mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Getting laid off.. lets plan some mischief?

So its pretty certain the company I work for is soon to be laying all of us off. They are being legally pursued at the moment and its not going well. So! Rather than worry about reality and my next slave job... lets plan some mountain biking mischief!

Heres the idea. I give myself 1 month off and just go be a biking bum. I live in phoenix, and am willing to travel.

General ideas I have already:

Why? Its the arizona trail man! I've backpacked sections of it before and its gorgeous and quite interesting.
    Issues: Getting to the start and end of these trails is rarely easy. I doubt I can pursued my girlfriend to drive 2 hours to pick me up with a kid in the back.

Why? I went there for a business trip about a year ago and it is amazing there. Just so beautiful. The trails I walked on there were pretty 'flowey' seeming. Just big long trails in huge grass fields sounds pretty awesome to me.
    Issues: Weather? I think its almost out of snow season there in most areas. Hotel or bikepacking? bikepacking could be interesting but comes with additional risk.. I know people in Co who would be willing to pick me up and drop me off.

Why? Home is comfortable, bigger support group, family, also easy access to bike resources and no real travel issues.
    Issues: Bleh, its not special.

So hopefully I can get some other ideas. I tend to like more climbing and tech sections than say... downhill over cliffs? I ride a rigid SS, you can figure it out from there lol

Thanks guys!
    2008 Specialized Rockhopper -- STOLEN! *cry*
    09 Stout SE(Its like your sister, cheap and fun)

mtbr member
    sounds fun sucks about the job tho

canuck
    were you part of racer face?

co rad foo! if I had my way i would bum it up in Durango

theres a really nice hostel in town just below the college, Lemon the owner rocks.

That's damn yankee to you
    Aug 2008
    If you make further east you are welcome to come ride with the Unemployed Mountain Biker club here in western NC. Three of us are the charter members and we have spent the spring mountain biking all over the state. Our biggest fear is that someone is going to get a job!

PS-- I also went to CO for two weeks and biked different trails from Fort Collins to Pueblo. Awesome time, but still too wet to do anything at higher elevations. So have fun and embrace unemployment! This is the first time I haven't had to work since I was 16.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    You know....... whatever bike they are riding, assure them its the biggest bike of any guy you have ever ridden with.

mtbr member
    I'm a CO native who now lives in Flagstaff, AZ.

For CO there are 2 major routes across the state for bikes. The Colorado Trail (minus some wilderness that is fairly easy to avoid) which would be intense, technical riding. It goes from Durango to near Denver and it's a very popular hiking trail. But a lot of it is high elevation so isn't ridable until later summer. Camping would be required most of the time. The other option is the CO portion of the Great Divide Route, which runs from the Canadian border to Mexico's Border. It is generally lower elevation and is around 90% dirt roads with a little highway and singletrack. You could do it as early as May and is less intense. People can do it on touring bikes w/ knobby tires. You typically will be in a town with supplies no longer than every couple days. I'm doing a portion of it myself this summer.

For the AZ trail, the big downside is when it's perfect up here, it's scorching in southern AZ. And when it's nice down there, it's unridable up here. You won't be able to do the northern part from Flagstaff up for another month or so because of snow/mud. Camping is necessary a lot.

You could just load the vehicle up and follow the seasons: Rage Arizona, then go to Southern Utah, then Colorado

mtbr member
    "take **** from work" on your way out. That was the Dot Commer mantra, back in the day, and there is a half way decent song about doing just that....or don't...but that's what came to me as I read your post. Good luck, really, I'm not making light of this. No kidding, one of my pals has a 300 mile commute, so he rents a room and is away from his family all week. Times are tough for sure.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiskare
    "take **** from work" on your way out. That was the Dot Commer mantra, back in the day, and there is a half way decent song about doing just that....or don't...but that's what came to me as I read your post. Good luck, really, I'm not making light of this. No kidding, one of my pals has a 300 mile commute, so he rents a room and is away from his family all week. Times are tough for sure.
    Yes, it was from King Missile, the title of the track is Take Stuff From Work:

Meanwhile I have been mostly (minus six weeks in 2010) unemployed since May 2009. Sure, it’s nice to go riding wheneverthefack I want to (16 days so far this month, 16 days into the month!), but it’d be nice to have a job again. Trust me when I tell you that you need to FOCUS on positive thoughts—bicycling has been the ONLY thing that really works to keep my spirits up.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker

Trust me when I tell you that you need to FOCUS on positive thoughtsóbicycling has been the ONLY thing that really works to keep my spirits up.
    This is something that I can relate to and remember well. All I can say it is 100% OK to let riding be the thing that keeps you cool. It is one of the nice aspects of the vocation.

Regards,
    the fisherman

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Thanks!

Great tips guys. Really good insight about CO and NC does sound really tempting.

No, its not race face(man I wish). I work in IT. If you are super nosey you have all the info you need to figure it out. When i get laid off and start on my bum-cycling-quest I'll get a second thread about it

Thanks again!
    2008 Specialized Rockhopper -- STOLEN! *cry*
    09 Stout SE(Its like your sister, cheap and fun)