Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    RideDirt

GIANT bikes moving to only 650 ? Feelings ? Thoughts ?

How do you guys feel about this topic ?

650B For Giant's 2014 Elite-Level Mountain Bikes - Pinkbike

I personally feel like 26 and 29 is all thats needed . If the 27.5 is ONLY a lil better then 26 and not as good as a 29 , whats the point ? Just seems like more sales and marketing BS as usual . Either you learn how to ride or dont ride at all . I feel like if they take 26ers out they will lose a lot of customers . I find it amusing how a company is going to dictate and tell people WHAT needs to be ridden .

26er has its place
    29er has its place
    27.5 = Marketing BS and just another way to sell " something " else .

I have a DH bike that is 26 and im not looking to upgrade as it works fine for me , im happy with it, and it does what i need it to do. I was looking into actually buying a 29er for my off season to stay in shape to climb long hills with on XC trails and i thought i would add a Giant 29er in my steed but not after some bullshit move like this .

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    I expected it. I figured most companies would adopt the same idea, and make the 27.5er the new standard, and force us to ride that wheel size.

I'm a smaller (5"8") rider, and never liked or needed anything other than the 26er. I'm sure if I was 6'+, I could appreciate a wheel size more appropriate to my frame size. I already use a negative rise stem, and flat bars on my ride, and would hate to fit a frame with even larger wheels.

OTB Pro

RE: GIANT bikes moving to only 650 ? Feelings ? Thoughts ?

I have a feeling almost every company is going to be doing this before long. I dont really see the big deal. Ill be riding a 27.5 or 29er within the next few years as it seems that 26 is dead.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I figured there will be 3 wheel sizes from here on out. I don't think it's necessary to have that much selection, but it seems unlikely to go away since there are minor benefits to small changes in wheel diameter.

I'm surprised it's not more common to choose wheel size that correlates with frame size. I can imagine a line up where the small is 26", the medium is 27.5" and the bigger ones are 29". Regardless, I ride a small 29+ krampus.

Giant has 650b and Specialized spurns it. As long as the popularity of mountain biking doesn't decline, there should be enough volume to keep prices low despite having to produce a wider range of parts. So much variability is probably toughest on bike shops, since it's expensive and risky to stock so much.

AZ
    banned
    As Giant goes so goes the industry. It makes perfect sense from a business point of view, carry one third of the inventory to serve 98% of the market.

I guess I'll have to start hoarding 29er tires now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hmm, just picked up a 2014 Anthem X 29ER 1 this weekend. I had read lots on the 650b\27.5 size but still figured 29 made more sense for me. I'm a bit over 6' and don't plan on riding super technical trails. I've been out of MTBs for 10 years so it all feels new again. Started riding the woods back in 1984! All rigid frames and friction shifting in those days.

Tim

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    How do you guys feel about this topic ?
    I feel that this is a brand new topic of discussion and people should probably start arguing on the internet about it. That will surely change things for the better. You definitely shouldn't just accept it and go out and have fun on whatever kind of bike you might like to ride.

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    I feel that this is a brand new topic of discussion and people should probably start arguing on the internet about it. That will surely change things for the better. You definitely shouldn't just accept it and go out and have fun on whatever kind of bike you might like to ride.
    While most people do that , to have a company phase out 26 and then 29ers I find pretty arrogant. Im more then happy to purchase from a different brand/vendor just shocked to see this type of context coming from such a big company name .

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just wait 10 years. Everything will be back to 26". And companies will spout the greatness of the 15lb 26" mountain bike that will climb like a fallen angel going back to heaven and descend with grace of a show horse due to its 180mm travel......and this is just the xc bike.... The technology will be there.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: GIANT bikes moving to only 650 ? Feelings ? Thoughts ?

I think it's interesting considering I just bought my first 29er.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2012
    After months of waffling back and forth to get a 650b or 29er I didn't want to wait until Sept for our LBS to get in the Santa Cruz Solo. So I made the jump and bought a Giant Trance x1 29er. Got it for such a great price I could keep my Yeti 575. Well after 1 ride the Yeti is history. Sold it on Craigslist last week. Why did I what so long to get a 29er!! I LOVE IT.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    When I was shopping for a new bike this year, I would have jumped at a 650b Anthem. I ended up with a Niner, but I'll be interested to see more 100mm travel 650b frames.

I was at a Giant shop this morning and they told me this, also. Hmmm...I'm less than impressed. My wife is doubly so. The current Giant in "her size" was a 29er, and she's pretty short. She said it felt too tall and ungainly.

I rode a Surly Krampus, as I might be in the market for a fatbike next, and I don't like how it took more effort to spin up the wheels on it vs. a 26" fatbike (Salsa Mukluk). I don't think I'm sold on 29" wheels, either. I haven't ridden a 650b bike yet. Maybe it'll feel better to me.

I also tend to agree that wheel sizes might need to have some kind of size-dependency. At least an overlap for some sizes (sort of like how Surly does with the Long Haul Trucker, the smallest sizes have 26" wheels and the larger 700c/29", and a few sizes offer both as options).

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    If 29ers are removed as well as 26ers, then I am sorry, but I will buy from a company that is one of the last to switch over.
    Also, what will happen to Niner. I do not think that the name "Seven Point Fiver" is attractive.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    If 29ers are removed as well as 26ers, then I am sorry, but I will buy from a company that is one of the last to switch over.
    Also, what will happen to Niner. I do not think that the name "Seven Point Fiver" is attractive.
    I actually think that niner will be quite happy if Giant does go through with this...I don't believe that 29ers are going anywhere and that would be a huge rival dropping out of the game.

Titanium junkie
    Piss on them, I'll keep my 26ers.
    If it ain't broke.....
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    A lot of panic in this thread. Its one company. Granted, Giant is kind of, well, a giant in the industry, but its still just one company. There will be dozens of other companies willing to carry 26" and 29" wheel frames. There will be plenty of buyers willing to buy 26" and 29" wheel frames.
    The free market will determine how Giant's decision works out.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    For us tall folk (6'3" here) 29ers are the best thing since sliced bread. I'll keep my Trance x2 thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I wasn't going to buy a Giant anyway, so I really could care
    less what they do. Some day I may get a 650b, but I won't let
    anyone shove it down my throat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    I personally feel like 26 and 29 is all thats needed .
    I think a 26 and 27 is all that is needed. i feel sorry for all the poor noobs that got suckered into buying 29" XC bikes!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Why is it that nearly everyone is panicking about 27.5 inches? I've ridden road bikes with 700c and 27 inches and they feel great. They both are stable in high speed and can turn nice though not as efficient 26er. 27.5 inches is not that of a big deal anyway and if it cost the same or slightly above 26ers then no one is ripoff. In fact, I consider it a good deal.
    Last edited by chunky1x; 07-29-2013 at 06:59 AM.

Trouser Malfunction
    27.5" is just another way for casual-riders to muck up the handling with mis-matched components, making yet another large-scale design change in the industry.

Welded handlebars to stems.
    I like Sand -- I don't like Witches.

RideDirt
    Nobody is panicking , maybe some of you are reading into it the wrong way. I just find it funny that there was so much marketing about 29ers and now a big name company like Giant has enough nerve to say meh , 29ers arent that great anymore and meh 26ers dont roll good enough so were just gonna give only 1 option .

Seems like a bait and switch on their customers , kinda shitty if you ask me. I could careless who rides what , i got the wheels i need but from a business to customer point of view its pretty foul on their end .

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I agree that having omitting 26er is a bum idea but if 650b is their path, then it is their company decision. Whether or not they'll succeed, only time will tell. Maybe its time to retire 26er just like the 27er was replaced by the 700c as road bike standard. No one really knows how MTBs got the 26er got their tire size in the first place.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Did you post this in every forum? Seriously? Life goes on, don't worry about it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast