Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Funny talk with a non biker

While talking with my girlfriends brother inlaw this weekend, I had mentioned that we were going to rent bikes for my gf and I. I told him what they were and that they were a lower end hybrid but very good for our ride and he was curious about what I had. I told him that i had a Trek and he said " wow Treks are expensive, they are like $300 right" I just kind of chuckled and said something like that. I have been trying to get him to start riding but he isn't very interested but I am a firm believer in if you are set up on the right bike, it makes the whole experience different. I proved that with my gf, she hated riding on her department store bike but the minute she test rode her bike, she loved it.

Just thought I would share a funny lil story.
    2014 Trek Fuel ex 7
    2013 Trek Superfly Al
    1997 Jamis Dakota Al
    1941 Schwinn Dx klunker wanna be

mtbr member
    How true. Where I'm currently living, I am sometimes asked for recommendations on bikes but have to politely beg off. How can I explain that my bike shoes cost more then they are willing to pay for a bike at the local toy store?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Rev Bubba, that is the exact truth.
    2014 Trek Fuel ex 7
    2013 Trek Superfly Al
    1997 Jamis Dakota Al

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    How true. Where I'm currently living, I am sometimes asked for recommendations on bikes but have to politely beg off. How can I explain that my bike shoes cost more then they are willing to pay for a bike at the local toy store?
    You start off with asking how much do they want to spend? Then more likely than not you refer them to craigslist. Bring them into the sport rather than exclude them because of inability/unwillingness to spend cubic dollars. If they stick with it they will come to their own conclusions on value versus dollar spent. Win all the way around.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    That is actually my first method as there are a lot of good quality bikes on Craigslist in his area. I figure if he could pick up an older good bike for a $150 or $200 that would be a fantastic start. I told him that I would at least take a look at his whatever brand bike now and see if there is any way to help him out. Just one of those things that you want to push but not too hard just to get them on a healthier track.
    2014 Trek Fuel ex 7
    2013 Trek Superfly Al
    1997 Jamis Dakota Al

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It's hard to make someone interested in something. The people I have introduced to the sport have come to me. They were friends or family that saw that I did it and asked for my help. But it's kinda hard to tell someone who isn't interested hey, invest 1k in a sport you have no interest in.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    We're talking people looking for beach cruisers who are perfectly happy to let their bike rust into oblivion over the winter months. They know my wife and I make room in our very small island condo for two bikes and three surfboards with a third bike in the back of my car and think we are strange for wearing helmets and can not comprehend why we do it.

No, I do best by remaining silent. When they spend their $100 I say "nice bike" and "have fun."

Inspector Gadget

I usually reply with. "A lot " when asked about price and let them draw their own conclusion. Yes, some conversations are funny with non- riders. Usually it's more of a you're crazy or it sounds like too much work kinda thing. But they are perfectly happy rotting indoors at a musty gym. I don't get that one. I'd rather be outside
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I learned a long time ago - you don't go into any depth about your cycling addiction, with those who don't ride. They never get it, and think you foolish.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I tell people that all hobbies are expensive. Whether you want to get into photography, painting, mountain biking, golfing, snowboarding, whatever. All gear is expensive no matter what it is. So if they look shocked, well.. They probably don't do much. I live in long Island though, and most people have some disposable income around here so it's not crazy to drop a few grand on a bike. In Florida where I used to live, yeah.. You tell someone that your bike costs more than they made last quarter and thats harder for them to understand.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    Yeah, I learned a long time ago - you don't go into any depth about your cycling addiction, with those who don't ride. They never get it, and think you foolish.
    This ^^^^
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Update.... My girlfriends brother in law ended up buying a used Trek 820 and is loving it. He is now a believer that a good bike trumps a department store bike every time.
    2014 Trek Fuel ex 7
    2013 Trek Superfly Al
    1997 Jamis Dakota Al

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzwardo View Post
    Update.... My girlfriends brother in law ended up buying a used Trek 820 and is loving it. He is now a believer that a good bike trumps a department store bike every time.
    success

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    I tell people that all hobbies are expensive.
    I read this thread and a phrase crossed my mind that bartenders use when people ask the price of a drink; "if you have to ask about the price of a drink, you probably don't have enough money to be drinking".

A hobby I've had that cost me the least amount of money to practice is metal and PC component scrapping/recycling. That one actually pays. The most expensive hobby I've ever been involved with was league speedball-paintball. The only hobby that has had no expense to practice(well, I guess gas money is an expense), as well as no monetary return, has been assembling driftwood into standing abstract art at the beach.

I've been able to draw two friends and a family member into buying Craigslist MTBs for going on trail rides. Time will tell if they decide to buy a more expensive, new bike with a warranty.
    Observe, report.

mtbr member
    Some of those people with whom you discuss price are the same people who will say. Dang I paid almost that much for my last set of golf clubs, or my camera or my RC setup was 1000.00 and I have all of the good stuff. Cost vs reward is relative.
    The bike doesn't make you go fast.
    You make the bike go fast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Tell them you have 9 bikes ( like me) and watch their faces. Priceless.

mtbr member

My dad came over to the house a few years ago and asked about my bike. He said "that must have cost over $1000." I said "yup. And over $2000 and over $3000 and over $4000."

He was shocked. "Over $4000 for a bike and it doesn't even have pedals?!?"

"Dad,those eggbeater looking things are pedals"
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I went out to buy my first MTB as an adult and set myself what I thought to be a lofty budget of $1k, thinking "that's 10x what my bikes as a kid cost, it'll be NICE if I am willing to spend that much". Boy was I shocked when I arrived at the bike shop...

mtbr member
    "That must be one of those expensive $500 bikes"
    *Not a real mountain biker

Dirt Junkie
    I usually steer the discussion away from money and towards bike travel destinations and maybe wildlife I've seen.

If they are still interested, I show them scars.

No one understands the money thing.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mbtr member
    Total non-riders... i just tell them about my experiences. Everyone understands how cool it is to ride to the top of the local mountain after work, have a bbq, and fly down with only flashlights.

Or go to the Sierras, camp, ride, indulge, camp, and ride... for the cost of food and indulgences.

Or sneak off for a day and get high on endorphin/adrenaline slurry.

For those really interested in what i do... i have 2 really nice, fun bikes. I plop them on top of one of them and tell them that they don't have to worry about breaking things. They never do, and we go out and do easy, fun singletrack at a venue that fits their skill set. Most curious beginners figure out how much fun they could be having really quickly, and then they recognize the bike is just the cost of entry.

It's not about money, it's never about money and people who want to talk about money make me bored and uncomfortable.

I'd rather be on my bike
    "Oh, you paid that much for a full suspension bike?"

"I got one just like it at Wal-Mart for $99"

I used to get that a lot.
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 2040/2500

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm 5'8 and 170lbs and my friend is 6'5 and over 200lbs heavier than me... And he wanted to take my fs for a spin. I was like yo my rear shock is more than your car payment lol

mtbr member
    I can barely believe what I paid for my newest bike and sometimes wonder if I'm an idiot for doing it. And mine is towards the bottom models in the range. I try to evade money discussions. But if they ask I'll tell them. I'll also explain what I do on it. How much time I spend doing it and why it was worth it to me.

Must people seem to get at least that it is a very capable bike and let's me have enormous fun and be healthy. And I'd they have been to the areas I ride understand the need for a capable bike.
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon XP

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    It's not about money, it's never about money and people who want to talk about money make me bored and uncomfortable.
    Seconded. I used to work with a guy that did this all the time: "I just got a new tv, it cost me this much..." about everything he bought, or he would say "how much did it cost you...?" for anything someone else bought.
    NTFTC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast