Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Garage: Options for hanging/storing bikes?

I am moving to a house with a standard two car garage and I need find a way to fit in two cars, six bikes and all the normal garage junk In my current garage I am using these front wheel hangers ( http://www.pedalpushersonline.com/?CID=645 ) which work well but the bikes takes up a lot of space towards the cars. IMO, this isn't an ideal way to store the bikes and there must be a better method!

Has anyone found a better solution that is very space-efficient? How about hanging the bikes flat against the garage walls? Are there hooks available to do this?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Klein sits on shelf now..
    Are you looking for something like this?

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...egory_ID=6600#

I used one for a couple of years before I got a house with a huge basement. It was pretty solid and space efficient. Could be expensive for 6 bikes though. You could try ladder hooks from Home Depot.

ouch
    If you have decently tall ceilings and small cars, you could run a pulley system through the roof...

Leave the cars outside.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

wannabe corporate shill
    Jan 2006
    I don't know how small your garage is(or how big your cars are), but I use the standard bicycle hooks from Home Depot. They cost a whopping $.89 each, and work just fine. The bike hangs upside down and doesn't take up much room at all.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    When its non riding season, I used the two wheel hooks. Then I rotated the bike horizontal (fitting the bars between the joists). I then installed a third hook to grab the seat tube.Of course the hook is rotated to an "non grab postion" and the bike is swung up, and then I rotate the hook back to grab the seat tube...Are you visualing this?
    Tony

dual suspension newbie
    Jan 2006

Bonking ... not feelin' well

We used to hang our FS bikes from the ceiling (as we did in the old days when all we had was road bikes), but my husband has read that you shouldn't hang FS bikes from one wheel. I'm guessing that you shouldn't hang them from the wheels at all, which make the idea of hanging them from the frame/seatpost sound better. Maybe you could buy some inexpensive racks just to mount them to the wall! Luckily our basement is big enough that we can park our 4 bikes anywhere there's a space. We have a carport for the cars, although it's not big enough for all 3. We DO have our priorities 'though. We glassed in the old carport for a hot tub.
    Before you start making cracks about "lotsaballs soup," our tub is clean! If it doesn't look sparklingly clear, we change the water. Ain't nothin' better than a soak in the tub after a chilly ride.

Catherine

Neg reppers r my biatches
    what i was gonna say....but i think R332 is in Canda, no? I live in Southern California and have a 3 car garage and dont even park the cars inside. Given the climate, it is not a problem here for my wife to load up the kids in the car outside.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

My rack

This is what I am currently using in my garage. It holds my 4 most used bikes with quick access while the other bikes are hanging from regular hooks. This setup alows for sloping top tube bikes because it is supported at the wheels and not the frame. I've always planned on making it a little better looking but it works just fine I have never gotten around to it.
    Last edited by Bluechip; 03-18-2006 at 02:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    anyone tried this rack setup? Heck its only 29 bucks....

http://www.homeorganizershops.com/SS45020.html

I dont know how good / stable it is but i need somthing like this for my bikes. Ive collected too many this past year.

Has anyone used one of these? It doesnt appear to mount a the top or bottom. It is just free standing from what i can tell....but for that price i wouldnt expect much.

willtsmith_nwi

I drive an Altima ...

Quote Originally Posted by R332
    I am moving to a house with a standard two car garage and I need find a way to fit in two cars, six bikes and all the normal garage junk In my current garage I am using these front wheel hangers ( http://www.pedalpushersonline.com/?CID=645 ) which work well but the bikes takes up a lot of space towards the cars. IMO, this isn't an ideal way to store the bikes and there must be a better method!

Has anyone found a better solution that is very space-efficient? How about hanging the bikes flat against the garage walls? Are there hooks available to do this?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!
    I drive an Altima and my two bikes hange upside down right above my car on big "superhooks" that I got at Home Depot. My spare tires and wheels also hang from the ceiling,

dual suspension newbie
    Jan 2006

Idea!

My husband told me that he was thinking about using some roundstock wood padded with neoprene to hang our bikes in the basement. He is amazing at creating things out of nothing but scraps. He built a rack for storing paddling gear and three boats, in about two hours, just from ideas he came up with. I have no idea how he plans to affix them to the studs, but I know he can!

In that picture of the 4 bikes hanging in the basement...all have no suspension, and funky downturned handlebars; what kinda torture are you into?

Catherine

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I am currently working on some brackets make out of $1 shelf brackets, 3/4 pvc and some pipe insulation on my living room floor while watching nascar. That combination right there may prove i may be on to something.

i am using the pvc to extend the regular brackets with 3/4 PVC and some hose clamps. The brakets will mount to 2x4s that are then mounted to the wall in the garage. This will allow for one bike to be mounted to the wall above my other bike (which will probably just be on the floor.

The brackets will be mounted and spaced so that the bike rests on the headset (in front of the head tube) and underneath the front of the seat.

It should work pretty well but i wont know until i get them on the wall. At the moment i am lacking mounting hardware to put them on the wall . I will probably pick that up later in the week and get them up on the wall. Ill take pics once i am done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    nice....maybe i should have just got one of these Might have saved me some time....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Home Depot hooks to the back wheel, hook mounted into the rafter. I figure if the bike can handle me and gravity then sub-30 pounds pulling on a wheel will not hurt it. Got 4 bikes hanging this way, with a variety of forks/shocks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Leave the cars outside.

lol. what he said. i'm pretty sure i'm the only person in my neighborhood that actually uses my garage to store my car rather than a room full of junk...

i think we are the only people on our street that park outside. we dont have junk in there so we have plenty of room for bikes which is nice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Does anyone have any good ideas to add to this thread? I am finally getting everything moved into my garage and I now need to store six bikes, two cars, tool and other assorted crap in a standard double garage

Photos of garage set-ups would be great

Thanks

jl
    climb
    Photos of garage set-ups would be great
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...28468#poststop
    Ride On!

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mondaycurse
    I wondered how this hoist sytem would work, say on a garage with 24" spaced joists, could you hoist the bike upside down up Between the joists and have very little sticking down into the garage?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Very nice set-up, however my garage is to too narrow to hang bikes like that, I will need to mount them parallel to the side walls or up high to get them away from the cars. Has anyone found an innovative way of doing this?

Very nice set-up, however my garage is to too narrow to hang bikes like that, I will need to mount them parallel to the side walls or up high to get them away from the cars. Has anyone found an innovative way of doing this?
    if i am reading this correctly, mine are parallel. it works great and the hooks are only a couple bucks each. you can put them up pretty high if you want of course.

this is not the exact hook, but you get the idea....most hardware places sell em as well (eg, Home Depot). they fold up when not in use and are just attached to the wall by two large screws.

and of course if you have non horizontal top tubes you may need something like this yakima top tube adapter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

friend of preston
    Jan 2006

hanging option.

my garage has exposed trusses so i just lower the seat and hang them from the rails.
    if you have a tall car and or a short spouse this may not work.
    six bikes hanging from 2 or 3 rafters isn't much, if your house is built to codes that account for snow loading or high winds. hang them over the hood of the car.
    He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man.- Dr. Samuel Johnson

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    if i am reading this correctly, mine are parallel. it works great and the hooks are only a couple bucks each. you can put them up pretty high if you want of course.
    That Ventana looks pretty sweet ...
    Ride On!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast