Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Glueless patches?

820 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Andy © 
#1 ·
Just wondered if anyone uses these and how effective they are.The reason i ask,I was fixing a flat today and busted a tube of glue all over my hands.This stuff hangs around for awhile making life miserable,nice grip on my bars though.

#3 ·
I use them and have a very low occurance of failure. I run my tires at a higher pressure, so I am not sure if this contributes to the non-problems. My buddy who runs his tires a little lower, does not like them.

#4 ·
they suck!

rema tip-top or velox are the only patch kits worth a damn in my book. i've seen more glueless patches fail than i'd care to count. actually, if you want to get technical it's not glue at all, but rather vulcanising compound. there's a reason for it...

-eric

#5 ·
No problems with me

got two pinch flats last year in the field, used the generic patches that came with my pump, glueless, no problems and tubes still fully functional today.
Even if the glueless patch got you out of the woods and no more, I think it is better than carrying glue around and risking what happened to the original post of having a mess.

#6 ·
I think they work

I've gone through a pack of glueless patches in the past 2 years, including patching a thorn hole in my road bike front tire.

Sometimes they hold air forever, sometimes they don't. But they will easily last long enough to get you through your ride, and they are lot easier, faster and cleaner than "glue" patches. I've never had one "fail" outright by coming off or cracking or breaking. I think the main reason they don't hold air as well as glue patches, is that the fluid "glue" fills the scuff marks that you need to make on the tube with the sandpaper to give it some "tooth". But the glueless patches can't fill those voids quite as well.

#8 ·
Rema TipTop patch kit

Given the critical importance of a reliable patch kit in the backcounty and the major bummer of having run out of spare tubes only to discover your patches don't work, Rema TipTop is the ONLY patch kit I will ever consider carrying. They're that good. I have zero faith it glueless patches, having tried them numerous times, with numerous failures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.