Fat-tired Roadie

Go ride in an event

Something I was looking forward to this weekend just got canceled.

I hadn't even really been planning to do it until I found myself in the series points. Now I'm pretty disappointed. I guess I won, but it's kind of an "ashes in my mouth" victory when it's because not enough people are showing up in my category or the calendar gets cut short.

So if you haven't tried riding in any of the events in your area, go sign up. You might have fun! And if you've been thinking you're not ready yet for whatever your aspirational thing is, go and give it a shot. Nobody's ever ready the first time, you have to have a few under your belt. And if you wait too long to be whatever "ready" means to you, there may be nothing to be ready for.

Doesn't have to be XC or even competitive. Just go to something that someone's trying to put on for your local community.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Hell Track
    I'm considering doing the Julian Death March in San Diego in October. Never registered for any events but it sounds fun and will give me a reason to ride outside my normal stomping grounds. Bring on the Climb, 6500 ft. i believe

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I'm 56 and never raced before although I've been an avid mtbr since 87. Last winter I was asked to join a 4 man team to compete in the loca 12 hour race. It was a lot of fun and I will probably do it again next year. Next up is the local Enduro race in Sep, which is more my style. I'm encouraging all my friends since this is our normal riding style anyway. Great fun and a good turnout by the local riders here.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    There's an event next month that I'm considering signing up for. I know I'm in the "just trying to finish" category, but I'm kinda scared to fail at that. Nevertheless, I'm gonna give it a shot. Like they say "Dead-last finish is better than did not finish, which greatly trumps did not start.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Like Jens says, if you go in the breakaway, you probably won't win. But if you don't go in the breakaway, you definitely won't win. Supported events are a great time to stretch oneself.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    .. And if you wait too long to be whatever "ready" means to you, there may be nothing to be ready for....
    Kudos for what qualifies as a "Passion" post, IMO.

Yes, just thinking about it or training "as if" is not anywhere close to actually paying your entry fee and lining up handlebar to handlebar with a bunch of other riders. The hair on your neck will stand up - no matter how many races you've done. If you want to get your feet wet a little bit, volunteer as a course marshall.
    I did a MTB time trial with experts once, just because. I finished DFL. If I'd raced sport I'd have been on the podium. Didn't matter. It's a great feeling!
    btw - my best races were when I rode like it was just another day. No thinking. Just riding, and pushing hard.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Fat-tired Roadie

Re: Go ride in an event

I find I go faster when I race. I don't grow big wings. But I definitely find a little extra.

I've been thinking about this lately because as one of my teammates put it, XC during the summer in my region is on life support. But when I was picking up my bike from the shop the other day, a girl was picking up a road bike she planned to ride for the first time in a triathlon the next day. My immediate thought was, "This is what's wrong with triathletes." Then I thought that actually, this is something that's really right about triathlon - for whatever reason, they've created a sense that it's okay to be marginally prepared and show up and give it a shot.

I had no idea what I was getting into the first time I pinned a number on. I don't think most people who compete did. But, that's why there's a Beginners' class. People's first Centuries are often fiascos. Etc. But if it's going to stick, we do it again anyway, and start to figure it out.

I think there's a little too much discussion of "do this" and "do that" to be prepared. Enough of that, and a lot of folks are going to say "f' this" instead. It's the wrong message. And it's late summer - none of us are getting much fitter this year. We're all about as prepared as we're going to be. So now's the time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Started mountain biking at age 65 last year, and this year, I've signed up for two events. One is a major 40 mile mtb event, and the other is a local 50 mile gravel event. My goals are very modest (don't die), and I'm really looking forward to them. A little bit nervous, but getting lots of support from friends.