Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducman View Post
    Have you ridden Stillwell? I used to Live on LI and loved going there
    I have ridden Stillwell and it is a good trail. Maybe sticking with it a little longer will help and going to Stillwell maybe once a week. I think I remember it having some sandy stretches along the way that was pretty difficult to get through.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    If you need a riding buddy I'm about 3 minutes from stillwell, having a partner might make the ride more enjoyable.

Fat-tired Roadie
    If you don't ride the trails you have access to some, you won't maintain your skills. Or, I find I can get rusty. But like I said earlier - certainly I find I ratchet my MTB up and down depending on access.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    If you have any trails within minutes of your house stop *****ing. Some of us have to drive an hour + to the nearest trails that aren't even very good. At least you have close options and even better options not too far away. Not willing to check them out....well....that's on you. You have the access and options so get out and ride them or quit complaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I live in northport right by meadowlark. It's only a 5 mile loop but it's a workout. Sometimes I do 3 or 4 laps. Check out the climb website for trail info. Where do you live? Stillwell isn't too far from me. When I lived in huntington I rode my bike there but now I have to drive otherwise I wouldn't have any tire tread left after I got there lol.. There's also trails out east.. A lot less congested. Rocky point is good, I try to go there once or twice a month if my friends are available when I am. There's the website alltrails and they have a pretty decent rundown of the trails here. I just started doing Glacier 8 when I'm bored. We live on an island outside of one of the most populated cities in the world, we are lucky to have trees here.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I live in a place that requires 50% pavement to get on trails, it is what it is. I run schwalbe supermotos or geax tattoo light tires which are high volume slicks that fly on pavement and do ok on trails and are actually optimum for sand. I thought about a cyclocross bike but i would wreck on one of those not having the dicipline to stay off sketchier trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    Good to know. Ill still be on the road bike much more, it takes some crazy trail to entertain me lately.
    I hear that, mountain biking in the CO area is as close to heaven as I can imagine. I was a little surprised when I moved down to VA the trails we have here and down towards Richmond it's not as developed as the northern part of the state.
    Take a look at the VA-WV-MD forum here they have some good suggestions. I don't want to hijack the thread but if you want PM me and I'll give you some good sites to check out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Are you a member or involved with groups managing trails and advocacy in your area?

The builder and advocacy groups are usually the spot for better riding opportunities. I'm sure such groups know where to ride, know what's proposed, and know what's being worked on. Not everyone has time or interest for the trail building and politics so just joining such a group or IMBA chapter with a small check will do a lot too.

Getting involved with a group could mean find some fun you've been missing or didn't think about. I smile or roll eyes when people around me complain about some aspects of no riding because I learned different riding styles and groups open up more fun. I learned to hang with the urban, jump, trials, gravity and racer types with great benefits from that. Give it a try and good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I think a part of why I like mountain biking is the scenery it brings you. Certainly if you're hidden under trees the whole ride, it's not as fun as say some of the pictures I see on here of Colorado, California, Arizona, even overseas. NY's trails are better when you're upstate but you have to be willing to drive there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I do a ton of riding out here and have been pretty surprised at how vast some of the trails are considering where I live

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    I do a ton of riding out here and have been pretty surprised at how vast some of the trails are considering where I live

Where do you ride?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I do meadowlark a lot cause it's down the street but I also go to Stillwell and cp, rp, g8, gr.. There's actually a decent amount of trails out here but you have to be willing to drive a half hour to 45 min for the bigger ones from me

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    If the county lets me, I'd like to take a bulldozer and create a few nontechnical dirt rides
    along some of the parkways. So much open space along there for some ups and downs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The dec would probably find some reason to hate the idea.. Probably trying to save some endangered species of poison ivy

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Sometimes I make my own paths first by walking through it and scoping it out first. I'll clear some branches out of the way that are already down but maybe blocking a possible path creation. Than I just walk along looking like I'm on a nature walk, tossing branches and clearing a way. Than I go back a second time with my bike.
    This of course being nowhere near an establishing mountain biking path but I'm thinking about somewhere along a parkway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    When I lived in Florida we used to make our own trails but here every piece of land is owned by somebody who cares just enough to make sure its not used for anything ever. I hate it here. I'm looking at moving to co in a few years after my gf sells her apt and we get married

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If you make anything worth riding let me know haha I'll probably ride it. I used to go to CT, but lately I've just been lazy. I wish they would make 135 a bridge that would make it so much easier

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    When I lived in Florida we used to make our own trails but here every piece of land is owned by somebody who cares just enough to make sure its not used for anything ever. I hate it here. I'm looking at moving to co in a few years after my gf sells her apt and we get married

Won't you miss the beach and waves? The taxes here are brutal and I don't have any kids in school or married. I'm not sure what the future has in store. Hopefully marry someone loving and has money.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    That's my main problem with li.. The property taxes are insanity. Coming from Florida where they are in the 1000 dollar range paying 10k or 12k a year is a huge deal.. Nevermind house prices. I would love to snowboard and mtb in the same day lol that's my dream

mtbr member
    There are pretty much 3 options for you.

1) Ride what you have that is close and that may mean road riding instead of trail work.
    2) Take the time to drive to where you do have good trails.
    3) Move to a place with good trails closer.

I live in the far northern edge of Phoenix and I am bless with really good trails all around. However all the good stuff means at least a 15 min drive to the trailhead. No big deal on weekends, but a drag when I limited time mid week. So I also have a road bike and since I live on the edge of the city I have some good ares to road bike with limited traffic and limited stops. I can also ride all year around here, but the summers are hot. So in summer I have 3 choices. Crack of dawn (5am) starts, 7:30pm dusk/night rides, or drive 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs north to higher elevations to get rides in the 80's. Still I do what I can and enjoy. Road bike is actually good for those 6:30pm starts at 103F since I get nice 20 mph wind the entire way and as sun sets I get some shade on the route starting about 7pm. I finish at 95F. Hot, but manageable.

Point is no place is perfect and unless you plan to move you need to learn to make the best of what you have around you.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    There are pretty much 3 options for you.

1) Ride what you have that is close and that may mean road riding instead of trail work.
    2) Take the time to drive to where you do have good trails.
    3) Move to a place with good trails closer.

I live in the far northern edge of Phoenix and I am bless with really good trails all around. However all the good stuff means at least a 15 min drive to the trailhead. No big deal on weekends, but a drag when I limited time mid week. So I also have a road bike and since I live on the edge of the city I have some good ares to road bike with limited traffic and limited stops. I can also ride all year around here, but the summers are hot. So in summer I have 3 choices. Crack of dawn (5am) starts, 7:30pm dusk/night rides, or drive 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs north to higher elevations to get rides in the 80's. Still I do what I can and enjoy. Road bike is actually good for those 6:30pm starts at 103F since I get nice 20 mph wind the entire way and as sun sets I get some shade on the route starting about 7pm. I finish at 95F. Hot, but manageable.

Point is no place is perfect and unless you plan to move you need to learn to make the best of what you have around you.
    Sure rub it in.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    That's my main problem with li.. The property taxes are insanity. Coming from Florida where they are in the 1000 dollar range paying 10k or 12k a year is a huge deal.. Nevermind house prices. I would love to snowboard and mtb in the same day lol that's my dream

I pay 10K/year in taxes. Texas on the other hand has low taxes, affordable housing, and great schools. Go figure..

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Its comical how much money is wasted here. I would love Texas if they had snow and mountains. I snowboard a few times a week so I want to be by some mountains. Northern cali would be cool but they have the same wasteful spending as here. Hopefully she gets rid of her apt. Want a coop in forest hills?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie88 View Post
    I pay 10K/year in taxes. Texas on the other hand has low taxes, affordable housing, and great schools. Go figure..
    I pay 2300 a year in property taxes on a 3000 sqft home. I don't live in NYC or even NY state for number of reasons. Lack of Mtn bike trails are NOT a primary (or even secondary) reason, but a just one more thing to add to the list.

Of course there are reasons people like to live in NYC are pretty much forced to for various reasons. The only thing you can do is to make the best of it.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I snowboard a few times a week so I want to be by some mountains. ..
    You always have to live with compromise. I live near mountains, but not the kind with snow. I don't snowboard and have skied a few times, but if I do I have best case a 2hr drive one way (limited area) and most probable drive of 9hrs (Utah or Colorado) to get any good ski or snowboard in.
    Joe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast