Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RideDirt

GIANT bikes moving to only 650 ? Feelings ? Thoughts ?

How do you guys feel about this topic ?

650B For Giant's 2014 Elite-Level Mountain Bikes - Pinkbike

I personally feel like 26 and 29 is all thats needed . If the 27.5 is ONLY a lil better then 26 and not as good as a 29 , whats the point ? Just seems like more sales and marketing BS as usual . Either you learn how to ride or dont ride at all . I feel like if they take 26ers out they will lose a lot of customers . I find it amusing how a company is going to dictate and tell people WHAT needs to be ridden .

26er has its place
    29er has its place
    27.5 = Marketing BS and just another way to sell " something " else .

I have a DH bike that is 26 and im not looking to upgrade as it works fine for me , im happy with it, and it does what i need it to do. I was looking into actually buying a 29er for my off season to stay in shape to climb long hills with on XC trails and i thought i would add a Giant 29er in my steed but not after some ******** move like this .

Rock and/or Roll
    I expected it. I figured most companies would adopt the same idea, and make the 27.5er the new standard, and force us to ride that wheel size.

I'm a smaller (5"8") rider, and never liked or needed anything other than the 26er. I'm sure if I was 6'+, I could appreciate a wheel size more appropriate to my frame size. I already use a negative rise stem, and flat bars on my ride, and would hate to fit a frame with even larger wheels.

OTB Pro

RE: GIANT bikes moving to only 650 ? Feelings ? Thoughts ?

I have a feeling almost every company is going to be doing this before long. I dont really see the big deal. Ill be riding a 27.5 or 29er within the next few years as it seems that 26 is dead.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I figured there will be 3 wheel sizes from here on out. I don't think it's necessary to have that much selection, but it seems unlikely to go away since there are minor benefits to small changes in wheel diameter.

I'm surprised it's not more common to choose wheel size that correlates with frame size. I can imagine a line up where the small is 26", the medium is 27.5" and the bigger ones are 29". Regardless, I ride a small 29+ krampus.

Giant has 650b and Specialized spurns it. As long as the popularity of mountain biking doesn't decline, there should be enough volume to keep prices low despite having to produce a wider range of parts. So much variability is probably toughest on bike shops, since it's expensive and risky to stock so much.

AZ
    banned
    As Giant goes so goes the industry. It makes perfect sense from a business point of view, carry one third of the inventory to serve 98% of the market.

I guess I'll have to start hoarding 29er tires now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hmm, just picked up a 2014 Anthem X 29ER 1 this weekend. I had read lots on the 650b\27.5 size but still figured 29 made more sense for me. I'm a bit over 6' and don't plan on riding super technical trails. I've been out of MTBs for 10 years so it all feels new again. Started riding the woods back in 1984! All rigid frames and friction shifting in those days.

Tim

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    How do you guys feel about this topic ?
    I feel that this is a brand new topic of discussion and people should probably start arguing on the internet about it. That will surely change things for the better. You definitely shouldn't just accept it and go out and have fun on whatever kind of bike you might like to ride.

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    I feel that this is a brand new topic of discussion and people should probably start arguing on the internet about it. That will surely change things for the better. You definitely shouldn't just accept it and go out and have fun on whatever kind of bike you might like to ride.
    While most people do that , to have a company phase out 26 and then 29ers I find pretty arrogant. Im more then happy to purchase from a different brand/vendor just shocked to see this type of context coming from such a big company name .

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just wait 10 years. Everything will be back to 26". And companies will spout the greatness of the 15lb 26" mountain bike that will climb like a fallen angel going back to heaven and descend with grace of a show horse due to its 180mm travel......and this is just the xc bike.... The technology will be there.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: GIANT bikes moving to only 650 ? Feelings ? Thoughts ?

I think it's interesting considering I just bought my first 29er.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2012
    After months of waffling back and forth to get a 650b or 29er I didn't want to wait until Sept for our LBS to get in the Santa Cruz Solo. So I made the jump and bought a Giant Trance x1 29er. Got it for such a great price I could keep my Yeti 575. Well after 1 ride the Yeti is history. Sold it on Craigslist last week. Why did I what so long to get a 29er!! I LOVE IT.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    When I was shopping for a new bike this year, I would have jumped at a 650b Anthem. I ended up with a Niner, but I'll be interested to see more 100mm travel 650b frames.

since 4/10/2009
    I was at a Giant shop this morning and they told me this, also. Hmmm...I'm less than impressed. My wife is doubly so. The current Giant in "her size" was a 29er, and she's pretty short. She said it felt too tall and ungainly.

I rode a Surly Krampus, as I might be in the market for a fatbike next, and I don't like how it took more effort to spin up the wheels on it vs. a 26" fatbike (Salsa Mukluk). I don't think I'm sold on 29" wheels, either. I haven't ridden a 650b bike yet. Maybe it'll feel better to me.

I also tend to agree that wheel sizes might need to have some kind of size-dependency. At least an overlap for some sizes (sort of like how Surly does with the Long Haul Trucker, the smallest sizes have 26" wheels and the larger 700c/29", and a few sizes offer both as options).

29ers Forever
    If 29ers are removed as well as 26ers, then I am sorry, but I will buy from a company that is one of the last to switch over.
    Also, what will happen to Niner. I do not think that the name "Seven Point Fiver" is attractive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    If 29ers are removed as well as 26ers, then I am sorry, but I will buy from a company that is one of the last to switch over.
    Also, what will happen to Niner. I do not think that the name "Seven Point Fiver" is attractive.
    I actually think that niner will be quite happy if Giant does go through with this...I don't believe that 29ers are going anywhere and that would be a huge rival dropping out of the game.

Titanium junkie
    Piss on them, I'll keep my 26ers.
    If it ain't broke.....
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    A lot of panic in this thread. Its one company. Granted, Giant is kind of, well, a giant in the industry, but its still just one company. There will be dozens of other companies willing to carry 26" and 29" wheel frames. There will be plenty of buyers willing to buy 26" and 29" wheel frames.
    The free market will determine how Giant's decision works out.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

banned
    Jan 2013
    For us tall folk (6'3" here) 29ers are the best thing since sliced bread. I'll keep my Trance x2 thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I wasn't going to buy a Giant anyway, so I really could care
    less what they do. Some day I may get a 650b, but I won't let
    anyone shove it down my throat.

mtbr member
    I personally feel like 26 and 29 is all thats needed .
    I think a 26 and 27 is all that is needed. i feel sorry for all the poor noobs that got suckered into buying 29" XC bikes!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Why is it that nearly everyone is panicking about 27.5 inches? I've ridden road bikes with 700c and 27 inches and they feel great. They both are stable in high speed and can turn nice though not as efficient 26er. 27.5 inches is not that of a big deal anyway and if it cost the same or slightly above 26ers then no one is ripoff. In fact, I consider it a good deal.
    Last edited by chunky1x; 07-29-2013 at 06:59 AM.

...but I'm a Silly Hunter
    27.5" is just another way for casual-riders to muck up the handling with mis-matched components, making yet another large-scale design change in the industry.

Welded handlebars to stems.
    I like Sand - I don't like Witches

RideDirt
    Nobody is panicking , maybe some of you are reading into it the wrong way. I just find it funny that there was so much marketing about 29ers and now a big name company like Giant has enough nerve to say meh , 29ers arent that great anymore and meh 26ers dont roll good enough so were just gonna give only 1 option .

Seems like a bait and switch on their customers , kinda shitty if you ask me. I could careless who rides what , i got the wheels i need but from a business to customer point of view its pretty foul on their end .

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I agree that having omitting 26er is a bum idea but if 650b is their path, then it is their company decision. Whether or not they'll succeed, only time will tell. Maybe its time to retire 26er just like the 27er was replaced by the 700c as road bike standard. No one really knows how MTBs got the 26er got their tire size in the first place.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Did you post this in every forum? Seriously? Life goes on, don't worry about it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Did you post this in every forum? Seriously? Life goes on, don't worry about it.
    Every forum ? No I posted it here . There was an article done from PB about it so I dunno what your talking about . Are you that dumb or just stupid? Get off my nuts bro.

mtbr member
    I think I won't be buying a Giant anytime soon. I'm more interested in long travel 29ers then 650. I've ridden one and couldn't tell any difference from a 26" inch wheel so I see no reason to complicate things with a 3rd wheel size in my bike fleet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Actually, per a local Giant dealer and this article: Giant 2014 Mountain Bikes ? XTC, Anthem, Trance And Talon Get 650b (27.5in) Wheels - BikeRadar Giant is NOT going all 27.5. What they are doing, however, is ditching 26 for 27.5 and doing 27.5 only on most low-end models where weight vs. cost becomes an issue (i.e. Talon).

Pinkbike (both the editorial staff and readers) are sort of known for their ambivalence (hatred? bat-crap-crazy-abhorrence?) toward 29ers. So to them, the fact that Giant is removing ANY 29ers means 29ers are dead in the water, which Giant DIDN'T say. They said they might go away if the market wants it. Yeah, don't hold your breath on that one. Though that thought probably gave boys at Pinkbike a tingle in their nether regions.

I ride a 29er and would not like to go down in wheel size. It just fits me. However, some men and a lot of women don't fit well on a 29er and so they should ride something smaller. Wheel sizes don't mean jack squat on how good or not good you are on bike. Just go with fits and feels right.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I say somebody should start doing 650 A - I wouldn't mind some more choices for my old Raleigh.

29ers Forever
    Giant should give options, or else they will not be a large seller of mountain bikes, that is for sure.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Come on guys, didn't you read the rules of this forum....

No posts about religion, politics or wheel size.

These topics only end up in personal attacks, hatred, and animosity between MTBR members.

Seriously though, ride what you want. No one is "shoving it down your throat", or "forcing you to buy" something you don't want to. I'm sure Giant doesn't care that you specifically won't buy a Giant now. They will still sell a lot of bikes, period.

Frankly, I am pretty stoked to try out a Trance 27.5, so open wide so I can cram it down your pie hole!!!!
    *2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (aka: Sweet Pea)

I like turtles
    I guess I just don't care. I ride what I want and am not set in my ways. I think 27.5 looks like a great size for smaller HTs/FSs and FSs in general over 29. I don't think the 29er HT and short-travel FS are going anywhere anytime soon. I will say that like them or not, the 26er is going to become scarce soon.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Giant should give options, or else they will not be a large seller of mountain bikes, that is for sure.
    Haha, that's hilarious!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Level 5 Rider!
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    I guess I just don't care. I ride what I want and am not set in my ways. I think 27.5 looks like a great size for smaller HTs/FSs and FSs in general over 29. I don't think the 29er HT and short-travel FS are going anywhere anytime soon. I will say that like them or not, the 26er is going to become scarce soon.
    That's not true at all... It will be the new kids equivalent to a 29er... lol.
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

AZ
    banned
    This is the stupidest thread in a very long time. Can we move it to the 29er forum where the rest of "Chicken Littles" are gargling the kool-aid?

...but I'm a Silly Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    This is the stupidest thread in a very long time. Can we move it to the 29er forum where the rest of "Chicken Littles" are gargling the kool-aid?
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    I like Sand - I don't like Witches

29ers Forever
    This belongs in General, so that people who love all wheel sizes can write their opinions.
    This world needs a few more people who care about 29er bikes. I can say that here because it is a "general" forum.

AZ
    banned
    Yeah, your right of course, there aren't nearly enough wheel size Zealots yet. Lets ramp this up until there is only one wheel size left, the rest exterminated. There can be only one.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Forget the dumb wheel sizes, they all still have one thing in common, they spin round and round. Bring back the old square wheels from the caveman days and y'all will suddenly ignore the difference in wheel sizes.

I didn't do it
    Make it 27.0" and I'm all in. Perfect balance in height and rolling efficiency.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by chunky1x View Post
    No one really knows how MTBs got the 26er got their tire size in the first place.
    Not true. Charlie Kelly mentions how they came about with 26" wheels. I'll find the thread and update when I'm near a computer. It's actually an interesting story.

As for the arguing - no skin off my back to have as many wheel sizes as commercially viable. I have my favorite but I don't expect to push it on anybody else.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    no skin off my back to have as many wheel sizes as commercially viable. I have my favorite but I don't expect to push it on anybody else.
    Here! Here!

****** to the dirt
    I say bring in the 36" wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

mtbr member
    Much like 98% of the bike dealers in my area, I don't give Giant much thought...

I'd LOVE to check out their bikes, same with Kona, Jamis, etc. But there are virtually NO dealers of any Giant with stock on hand, except for Performance, and they stop at the Zaskar.....

mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mudhen View Post
    Much like 98% of the bike dealers in my area, I don't give Giant much thought...

I'd LOVE to check out their bikes, same with Kona, Jamis, etc. But there are virtually NO dealers of any Giant with stock on hand, except for Performance, and they stop at the Zaskar.....

mudhen
    The Zaskar?

Uhh...ok.

(That would be GT. )

Don't be so sure about your dealer not paying attention to Giant...they likely manufacture most of the bikes you see from other brands in your shop.

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    The Zaskar?

Uhh...ok.

(That would be GT. )

Don't be so sure about your dealer not paying attention to Giant...they likely manufacture most of the bikes you see from other brands in your shop.
    Uhhh ok, at least it began with a G...

And finding an XTC within 100 miles is just as difficult...

And what does Giant being the largest manufacturer of bike frames have to do with anything? The frame is built to specs, and specs are dictated by brand. Logic dictates that they also make the worst bikes in the world, since they build 80% of the frames....

I get your point though, for sure, but do you really think any of the big hitters would have any problems finding another Chinese company to build their frames?

I think the retail bike world is a mess. I would love to try & buy many different bikes, but I can't, they simply are not in the shops. And if the shop doesn't have it, or can't get it, then often the bashing begins...

But, yrmv...

mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I have to ask, where do you live?
    There is one of pretty much everything here in this town of maybe 20,000 (but Jackson ain't exactly a 'normal' market!)

And then we eat them."

The Original Suspect
    Giant is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, seller of bikes in the world with revenues 30% greater than Trek. I doubt seriously that they are gonna sweat this.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Here! Here!
    Okay. Here too.
    Signature

sock puppet
    Yeah, your right of course, there aren't nearly enough wheel size Zealots yet. Lets ramp this up until there is only one wheel size left, the rest exterminated. There can be only one.
    Yep only one. 29"!

Good call.
    Signature

The Original Suspect
    Nice Highlander reference!

It's about showing up.
    Hmmm. And I thought the 29ers were the marketing hype?
    I don't rattle.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Mountain bikes are just a fad.

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The hell with wheel size, lets talk shoe size. I wear a size 10 which isn't the
    largest, but they are 4E which gives me great traction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    The hell with wheel size, lets talk shoe size. I wear a size 10 which isn't the
    largest, but they are 4E which gives me great traction.
    Do you ride sockless?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I rode a Surly Krampus, as I might be in the market for a fatbike next, and I don't like how it took more effort to spin up the wheels on it vs. a 26" fatbike (Salsa Mukluk). I don't think I'm sold on 29" wheels, either. I haven't ridden a 650b bike yet. Maybe it'll feel better to me.
    I think that's in your head. Wheels/tires on a Krampus are way lighter than just about any 26" fatty wheel/tire combo out there.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    While most people do that , to have a company phase out 26 and then 29ers I find pretty arrogant. Im more then happy to purchase from a different brand/vendor just shocked to see this type of context coming from such a big company name .
    Making a marketing decision is arrogant? Ok, then...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I personally feel like 26 and 29 is all thats needed . If the 27.5 is ONLY a lil better then 26 and not as good as a 29 , whats the point ? Just seems like more sales and marketing BS as usual . Either you learn how to ride or dont ride at all .

So what's the point of having 29ers, then? If you know how to ride, you don't need a 29er to mask your deficiencies. Let's just stick with 26", then.

I feel like if they take 26ers out they will lose a lot of customers . I find it amusing how a company is going to dictate and tell people WHAT needs to be ridden .

26er has its place
    29er has its place
    27.5 = Marketing BS and just another way to sell " something " else .

You've obviously never ridden a 27.5" bike. Try one first, and then share your opinion, alright?

I have a DH bike that is 26 and im not looking to upgrade as it works fine for me , im happy with it, and it does what i need it to do. I was looking into actually buying a 29er for my off season to stay in shape to climb long hills with on XC trails and i thought i would add a Giant 29er in my steed but not after some ******** move like this .
    Good for you. You like your options. I also like my options. I don't agree that Giant should eliminate a wheelsize and base the rest on pricepoint. The only way I will ever buy a 29er is if that's all that is made. I like options, but I'd rather have a standard of a good compromise than to feel the need to purchase 2 bikes for different trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm trademarking 28er. Since 27.5er is technically closer to 27" I'm sure the next marketing tactic will be to persuade you that your 27.5er is too similar to your 26er so you should buy a 28er. Doesn't roll off the tongue well though. And 30er is even worse, though it would clearly roll much better than your 29er. What about 24.5er? Even more flickable and accelerates twice as fast as your 26er. Now just imagine a 23er. Woah!
    Clearly Giant did their homework in choosing the 650b wheel size. It doesn't mean 26" is useless. It just means that's what makes business sense to them.
    As what was already mentioned: there isn't an end all be all wheel size. We all have different body dimensions and riding styles. Try them all out on a demo day and pick the one that feels right. In the meantime I'll be applying for patents on the other wheel sizes.
    2014 Trek Fuel EX 9.8 29er
    2003 Klein Palomino
    2000 Klein Adept Pro
    1999 Specialized Hardrock

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    28" has been around since the thirties or something...

28 inch (635 mm) Bicycle Tires from Harris Cyclery

And then we eat them."

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by jbn_designs View Post
    I'm trademarking 28er. Since 27.5er is technically closer to 27" I'm sure the next marketing tactic will be to persuade you that your 27.5er is too similar to your 26er so you should buy a 28er. Doesn't roll off the tongue well though. And 30er is even worse, though it would clearly roll much better than your 29er. What about 24.5er? Even more flickable and accelerates twice as fast as your 26er. Now just imagine a 23er. Woah!
    Clearly Giant did their homework in choosing the 650b wheel size. It doesn't mean 26" is useless. It just means that's what makes business sense to them.
    As what was already mentioned: there isn't an end all be all wheel size. We all have different body dimensions and riding styles. Try them all out on a demo day and pick the one that feels right. In the meantime I'll be applying for patents on the other wheel sizes.
    These "jokes" are getting a bit old.

