mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Giant Parts Dept. Woes

So I am trying to build an Anthem 29er and I've had to get some parts for the frame from Giant. I've been working through my LBS. They initially told me that Giant is very prompt and it should just be a few days. It's been over two weeks! and I just got a call from the LBS today saying Giant left some parts out of the order that finally came in yesterday.

The LBS keeps blaming Giant, but I feel like they may be dropping the ball. When I spoke with them yesterday they said that they had everything except the BB which was supposed to come in today. The BB should be really easy to get and probably doesn't need to come from Giant (I could have gotten it from Jenson and had it the next day), so they should have had that a long time ago.

What is the experience that others have had with Giant? Once I get the parts, should I start using another LBS?

Thanks in advance for your comments/experiences.

mtbr member
    I had super slow service getting Giant parts ordered at lbs, i cancelled and went to a Giant shop, much quicker, no probs. Check their website for local Giant places.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The place I ordered from IS the local Giant dealer. So annoyed. Weather is beautiful, days are long, and I don't have a bike to ride.

The White Jeff W
    I dont have any experience with Giant service but Id suggest a cheap craigslist bike for a backup
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Giant has east and west coast distribution centers. Depending on what our shop needs, and where it's located (and it's order status) we can wait 1 day, or 2-3 weeks.

It is possible, though unlikely, that the shop you went to only orders parts through Giant, in an attempt to keep down the number of accounts they have to keep active/pay off. If that's unacceptable to you, you should probably try talking with them first. If you don't talk with the person who places orders, you are wasting your time.

Another thing to keep in mind: mistakes happen; though fairly infrequent, we've gotten wrong parts/supplies from distributors. You might just be unlucky number 13, so to speak.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Giant has east and west coast distribution centers. Depending on what our shop needs, and where it's located (and it's order status) we can wait 1 day, or 2-3 weeks.

It is possible, though unlikely, that the shop you went to only orders parts through Giant, in an attempt to keep down the number of accounts they have to keep active/pay off. If that's unacceptable to you, you should probably try talking with them first. If you don't talk with the person who places orders, you are wasting your time.

Another thing to keep in mind: mistakes happen; though fairly infrequent, we've gotten wrong parts/supplies from distributors. You might just be unlucky number 13, so to speak.

Fair enough. They're claiming that everything should be here Monday. So, hopefully I'll get it back Monday night so I can finish the build and try to get a short ride in on Tuesday.

mtbr member
    Local Giant dealer or actual Giant shop? Do they sell non-giant bikes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign2Rider View Post
    Local Giant dealer or actual Giant shop? Do they sell non-giant bikes?
    They do sell other bikes. When I went on Giant's website to locate a dealer, this is the shop that came up. So I don't know if that makes them a Giant store or a local dealer.