Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GMC Topkick

mtbr member

GMC Topkick

Didn't know where to post this, maybe we need a comedy section. I just got a kick out of the description of this "high end" bike...
    A little about the GMC Topkick Mountain Bike

GMC Topkick Mountain Bike

The GMC Topkick 21-Speed Mountain Bike is one of the most technically advanced bikes to enter the market. The bike is used by professional cyclers who often do mountain biking. The bike has a very strong aluminum frame and suspension that does not give jerks even when the bike passes over potholes. The wheels are also made of aluminum and they feature a V shape rim profile. The GMC topkick Mountain Bike has disc brakes for sudden braking in adverse road conditions. After all any bike that is used in the mountains should have disc brakes to minimize the risks to life. The looks are rugged giving the bike a very strong personality.

The bike has gears as well for steep climbs and you can change the gears at will. The Topkick bike is sued by riders for all purposes other than mountain biking. The bike has been given an aerodynamic shape to reduce wind resistance. There is a presence of the rear suspension fork also. The bike is very much versatile as its tires can be changed quickly in case the tires get worn out or punctured.

Hence we see that the GMB Topkick bike is a high end bike that is used by professional racers and bikers. Some use the bike for passion while others use the bike for professional reasons such as racing. The frame and the other components of the bike are light weight so that the overall weight of the bike is not very heavy to ride. However, as mentioned before, the bike itself is very tough with an advanced rear and front suspension technology.

For extra height for the rider, the bike has a good three to five inches for clearance. The GM Topkick bike has also been designed for women racers who feel very comfortable even while they are riding the bike in the mountains. However bikes for women are specially designed with a shorter torso and longer legs than those provided for men. However the stem height and the saddle can be adjusted according to the comfort required by different people for driving.
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    "you can change the gears at will"

I can change gears when I want to? I must have it!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Just what i need for steep urban pothole gnar downhill

mtbr member
    Why, Oh why did I buy a Blur? I should have got this instead.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    "The Topkick bike is sued by riders for all purposes other than mountain biking"

They should be sued for this redunculis marketing crap.

pedal pusher
    I know we can't see the rear shock up close, but I've seen those in person before. It's actually a coil spring with a plastic shroud over it, in a weak attempt to make it appear as an air shock.

That's some pretty advanced rear suspension forks!

mtbr member
    someone at my college has one, and i see it around campus from time to time, i always take a 2nd glance after my first quick one because i see disks, then i am dissapointed...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    "The bike is very much versatile as its tires can be changed quickly in case the tires get worn out or punctured. "

That has got to be the most bold statement in that whole description. I would be amazed to see that bike last long enough to wear through a set of tires.
    Get on your bikes and ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    "does not give jerks" well forget it then.

mtbr member
    I remember on an episode of cops years ago they had a Mercedez Ben bicycle that they used for a bait bike. Said it was a $30k bicycle. I doubt that but who knows.

I pray to God/Allah/Darwin/whomever that this is not the same GMC that belongs to GM who is hurting badly. And please tell me it's not UAW made.
    Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
    P. J. O'Rourke

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I actually have one of this!

In 3 months I worn out the rear derailleur, which bent into the wheel and took a couple of spokes with it. The front derailleur was a ***** to tune and had died on me too (pivot getting loose). The pedaling efficiency (comparing to my Rockhopper) is just horrible and this thing is heavy at 38lb stock. The rear suspension is a joke and the 650lb spring does nothing but being there as a structural support. The front fork while bad but at least it smooth out the trail a little and is working just fine. I cracked the shifter (in a crash) and bent the derailleur hanger recently. I still waiting for my hanger in the mail.

I have since change out the wheelset (sun rims), front/rear derailleur (Alivio), shifter (Alivio), brake lever, cassette (SRAM), chain and cabling. The weight is about 35lb and handling/performance has improve quite a bit with these parts.

So you ask me why bother to upgrade? As opposed to popular believe, this bike actually performs just fine on the trail (mostly fire roads at Lake Chabot). It is a ***** to go uphill but my leg is really strong now LOL and I my abs actually more define. The frame is heavy but strong enough for regular XC. The weld is not horrible either. I use this bike to help me lose weight and cardio. I also use it to commute so I will be keeping it for a while. If I really want to go fast, I'll hop on to my Rockhopper.

However, I am grateful that it gets me started on this amazing sport. It is not a real mountain bike but for $250, it is good enough for a curious mind to get started. We all have to start somewhere, don't we?

Token Hillbilly
    Damn! That thing even has a kickstand!! I've got two Fisher's and two Trek's and none of them have one!
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Fragera
    Damn! That thing even has a kickstand!! I've got two Fisher's and two Trek's and none of them have one!
    Every curb, parking block and bench is my kickstand.

"The GMC Topkick 21-Speed Mountain Bike is..."
    "Hence we see that the GMB Topkick bike is..."

GMB or GMC? They can't even make up their own minds.

re member
    In that picture, it looks like it has front rim brakes as well as a disk.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker
    In that picture, it looks like it has front rim brakes as well as a disk.
    Having both really helps "minimize the risk to life"
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

re member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaLD
    Having both really helps "minimize the risk to life"
    ROR
    Last edited by net wurker; 02-13-2009 at 01:22 PM.

rides with camera
    My wife calls me a snob when I laugh and make fun of these bikes , but It pisses me off because there are "uninformed" people who buy them thinking they want to start biking , but the bike is such a piece of sh$t it ruins the whole experience and they go quit and go back to tv or video games .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

pedal pusher
    My favorite response from people who hear I have a $100 seatpost (back when I did) is, "I could buy a whole bike for $100!!"

Well, I suppose you could...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Wasn't expecting a bike thread... GMC Topkick:

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Does this bike have an "all-mountian" kick stand?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You know I hate to "bandwagon" but honestly, between that picture and description, it's a borderline joke.

Plastic pedals, a fork that looks circa 1993, both rim brakes and a disc up front, a rear coil-over with a plastic shroud. Run don't walk away from this wreck!
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by f3rg
    My favorite response from people who hear I have a $100 seatpost (back when I did) is, "I could buy a whole bike for $100!!"

Well, I suppose you could...
    I live on the border of Suburbia and Country. And on the border of Suburbia and Country you get rich rednecks or people who wish they were rednecks. They'll claim they are down home rednecks while driving a $50k Chevy with $10k in lifts, with a $5k stereo system blasting Kanye West. Oh yeah a $50 Browning sticker on the back along with their vintage looking John Deere hat despite they've never even stepped foot on a John Deere except their powerwheels.

My mountain bike cost $700 and my road bike (Trek Discovery edition) was probably $900 new and I paid $400 for it used. Which is pathetic in the cycling world. When I mention that this is the response I always always always get. "For $700/$400 it better have a motor".
    Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
    P. J. O'Rourke

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by spazzy
    someone at my college has one, and i see it around campus from time to time, i always take a 2nd glance after my first quick one because i see disks, then i am dissapointed...
    I do that sometimes as well.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    I saw one of those things a week or so ago. One of those WTF moments of "did it really say GMC?" But then the rider looked like he was having fun so.....

But then: "GMB Topkick bike is a high end bike that is used by professional racers and bikers. "
    I want to know who got paid to ride (let alone race ) this thing.
    Don't harsh my mello

Fueled by meat n potatoes
    Mar 2008
    I must have one, two if they will let me.
    Moosen! I saw a flock of MOOSEN! There were many of ‘em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods…in the wood-es…in the woodsen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast