Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Getting frustrated mtn biking in my neck of the woods

Let me first start off by saying I love being outdoors, and enjoy mountain biking, when conditions are right. I have some health problems mostly with lung capacity but I can get by with stop and go. What I find most frustrating is lack of trails in my area. I'm living on Long Island where it's mostly a sandy type dirt but I'm not feeling it like I do when I visit family out west. The trails out there are awesome. This has me thinking of turning my mtn bike into a comfy cruiser and maybe getting a cyclocross bike but I'm not sure at this point what I'm going to do. Some guy I was biking and talking with on the trail today said to get a 29er instead of a cyclocross and throw some road tires on there. It would give better braking power.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Just get a proper road bike. If the trails suck, then they suck. When I move away from Colorado, my fleet of mountain bikes is getting trimmed.

mtbr member

Getting frustrated mtn biking in my neck of the woods

Wait...you live in the most congested, developed region of the country and are complaining about the lack of MTB trails?

I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    Wait...you live in the most congested, developed region of the country and are complaining about the lack of MTB trails?

Yes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    Just get a proper road bike. If the trails suck, then they suck. When I move away from Colorado, my fleet of mountain bikes is getting trimmed.
    Any particular reason for moving away from CO?

The Fastest of Bananas

Re: Getting frustrated mtn biking in my neck of the woods

Quote Originally Posted by roc865 View Post
    Any particular reason for moving away from CO?
    Army

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Army
    Could you live in CO, and where are you off to next?

The Fastest of Bananas

Could you live in CO, and where are you off to next?
    Fort Lee, Va is my next stop. No.trails

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You wouldn't want to live in CO if had choice?

The Fastest of Bananas

You wouldn't want to live in CO if had choice?
    I would, but I dont have a choice. I go where I am told.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I lived in Manhattan for a while. The trails on Long Island aren't great, but they're at least a step up from Cunningham. (No disrespect to Cunningham, it's great use of what's available.)

Are you hooked up with NYC MTB and the Long Island advocacy group? Maybe you haven't checked out all the spots yet.

It drives me a little nuts when people suggest buying a 29er and putting road tires on it. Why?? 700C wheels with slicks have a closer diameter to 26" wheels with fat tires. And road bikes come with road tires and are more fun on the road.

A 'cross bike isn't a bad idea, though. I bet you can ride a lot of your trails on it. Mixed-surface riding is popular lately, and while it's not really my thing, it might click for you. And if it doesn't, sticking road slicks on a 'cross bike gets you a road bike that gives up almost nothing to a pure massed start road racer.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

I'd rather be on my bike
    Used to live in Colorado, stationed at Ft. Carson. Excellent mountain biking there. Doesn't mean you have to trim your herd down though. Virginia should have plenty of trails there.

OP - a decent Cyclocross bike will have disc brakes, just like the 29er your friend suggested. The frame geometry will be different though. That is where you need to decide on what you want to ride, and how you want to ride it. You don't have many mountain bike trails, but you have a lot of paved roads, bike paths, bike lanes, etc. I had a cyclocross bike, but it just wasn't for me, so I sold it and now ride a fixed gear track bike on the road mainly as a commuter. There are trails here, but it is really hard to drive an hour plus each way to ride 13-15 miles of dirt, so I sold my Titus Racer X 29er. I can hit the paved bike path less than a 1/4 mile from my front door and ride for an hour and get in 17-19 miles easily.
    '13 FELT TK3 / '09 Jamis Sonik
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 3036/2500

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Used to live in Colorado, stationed at Ft. Carson. Excellent mountain biking there. Doesn't mean you have to trim your herd down though. Virginia should have plenty of trails there.

OP - a decent Cyclocross bike will have disc brakes, just like the 29er your friend suggested. The frame geometry will be different though. That is where you need to decide on what you want to ride, and how you want to ride it. You don't have many mountain bike trails, but you have a lot of paved roads, bike paths, bike lanes, etc. I had a cyclocross bike, but it just wasn't for me, so I sold it and now ride a fixed gear track bike on the road mainly as a commuter. There are trails here, but it is really hard to drive an hour plus each way to ride 13-15 miles of dirt, so I sold my Titus Racer X 29er. I can hit the paved bike path less than a 1/4 mile from my front door and ride for an hour and get in 17-19 miles easily.
    What was it that made you sell the cyclocross bike? I had a good road bike that I sold because I wasn't putting in the mileage and at the time I was living in Brooklyn and the bike was taking a beating.

DFMBA.org
    What about a fatbike?
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

I'd rather be on my bike
    What was it that made you sell the cyclocross bike? I had a good road bike that I sold because I wasn't putting in the mileage and at the time I was living in Brooklyn and the bike was taking a beating.
    For me, the cx bike on the road wasn't that fast. I was expecting it to be more like a road bike, and it was more like a mountain bike with drop bars. I slammed the stem on there, and once I did that, it felt a little faster. I then tried out a single speed with slicks, and I was sold. I no longer have any geared bikes, and I am making the switch to fixed gear for my riding.
    2014 miles - 3036/2500

mtbr member
    There are quite a few trails not too far from Fort Lee not like CO but enough to keep you riding.

The Fastest of Bananas

Quote Originally Posted by NoVA_JB View Post
    There are quite a few trails not too far from Fort Lee not like CO but enough to keep you riding.
    Good to know. Ill still be on the road bike much more, it takes some crazy trail to entertain me lately.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I feel the op's pain, being from Long Island as well. But instead of trying to find "the best trail" I've just been trying to ride the ok ones faster. I really like glacier ridge, it's fast and flowy with some tight trees that make it fun.

I have been wanting to try graham hill in pleasentville, ny. It's just outside the city and the videos I see look pretty good. That may be a nice weekend option for you.

mtbr member
    May 2014

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    As a follow up to Graham Hills, here is what you will have to do. Depending where on LI you live, forget about a quick ride for an hour or so. Your biking will need to be day trips. Drive on over to CT/Westchester /Putnam NY, make a day of it, and enjoy some of the trails and lunch over here. As mentioned Graham Hills. Also Huntington State Park, Trout Brook Valley, Cockaponsett State Forest, Mianus River Park, Blue Mountain. There are a lot of trails in the 1-2 hour driving range. Other than that, the suggestion of getting a road bike and taking advantage of what you have close to home sounds good to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    For me, the cx bike on the road wasn't that fast. I was expecting it to be more like a road bike, and it was more like a mountain bike with drop bars. I slammed the stem on there, and once I did that, it felt a little faster. I then tried out a single speed with slicks, and I was sold. I no longer have any geared bikes, and I am making the switch to fixed gear for my riding.
    What kind of frame is the single speed with slicks that you are talking about?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the recommendations guys but I'm just not willing to drive far for these trails. I've been up to Sprain Ridge which was ok but I'm not willing to go that far again and the same for some of the trails out in Suffolk County. I need to stick to the road where I live now, and than when I visit family on occasion out in AZ, I'll hit the trails out there.

I'd rather be on my bike
    What kind of frame is the single speed with slicks that you are talking about?
    Initially I purchased a singlespeed from Fixed Gear Bikes | Custom Cruiser made easy | Single Speed Bikes For Sale | Fixies and cruiser bicycles from Big Shot Bikes when they were on sale. I don't recommend this though, as overall, it is a piece of crap. I replaced nearly everything on the bike already, and spent twice as much more in upgrades than the cost of the bike. After riding road quite a bit now, I really like it. There is always the option to return to mountain biking if I wanted to.
    2014 miles - 3036/2500

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If I was stuck with urban stuff I'd get a big ripper or something.

Retro Series, BMX Bikes | SEBikes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Have you ridden Stillwell? I used to Live on LI and loved going there

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast