Thread: Getting Lean

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Getting Lean

Has anyone got tips for loosing weight, while in a heavy training phase?

I'm 6' and 185lbs. I ride 12-16 hours a week.

Currenly a typical days food would be:

Breakfast:
    3xWeetabix

Mid morning:
    Apple or fruit bread

Lunch:
    3xBread
    1 pint milk
    1xBoiled egg
    Yoghort

Dinner:
    Pasta / potatoes / meat / bread
    Typically NO dessert

I eat meuseli bars on short rides (up to 2 hours)
    Power bars / Shot Blocks and gels on longer rides
    All ride drinks are Isostar

I'm concerned about not feeding myself for the work load I'm under, but would like to loose a few lbs.

Cheers

plays well with cows
    that would cover about 1/4 the amount of food intake in a day and im the same weight as you, but im 5'10".... i consume a bit more, taking in rice and fish, and veggies if they can keep long enough in the fridge...
    08 fsrXC pro
    04 cirrus comp
    RIP 01 Slayer

MTB Name Professor Pedals

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm no expert but from looking at your daily diet I'd start by adding more vegetables. Also, I'd go for a better breakfast. Eggs, whole wheat breads, fruits, oatmeal, cottage cheese, etc. It's arguably the most important meal of your day. I agree that you ought to make sure you are eating enough for all the training that you are doing. Too little food intake could cause your body store fat rather than burn it.

mtbr member
    I'm no diet expert either but that is a ton of carbs, especially as a percentage of what you eat. It doesn't sound like you are eating lean, so I wouldn't expect you to get leaner either.

I know carbs are good fuel, but you should probably mix in a lot more fruits, veggies, and protein. Again, not a diet expert, just going off observations. The diets I have seen for pro cyclists included lots of veggies and fish.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssushi
    I eat meuseli bars on short rides (up to 2 hours)
    I don't see why you need to eat anything on rides up to 2 hrs. I take something with me on 1.5 - 2hr rides but never eat it. It's there for IF I bonk.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssushi

Currenly a typical days food would be:

Breakfast:
    3xWeetabix

Mid morning:
    Apple or fruit bread

Lunch:
    3xBread
    1 pint milk
    1xBoiled egg
    Yoghort

Dinner:
    Pasta / potatoes / meat / bread
    Typically NO dessert
    at first glance.. i see at breakfast.. youre eating all carbs and no protein.. But im not too familiar with Weetabix. Looks like a cereal, so do you additionally have milk with it?

at lunch, between the milk, yogurt, egg, and bread.. youre probably getting more than 40 grams of fat

and youre getting lots of carbs with the pasta, potatoes, and bread at dinner before bed when youre the least active...

Everyone is different in their caloric needs, youre going to have to find out what works best for you. But if you arent losing weight, that means youre getting more than enough calories for the amount of activity youre doing.

Don't worry, be happy!
    It would be really easy to drop the bread at snack and lunch, cut it way back at dinner, and add in several servings of fruit/veggies along the way.

You might want to track what you eat for a month or so. At a site like
    http://www.fitday.com/

you can track your diet, it will tell you your percentages of carb/protien/fat, and make some recommendations.

You might also try smaller portion sizes, or try to eat 4-5 smaller meals a day.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Definately pay attention to portion sizes. You listed pasta and meat as part of your dinner options. A single serving of pasta is 1 cup. A single serving of steak is about the size of a deck of cards. When preparing meals keep that in mind.

Some other food options you could consider would be sweet potato instead of regular, whole grain rice or Quinoa instead of pasta, cottage cheese, Tuna/Salmon (healthy fats), olive oil, etc.

I'd also consider adding a snack between lunch/dinner and then another one in the evening after dinner. I'm not suggesting ice cream, cookies, cake, etc. Something reasonable. I like to have a serving of cottage cheese mixed with blueberries or strawberries for an after dinner snack.

Pedaler of dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by jsk0703
    I'm no expert but from looking at your daily diet I'd start by adding more vegetables. Also, I'd go for a better breakfast. Eggs, whole wheat breads, fruits, oatmeal, cottage cheese, etc. It's arguably the most important meal of your day. I agree that you ought to make sure you are eating enough for all the training that you are doing. Too little food intake could cause your body store fat rather than burn it.
    +1 for not eating enough. Your body may be storing fats as it's not getting the calories it needs.

And as mentioned before, drop the bars from the 2 hours rides. You shouldn't need to eat a thing for rides less than 2 hours, your body, if properly fueled, holds about 2000 calories. Enough for 2 hours of vigorous cycling.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks everyone for the advice! Loads of great stuff here (food for thought) ;0)

I'll be taking on board a lot of this advice.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    From my experience, eating healthy (a lot too) but not eating crap, and getting lots of exercise, slims me right down. You need to eat to be able to ride hard, and when you ride hard, you burn mad calories. As long as you keep riding regularly, should be able to stay slim...
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4