I agree with you on the getting hammered thing; guess it gets people inhibitions down tho to do well at the scoring thing.

I like Austin.
  • 10-15-2006
    J-mizzle
    Hmmm.....
    What would I do If I wasn't hammered 4 nights of the week and chasing sorority whores.
    Maybe have straight A's, dunno. B's are good enough.
    20 hours into linguistics within the last 2 days. Plus full time work.

I, as a biker empathize with your situation.
    As far as night riding on the street, I don't touch it.
    I think your asking to be run down by someone with one to many beers, or some biatch on the celly and doing her makeup.
    Sounds like your realizing it has the possiblilty of shortening your life span.

Sounds like you don't drink but,
    A pub to pub ride would be cool.

I apologize on the behaf of my ilk.
    And
    believe it or not there really isn't anything better to do and this time period may come to contain the highlights of my life. For myself I find that riding and drinking go hand in hand with releiving the stresses of school, work, life etc.

How to justify drinking and chasing whores? Easy...
    How to justify Drinking and Driving? No Excuse it kills.

John
  • 10-15-2006
    bwolmarans
    or strike out. either way its a GREAT excuse

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    I agree with you on the getting hammered thing; guess it gets people inhibitions down tho to do well at the scoring thing.

I like Austin.

• 10-15-2006
    bitflogger
    I'll take the scenery and atmosphere created 50,000 university students and a few thousand tech college students any trouble they cause by our main home over the drunken redneck and church going drivers by our cottage or my mother's home.

1/2 naked college students crossing an intersection is more attractive than pickup trucks, sedans and fat people on Harleys. The university is also a warped version of welfare. The students, grants, faculty and related bring and keep a lot of money in the area.
  • 10-15-2006
    bikerboy
    Quote:

I like Austin.

Austin is nice because you have only about twice as many students, but 20-25 times to populations, so its a bit more peaceful in that regard. I am counting the days until I am able to move back to Austin. San Marcos has rubbed me the wrong way.
  • 10-15-2006
    KONA_in_SB
    I live in a university community and love it. Of cours to university has its own "undergrad ghetto" but is not in the middle of town. So when I feel like it a can get on my bike, cruise on over to party rowe, get my buzz on, and just watch all the drunken undergrads act cool and emulate everything MTV.
    I go to the university but I am a 5th year grad student, married and I'll be 30 next week (man I am getting old), so each school year that goes by I have a harder and harder time disguising myself as party animal undergrad, now I am the creepy old dude on a bike that tries to crash the party.
    But all in all the college town seen is the best in my opinion. We have lighted bike paths everywhere, great 24 hr burritos places, and cheap happy hours. I can ride from my house to downtown Santa Barbara (where the yuppies party), 13 miles away, almost entirely on dedicated bike paths or very large bike lanes.
    But like I said all the drunken idiots mainly stick the their 10 square block ghetto that I don't have to pass through, unless I want to ;), so I don't feel too endangered.
  • 10-15-2006
    SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    man it isn't that bad.....just that one section by the colledge (spelling sucks) Guadlajuare St ?????).....you know it is there so why don't you go somewhere else (rougher neighborhoods though)
  • 10-15-2006
    ArmySlowRdr
    charlottesville
    charlottesville is another great college town with a vibrant biking scene. they have their own wlanut creek and also panorama farm trail system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerboy
    Austin is nice because you have only about twice as many students, but 20-25 times to populations, so its a bit more peaceful in that regard. I am counting the days until I am able to move back to Austin. San Marcos has rubbed me the wrong way.

• 10-15-2006
    ZoSoSwiM
    Here where I go to school (potsdam, NY) the town doubles in size when college in is session. I have to deal with the idiot drunks all the time and I get sick of it too. I guess if they want to waste their lives and fail out of school thats one less person I need to give a damn about.