RideDirt
    Mountainbiker2 - you have officially been butt hurt on the interwebz ...

mtbr member
    This could be some of the most entertaining reading on this forum. Maybe not just this thread but the Giant article on the main page. I love the Passion forum but this 650b stuff is pure gold.

I don't have a dog in this fight. I never took the bait and swapped my FS 26" bike for a HT 29er. But the fact that all the obvious disadvantages of 29ers that the Ninerds and Zealots completely ignored are now being touted as the major advantages of 650b is freakin' hysterical.

For 20+ years, adding weight to your wheels was considered a mortal sin. Suddenly, the laws of physics changed and wheel weight, acceleration, and quickness could be virtually ignored because ROLLOVER trumped all. Wait, not so fast, now that all those 29er HTs are 3-5 years old, physics apparently kicked back in and wheel weight matters again.

Hysterical. Keep it coming...it just keeps getting better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm 6' 6" and made the switch to a 23" 29er about a year ago. I. Will. Never. Go. Back.

For once I don't feel like a circus bear on a tricycle. I will spend my money in the future with whatever company supports 29ers.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DudeNudem View Post
    I'm 6' 6" and made the switch to a 23" 29er about a year ago. I. Will. Never. Go. Back.

For once I don't feel like a circus bear on a tricycle. I will spend my money in the future with whatever company supports 29ers.
    This

Heavylegs
    Apr 2012
    Lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by fuglio View Post
    do you ride sockless?

It's about showing up.
    The 26 is too hot, said Papa bear.
    The 29 is too cold, said Baby bear
    The 650 is just right, said Mama bear.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My wife is 5'2" tall and when looking for a new bike tried a
    29er. Of course it was to big for her. However a 650b might
    be the right choice for her.

mtbr member
    I bought my first 29er this spring and I think its the perfect fit for tall people like me. (6'2") I don't think a 27.5 would be a better fit for me. If Giant eliminates 29ers, I guess we'll always have Niners, right?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
    Hmm, just picked up a 2014 Anthem X 29ER 1 this weekend. I had read lots on the 650b\27.5 size but still figured 29 made more sense for me. I'm a bit over 6' and don't plan on riding super technical trails. I've been out of MTBs for 10 years so it all feels new again. Started riding the woods back in 1984! All rigid frames and friction shifting in those days.

Tim
    "Different strokes for different folks"

Definitely, the plus-size people would like the 29. Some would like the 27.5, smaller-riders are OK with 26.

Basically, the consumer gets choices delivered by Mfrs. "And, that's a good thing"..as per Martha Stewart.

I'm doing a 29 build right now from Craigslist bought parts. So, I'm playing with the 29 s a "test"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    The 26 is too hot, said Papa bear.
    The 29 is too cold, said Baby bear
    The 650 is just right, said Mama bear.
    Exactly. The funny part is, if people read the article not just the headline, they don't merely make the claim that 27.5" is a good compromise between the wheel sizes, but they produce all sorts of (questionable) charts and graphs to show that it has virtually ALL the benefits of a 26" AND ALL the benefits of a 29", WITHOUT ANY of the downfalls. Now that's some good marketing hype, and I say that as someone who appreciates that they are just trying to sell bikes.

mtbr member
    I don't know how many other companies have done this already, but Yeti recently introduced the ARC-Carbon, hard tail XC bike with two different size wheels. M-XL have 29, S & XS have 650b. Just makes sense to me.

mtbr member
    I ride 26" HT and really like it. 29er seem too big for me being 5'7". 27.5 is interesting, but is it the "best of both" or the "worst of both". Giant apparently wants us to believe it is the best of both.

I find it very hard separate the marketing hype and fanboy hype from reality. Thank fully I am happy with my old skool 26" HT and if I need roll over harder terrain I focus on learning to ride better. If I need a new bike then these issue will be more important. For now I will just wait and see.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5",Vassago Verhauen SS 29" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I thnk people are missing the point in the article where Giant clearly says they are going to let the market dictate where they go from the 29er standpoint.

The OPINION of the gentleman quoted says, (and I'm paraphrasing here) "I don't think 29ers will be around in two years".

1.) The statement is most likely just one way to overhype a brand new product line. Trust me there will be ton of Joe six pack types that eat it up. (I have already heard this mentioned on the trails).

2.) What is wrong with letting the market decide? As long as they continue to sell 29ers they will keep manufacturing them. Ironically the 29er zealots who are planning to boycott them are actually going to accomplish what they don't want to do lol. (Not going to happen I know). And that is have Giant weed out a very good value 29er.

FOTR, I don't see the Anthem/XTC going full 650b anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My wife is also 5'2" and rides a women's specific 29er that fit perfectly right out of the box. She loves it and wouldn't remotely consider going to a smaller wheel. It's a - what can I say - Giant Anthem 29 4W. Hers is a Small and they even make an XS.

Trek and Specialized also make women's specific 29s. So even if Giant decides to pull the plug, there will be 29s for short women.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bulerias View Post
    My wife is also 5'2" and rides a women's specific 29er that fit perfectly right out of the box. She loves it and wouldn't remotely consider going to a smaller wheel. It's a - what can I say - Giant Anthem 29 4W. Hers is a Small and they even make an XS.

Trek and Specialized also make women's specific 29s. So even if Giant decides to pull the plug, there will be 29s for short women.
    Plus one !

Height should not determine wheel size.

Riding style terrain and general preferance should.

Its alot like saying stem legth should be set by your heigth

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The bike industry is trying to tell us that heavier bikes , which turn worse than our current 26" bikes are the newest technology and hence better.

Really Giant?

And no I don't need to try one either. I can tell you that riding a DH rig uphill is a bad idea without trying it. Why would I want to try a heavier bike that turns worse than the current bike I have.

Again I don't hate any wheel size until the industry starts to dictate that one is somehow better than another, even though they all have pros and cons.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saidrick View Post
    The bike industry is trying to tell us that heavier bikes , which turn worse than our current 26" bikes are the newest technology and hence better.

Really Giant?

And no I don't need to try one either. I can tell you that riding a DH rig uphill is a bad idea without trying it. Why would I want to try a heavier bike that turns worse than the current bike I have.

Again I don't hate any wheel size until the industry starts to dictate that one is somehow better than another, even though they all have pros and cons.
    Who is the "industry", and where can I read their blog posts?

Wheel size is give and take your style will dictate what you like better. If you like hard charging rough terrain and tight techy sections dont give you much trouble a 650b might be worth trying.

Then again why change if what you have works fine? But its not like people dont play around with bar size stem legnth tires wider rims fat grips skinny grips

Bike riders like me love customizing their rides. I lile changing stuff around all the time wheel size is just another thing for me to tinker with.

Allthough itll be a long time before i have the money to do so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Who is the "industry", and where can I read their blog posts?

Wheel size is give and take your style will dictate what you like better. If you like hard charging rough terrain and tight techy sections dont give you much trouble a 650b might be worth trying.

Then again why change if what you have works fine? But its not like people dont play around with bar size stem legnth tires wider rims fat grips skinny grips

Bike riders like me love customizing their rides. I lile changing stuff around all the time wheel size is just another thing for me to tinker with.

Allthough itll be a long time before i have the money to do so.
    It would appear that the industry isn't a blog , but there is a magazine called bike industry news.

However, I would argue that the Taiwan trade show is more or less the industry.
    So far what was predicted to happen there has shown up in spades: Giant's announcement is just another proof.

With such a large concentration of manufacturing in one area they can manipulate the market of what's available.

The problem they will have is , ironically, they have predicted the Future based on the Internet , instead of seeing what people actually ride .

I recently saw a fully rigid , SS , carbon fiber 29er on a trail, and yet that is one more than I have seen of this new millienum falcon of a wheel size called 650B.

But seriously bike industry are you really trying to convince that heavier is better?

mtbr member
    are you trying to convince me that lighter is better??

I'm more interested in performance and reliability.

No one is building 24" bikes to shed weight... unless you are.

Are you?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GIANT bikes moving to only 650 ? Feelings ? Thoughts ?-bubble_bike_ngcqa_3858.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I recently saw a fully rigid , SS , carbon fiber 29er on a trail, and yet that is one more than I have seen of this new millienum falcon of a wheel size called 650B.

But seriously bike industry are you really trying to convince that heavier is better?
    I ride a 650b. Just because you don't see me doesn't mean I'm not out there. You probably wouldn't even know one if you saw it. I'm not trying to be mean, but it isn't that easy to differentiate on a trail.

Also, who is saying that heavier is better? It just so happens that one unfortunate side-effect of a larger wheel is weight. I think the other benefits outweigh (get it?) the negative, here. If you're so concerned about weight, then ditch your front suspension, disc brakes, 2+ inch tires, wide rims, wide handlebars, lock-on grips, adjustable seatpost, foam in your seat, derailleurs, shifters, seatpost quick-release clamp, thru-axle hubs, and brass nipples.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    are you trying to convince me that lighter is better??

