mtbr member

Getting in the groove.......

Is it just me, or is getting in the groove on a ride sometimes difficult? The first 10 minutes always seem to be more work then fun, but that usually changes. However, sometimes I just can't find that sweet spot. It doesn't seem to matter how I feel as I can feel under the weather and get in the groove rather quickly, and I can feel great sometimes and just never find my pace. What is your experiences with this?

mtbr member
    Yeah, not sure why, but it takes me a couple miles or more of riding before I'm warmed up enough that my legs stop burning badly and I get my breathing in check. After that, I'm usually good to go. There are somedays that it doesn't matter, it's all just going through the motions or even somedays I just cut the ride short. I had days like those when I lifted weights a lot too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

Tool
    Some people warm up more quickly than others, and times will vary for an individual as well.

I am typically slow to warm up as it takes me a good 20 minutes of light to moderate output before I can really get on it and last.

One thing to realize is that if you push your body into the red before you're warmed up, you may not recover during the ride. I've learned this the hard way too many times, and I've also learned that your body may not warn you about pushing too hard too soon until it's too late.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

Suckin wind like a boss
    yeah ive come to accept that even if i stretch, i still need an easy warmup ride to get in the trail groove. if i just roll right to the trailhead from the truck, my first few miles are pretty rough, and i cant always get in the groove because i burn out before i even get into it.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

All That is Man
    It takes me 20-30 minutes to warm up. Once the blood pressure goes down and HR goes down. The biggest mistake you could make in a ride is pushing too hard before warming up. I always start with 20 minutes of easy pedaling before dropping the hammer.
    John

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    yeah ive come to accept that even if i stretch, i still need an easy warmup ride to get in the trail groove. if i just roll right to the trailhead from the truck, my first few miles are pretty rough, and i cant always get in the groove because i burn out before i even get into it.
    There are some very good responses in the thread, and it's good to see I'm not alone. About stretching, I used to stretch all the time until a friend of mine who is a personal trainer told me it does more harm then good. I then researched and found many articles backing his claim. This is one of them below.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sp...112pewarm.html

mtbr member
    I agree with getting warmed-up first before really starting to push yourself hard on a ride. Experience alone has taught me this.

What makes a difference for me is that most of the time I seem to feel that I have a better ride in the morning rather than when I go for a ride after work. I love to go riding anytime I can, but sometimes it takes me a bit longer to get into that "groove."

Hell Track
    Sure, sometimes that 1st ten minutes I try to make come up with reasons why i shouldn't be working out. When it's over I feel great

mtbr member
    I think more people are like you than not.

Often I'm just not into the riding, mentally or emotionally until after I've pedaled for 10-15 minutes. Sometimes I have to talk myself into starting the trail, but when I'm into it that melts away and I feel great again.
    "Wait, this thing doesn't have a motor?" - Socrates

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swingset View Post
    I think more people are like you than not.

Often I'm just not into the riding, mentally or emotionally until after I've pedaled for 10-15 minutes. Sometimes I have to talk myself into starting the trail, but when I'm into it that melts away and I feel great again.
    That's good to know. As much as I love riding my bicycle, I'm like you, sometimes it takes awhile to get that good feeling I'm looking for.

I ride brikes, dingus'
    Yeah, somedays I want to ride forever, and somedays im just not in the groove or the mood. Im breathing heavier and hills are harder to climb, and im thinking about turning around and calling it quits. Dont know why, guess its my bodies way of telling me im old.
    You're not lost if you don't care where you are--- Tom Massie

Professional Crastinator
    The younger folks might be able to just get on and hammer - I used to time trial to work. It was less than 20 minutes and I did it every day. But any more that 20 minutes is spent at a more moderate output. Of course that doesn't mean much when you have a mean climb right out of the parking lot. You just do it. You'd probably feel better if the climb was in the middle of your ride, but it won't kill you.

And yeah, some days the warm-up never ends...

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by StopTheExcuses View Post
    Is it just me, or is getting in the groove on a ride sometimes difficult? The first 10 minutes always seem to be more work then fun, but that usually changes. However, sometimes I just can't find that sweet spot. It doesn't seem to matter how I feel as I can feel under the weather and get in the groove rather quickly, and I can feel great sometimes and just never find my pace. What is your experiences with this?
    Gotta enjoy the warm up period....

We have a trail that starts with a 15% grade for about 100 vertical feet.....that will get you going.....but no one likes it.

Parking Lot Poser
    somedays your a hero.......

.......somedays your a zero
    feelin good is good enough

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I love that I get to ride to the trails. I spin for 3 miles and by time I'm at the trail head, I'm ready.

If and when I have to drive to trails, I usually just mimic that, and spin for a bit before going for it.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Depending on your definition of warmed up, it takes me 15-30 minutes. As in, if I'm not competing and I hop on my bike and go for a ride, I take about 15 minutes to hit my stride. Unless I'm really pissed off or tired or something like that. If I'm racing, I think I'm better if I take a bit longer, about a half hour seems good.

I recover well, so I don't know that I've ever blown myself up badly enough to screw up the rest of the ride. But if I get right on and hammer, I'll feel it, and I'll probably have to soft-pedal a bit sooner or later to recover.

I really only have one riding spot that just doesn't let me warm up before throwing something big and technical at me. So most of the time, as long as I don't go out hammering, I get enough flat to rolling terrain to be adequately warmed up before I have to push myself.

Outside of race days, I don't do anything special to warm up. I just get on my bike and ride, at my non-masochistic pace.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Team Livemedium
    There are good days and bad days on a trail. So the more you ride the more good days you will have.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I have literally pedalled for almost an hour before I got into the zone...other times, seems like I had it right out of the gate. I usually start out with the easier trails then after I get my mojo on, I move to the more technical stuff.

Makes me want to get out and ride - my 8 week surgery recovery is almost done--- 1 1/2 weeks left and my bike finally gets to get out of the garage! Yeah-yaaa!
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Time varies for me. Lately, its been about 2 miles of intermediate trail before I'm warmed up. I need a few climbs, not just flats and spin.

usually cranky
    what helped me find the groove more often is where i parked. i used to park so that i could just hop on the trails. hit or miss. now i park so i have to ride like a mile of double track before getting to the trails. usually a good ride results. switching up gear helps too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hell half the days I ride I didn't want to in the first place. I man up and about a half hour in I'm totally content.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    I'm so glad I found this thread.
    I've always wounder why I would bonk on some trails, now I know. I guess the older I get the more time I need to warm up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Hell half the days I ride I didn't want to in the first place. I man up and about a half hour in I'm totally content.
    Yeah, I'm like that with riding, and the gym. I mean, I "do" want to go but I have to really push myself sometimes. 99 percent of the time once I'm done I'm glad I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock dude View Post
    I'm so glad I found this thread.
    I've always wounder why I would bonk on some trails, now I know. I guess the older I get the more time I need to warm up.
    Yeah man, sometimes it's just how it is. You are definitely not alone.