I just hate it when they taunt me when I ride by on a bike. I actually had a group or 6 guys or so jump at me when I was riding down a hill last year. Just about caused me to loose it and I'm pretty sure I would have been hurt.
  • 10-15-2006
    Guppie58
    Quote:

I am a student too, but I get really annoyed by drunken frat boys and sorority whores yelling, screaming, breaking glass on the street, and driving like jackasses.
    Wow, Nice generalization. What if somebody said all mountain bikers are a$$holes and should be banned from trails just because one or two mountain bikers chased down some horse riders or created bandit trails. According to you, it would be fair to say all mountain bikers fit into that category.

I'm not sure which college you live by, but it must be a strange college where only 'frat boys' and 'sorority whores' get drunk, yelling, screaming and driving stupid.

My suggestion is that you either find a new college or find a new town. I would also suggest you grow up a little and think before you type such ignorant statements.
  • 10-15-2006
    Anonymous
    Quote:

Originally Posted by J-mizzle
    How to justify drinking and chasing whores? Easy...

If I didn't, my only past time would be riding a bike. :D
  • 10-15-2006
    keeb
    I have spent all but one year of my life in college towns, and I can say, without feeling the least bit a prejudger, that I too cannot stand the drunken frat boys and sorostitutes and the idiocy they display on most weekends. These overprivileged snots are the most inconsiderate group of people I've ever dealt with...and to think THEY are supposed to belong to the "upper class".

That is not to say that only frat pricks and easy sorority girls get drunk and annoying...and so as not to generalize; I can also say that I hate all the other people that can't seem to get drunk without also becoming loud, obnoxious retards.
  • 10-15-2006
    Guppie58
    Quote:

I have spent all but one year of my life in college towns, and I can say, without feeling the least bit a prejudger, that I too cannot stand the drunken frat boys and sorostitutes and the idiocy they display on most weekends. These overprivileged snots are the most inconsiderate group of people I've ever dealt with...and to think THEY are supposed to belong to the "upper class".
    :lol: :out:

Upper class???? :lol: Your an idiot.

I'll let you guess get back to your little fantasy land. :yawn:
  • 10-15-2006
    iCrashed
    Try riding in nyc w/ the cabbies.
  • 10-15-2006
    keeb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppie58
    :lol: :out:

:lol: Your an idiot.

...that statement followed by some meaningless dyslexic babble.
    Quote:

I'll let you guess get back to your little fantasy land. :yawn:

So, yuppie58, what "brotherhood" do you belong to?
  • 10-15-2006
    keeb
    Quote:

FRATERNITY ACCUSED OF DRUGGING COEDS CSU'S LAMBDA CHI ALPHA FACES COMPLAINTS WOMEN UNKNOWINGLY RECEIVED `DATE RAPE' COCKTAILS -Rocky Mountain News
    Quote:

The president of Rutgers University yesterday called for the permanent closure of a fraternity after the death of a student who had attended a pledge party where hard liquor was served. Although the student's death has not been directly linked to the party, President Edward J. Bloustein said in a statement that he had directed top administrators to begin steps aimed at revoking school recognition of the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity and disciplining the students involved -Philadelphia Inquirer
    Quote:

"Lambda Chi Alpha had its recognition withdrawn by their international headquarters because they determined that the chapter had been operating below the required standards of the international organization," said Dean of Students David Ruth. "The chapter was placed on interim suspension based on allegations of hazing, not because of a 'fairly major drug incident.'" -The Triangle Online
    ...maybe I spoke too soon. These people sound like fine upstanding citizens. The kind anyone would love to have as neighbors.
  • 10-15-2006
    J-mizzle
    Keeb...
    Wake up man!:eekster:

How about looking up all of the Good things they do as well. The local Lamda Chi here raisies tons of money for local charities. There's radical people everywhere man.

I'm sorry that you've never expereinced the great things that can do.

There are degenerates in every walk, form, and facet of life.
    Wake Up.

BTW i'm not in one,

Mizz
  • 10-15-2006
    jeffj
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KONA_in_SB
    " great 24 hr burritos places".

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............ Freebirds!:thumbsup:
  • 10-15-2006
    chequamagon
    well i remember college in a small town.

for me it went like this: go get drunk, ride bike around drunk, look at shopping carts, decide it would be a good idea to steal a shopping cart and tow it around town behind my bike. Cops catch me, cite with "removal or property"

Damn. So Im a gonna get my $160 worth for that citation, this time I go get drunk and I am damn determined to steal and keep a shopping cart. This time I talk my friend into tying the cart to his bike, and we come up with a plan if we see the cops. Riding back, we see the cops (doh) and I sprint through one yard, and he goes the other way. Cops follow him through the yard and catch him. damn, he gets a $160 ticket too.

well shot sh!t, this just sucked. so i really need to get a shopping cart to get our money's worth. go get drunk again, get on the bike, go the grocery, hitch up that cart, and ride like hell back home. Find out that carts tip over when cornering at high speed, and when tied to the back of a surly crosscheck, the surly stops fast too. fock. get back up and ride the rest of the way home, fast, looking out for cops.

two weeks later, grab a few beers and head to the dump. found a nice BMX frame and some other assorted bike parts. take em home, grab a few more beers and the wire-feed arc welder. weld the BMX frame to the back of the cart, so the cart replaces the front wheel and handlebar of the bmx bike. pretty damn cool and only burned myself once.

another week later, drink a 12 case of leinenkugels starting at 8 am, and go down to the homecoming parade with my contraption. got another drunk buddy riding in the card, me pedaling. we manage to make it part way through the parade and the rear wheel collapses. damn dump. tie the cart to the back of the truck in front of us (a friends float) and have it drag us the rest of the way through the parade. what smells like its burning? we get through and at the end, there are cops directing traffic. well holy f if it aint that cop that gave me a ticket. well here i am drunk with a cart, so i am sure he had it figured out. he just looks though, didnt ask us to stop, so i motion to the driver to drive all the way home, and i will stay in tow. not too far after, the rear wheel that wasnt spinning was burning. like fire with flames burning. so i abandon ship, as does my front basket friend. but the truck doesnt stop for another two blocks. by this time the whole rear wheel is completely on fire. so when the truck stops, we abandon the car by severing the line, and completely forget about the cart forever. left it there to burn. never did see that cart again.

so, the reason for the story is that even within cyclists, college kids will do some stupid stuff when drunk. we were all stupid once. i do see your point though, i am in grad school now, and cringe when i see this stuff, and would never dream of doing it again, but it was fun to be 22 and drunk with a bike
  • 10-16-2006
    Chiro75
    So move out to the country.
  • 10-16-2006
    ickyickyptngzutboing
    Quote:

charlottesville is another great college town with a vibrant biking scene. they have their own wlanut creek and also panorama farm trail system.

I definitely agree with ArmySlowRdr--I currently attend UVA and am finishing up my 4th year--the biking has been pretty good these past few years. Walnut Creek, O-Hill trails, Rivanna Trail (around the city), and countless other places that are being opened up by CAMBC (local mountain biking club). But, Panarama has closed to all mountain bikers within the past 6 months. I don't take part in the road rides, but they're even more abundant than the mountain biking here.

Overall, I can't complain, and I saw that someone mentioned a 24 hour burrito joint. Charlottesville has quite a few 24 hour dining options, which is awesome. Going home sucks, everything at that place shuts down after 9pm. Oh, and C'ville just got a Jimmy John's. Good god, they're awesome, and I think it's pretty funny how the delivery people really do run to your front door...

But, college towns ARE college towns--if you don't like it, then I'd suggest finding some other place to live. Not trying to be harsh, but what do you expect? I lived it up my first two years here, I was one of those drunken frat boys stumbling through the streets (and creating 'angels' in the mulch...)
  • 10-16-2006
    Drewdane
    Quote:

Originally Posted by J-mizzle
    How about looking up all of the Good things they do as well. The local Lamda Chi here raisies tons of money for local charities. There's radical people everywhere man.

Yeah, I remember the frats at my college trotting that out every time they needed a little CYA after the latest rape/assault/vandalism/etc. :rolleyes:
  • 10-16-2006
    ArmySlowRdr
    that's too bad..
    a shame; Panarama seemed like a nice place. Do you know why? But I did a race at Walnut and it was a blast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ickyickyptngzutboing
    I. But, Panarama has closed to all mountain bikers within the past 6 months. ..