I'm more interested in performance and reliability.

No one is building 24" bikes to shed weight... unless you are.

Are you?
    Touché. However, performance and weight are connected.
    Lighter is not always better, but generally , given choice between the two , with all other things being equal, a lighter bike is better than a heavier bike.

To tweak my original comment a little bit : if bike industry is going to tell me that adding weight to my bike is good, than they have been wrong about almost everything else for the past 25 years. My 94 stump jumper is 24lbs with zero suspension . Now days most XC FS bikes weigh that much or less.

And that is why so many people are calling this a marketing code red on 26" bikes.
    What they are telling us is the polar opposite of what they have been telling us.

mtbr member

Touché. However, performance and weight are connected.
    Lighter is not always better, but generally , given choice between the two , with all other things being equal, a lighter bike is better than a heavier bike.

To tweak my original comment a little bit : if bike industry is going to tell me that adding weight to my bike is good, than they have been wrong about almost everything else for the past 25 years. My 94 stump jumper is 24lbs with zero suspension . Now days most XC FS bikes weigh that much or less.

And that is why so many people are calling this a marketing code red on 26" bikes.
    What they are telling us is the polar opposite of what they have been telling us.
    All 3 current sizes are a compromise one way or another. What matters is which benefits are you willing to sacrifice in order to get the advantages somewhere else.
    The result should be the best bike for you.
    At the moment it is a 650b for me...

mtbr member
    No one is saying anything.

There is just a "new" wheel size that recently became availble to mass market that has new tires and forks to go with it.

So the industry is trying to sell bikes. Large biznesses use marketing to sell things.

I dont see the conspericy.

Its advertising so you will have hyperbole. It doesnt mean its all lies.

Your not being forced to buy a bike. And the. Next time you CHOOSE to buy one you will have MORE choices.

I cant see any of this as a bad thing.

More choices more better

Dont like? Dont buy!

Good, green, Oregon.
    Why is that some seem to have an issue with the following phrase.....

To each their own.

Seriously, buy and ride what you want. You are not being forced into something you don't want. That phrase works for you, the consumer, as it does for the company too. If you want to continue to ride a 26" or a 29er, have at it. The same goes for Giant. If they see value and potential (whether sales or performance) in the 27.5, they can do what they want.

I just don't get the hate and disdain for the wheel size. Maybe one of you that truly hate the 27.5 wheel can explain why you hate it so much, and feel that something is being forced upon you. It's almost as if this topic (or debate) should be moved the the "Conspiracy Theories" thread that is going on in the OC sub-forum right now. The Powers The Be or the New World Order aren't forcing you to buy a 27.5/650b. The NSA isn't going to monitor your use of a 27.5 in any way. OK, maybe they are, but my point still stands.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    Why is that some seem to have an issue with the following phrase.....

I just don't get the hate and disdain for the wheel size. Maybe one of you that truly hate the 27.5 wheel can explain why you hate it so much, and feel that something is being forced upon you.
    The absurdity of the whole wheel debate, to me, has absolutely nothing to do with wheel size. It has everything to do with the laughable way the industry is spinning this. And it's sad how many people don't recognize it.

Let's apply the same logic the bike industry uses on wheel sizes to another product -- say beer.

Beer drinker 1 "This is pretty good beer. I like this beer."
    Beer seller "Try this beer, it's much better because it has more alcohol."
    Beer drinker 1 "Yes, it does have more alcohol but it tastes terrible."
    Beer seller "This is better, though, because it has more alcohol."

Beer drinker 2 "Yes, this beer is better!"
    Beer drinker 1 "Do you like the taste??"
    Beer drinker 2 "It has more alcohol. It's better."
    Beer drinker 1 "I think I'll stick with my old beer. It tastes better."
    Beer drinker 2 "You're an idiot. Why are you drinking that beer when this beer has more alcohol?"

Beer seller "Wait. Throw away that old beer. It tastes terrible because it has too much alcohol. Buythis one. It has less alcohol and tastes better"
    Beer drinker 2 "That's good beer. The old beer had too much alcohol and tasted terrible. This one has less so it's better."
    Beer drinker 1 "What happened to more alcohol being better?"
    Beer seller "It tasted so bad we're not going to sell it again."
    Beer drinker 2 "I love this beer. Where can I buy some?"

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    The absurdity of the whole wheel debate, to me, has absolutely nothing to do with wheel size. It has everything to do with the laughable way the industry is spinning this. And it's sad how many people don't recognize it.

Let's apply the same logic the bike industry uses on wheel sizes to another product -- say beer.

Beer drinker 2 "You're an idiot. Why are you drinking that beer when this beer has more alcohol?"

Beer seller "Wait. Throw away that old beer. It tastes terrible because it has too much alcohol. Buythis one. It has less alcohol and tastes better"
    Beer drinker 2 "That's good beer. The old beer had too much alcohol and tasted terrible. This one has less so it's better."
    So 29" riders drink more alcohol?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    No, more kool aid

And then we eat them."

Good, green, Oregon.
    KevinGT, you missed the point.

You as the consumer have a choice in beer (or wheel size).

The beer maker can make whatever beer they want.

Your example makes it sound like there is only one beer maker in the world, when in truth, there are many. Choice.

Giant is just one beer maker.....oh yeah, bike maker. What about all the other makers of beer, bikes, or whatever? The entire beer industry hasn't decided to only make the higher alcoholic beer, just one beer maker.

Again, drink what you want to drink. Be an educated consumer, drink your personal choice of beer. Let others drink what they want to drink. Don't buy into the beer ads with the girls with big taddies, drink the beer that tastes better to you.

Holy crap, you would think this is rocket science here.

mtbr member
    Also there is more then one person selling bikes. Just like beer (except in kebins example)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

I think you have this all backwards. It's the 26" holdouts that are calling the 650b guys "idiots". It all tastes different to different people. That's why we have options.

mtbr member
    My uncle's boyfriend's cousin cleans the urinals at SRAM, and he says that they are moving to only producing 150mm forks in 2015. You see, 150mm forks give the perfect compromise between pedaling efficiency and downhill performance.
    When I replaced the Supermonster T's I had on my AM bike with 150mm forks I was amazed by the performance difference. It is a complete mystery to me why anyone would use anything but 150mm forks.

I expect to see 150mm forks dominating both the XC and DH world cups by 2017.

[/sarcasm]

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    My uncle's boyfriend's cousin cleans the urinals at SRAM, and he says that they are moving to only producing 150mm forks in 2015. You see, 150mm forks give the perfect compromise between pedaling efficiency and downhill performance. I expected to see 150mm forks dominating both the XC and DH world cups by 2017.

[/sarcasm]
    So I think you are saying that we need all current wheel sizes?
    If so, then I agree.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    My uncle's boyfriend's cousin cleans the urinals at SRAM, and he says that they are moving to only producing 150mm forks in 2015. You see, 150mm forks give the perfect compromise between pedaling efficiency and downhill performance.
    When I replaced the Supermonster T's I had on my AM bike with 150mm forks I was amazed by the performance difference. It is a complete mystery to me why anyone would use anything but 150mm forks.

It is I expected to see 150mm forks dominating both the XC and DH world cups by 2017.

[/sarcasm]
    Maybe not 150, but 180. And rather than just one fork, lots of different weights/stiffness/strengths, adjustments, and steerer tube options. Oh, and to change travel, just add spacers! Now maybe that would bring fork prices down a bit!

mtbr member
    So I think you are saying that we need all current wheel sizes?
    If so, then I agree.
    No sarcasm: Yes. I think any wheel size is a compromise, and different people will have different priorities. It is often difficult to see things from other peoples point of view.
    If you love smashing climbs and value rolling efficiency over anything then you may well wonder why everyone isn't on a 29er.
    If you could have starred in 'I Only Ride Park' and true your wheels every other week then the benefits of 26" wheels may be more appealing.

I think the bike industry (generalizing here) has pushed 29ers, and now 650B, because you can't sell someone something they've already got. I doubt 26" wheels are actually going to go away.

I ride bikes

In this story I am the seller, drinker 1, and drinker 2.

I love beer. I love bikes.

/thread?

****** to the dirt
    I think ever one is going in circles. Why do people think that there is a one size fits all?

Name:  anargument.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  4.6 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I love beer, but if you want more alcohol do what I
    do and drink some whiskey. Beer is weak no matter
    what.

dwt
    mtbr member

GIANT bikes moving to only 650 ? Feelings ? Thoughts ?

Top 10 lame comments about 27.5"/650b/mid size wheel:

1) only a marketing ploy
    2) not "really" 27.5" diameter
    3) 26" and 29" wheels all that are necessary
    4) rode one, but can't feel any difference from 26"
    5) haven't ridden one, but according to my calculations no different than 26"
    6) same as 26" only heavier.
    7) when will they come out with 27.875"?
    8) in 5 years, 26" will be remarketed as novel light, stiff, flickable bike and take over the market.
    9) 29" rules
    10) 26" rules.

My comment:

1) I like 27.5" wheel best because f**k you.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

AZ
    banned
    Does anyone really give a flyin fuk what wheel size your chasing down the single track? Pick one and shut up and ride the wee out of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast