Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    A coworker of mine asked how much my carbon fiber superfly was and I replied with "2". His response was "Oh, $200? That's not too bad.". I just looked at him and slowly shook my head, he then said "you're fvckin nuts! 2 thousand?!"

mtbr member

Re: Funny talk with a non biker

Most of my friends and family think I'm nuts for how much I spend on cycling, but my response is: It's a small price to pay for a hobby that keeps me happy and healthy. Cycling does a lot more for your physical and emotional well being than most any other hobby.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    It's really funny that people have no problem spending $2000 a year on Cable TV and Cellphone contracts but think that a bike is too much money. It's too much money because most people aren't interested in exercising.

I just got back from a cruise vacation. It wasn't my first choice but it wasn't bad. They had a spin class available so I went and signed up quickly so that it didn't fill up. hahaha! There were over 2000 passengers on that ship and you know how many people showed up to spin? Six. That's right 6 out of 2000. And it was a really good class!

That's why most people think a bike is a waste of money. They're fat and lazy and have no intention of ever spending more than 15 minutes on it.

If people would sell their TV's and buy a bike there would be a lot less fat asses out there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    In many ways, the mountain bike thing is cheaper than a lot of hobbies:

Price out a modestly-equipped bass boat and base-level SUV to drag it around. Price out a decent set of golf clubs, club memberships (at least 2) and green fees for 6 or so weekends a year. How much did you pay for that powered hang glider?

Now price out two mid-level MTB's, a rack for your Cherokee, and enough sports and camping gear for two days.

If you're talking with people that never leave the yard (or couch)...why?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It's all about priorities. I cook at home most of the time, because eating out is expensive. We also don't have cable because we are never home to watch it. We have Internet though our neighbor who we run a cat5 cable to and use our own router and pay home 20 a month for sharing it instead. We download movies and use Netflix, thats about it. There are so many ways to fit a mtb into your budget if you make the sacrifice. I drive and older car because car payments cost money. We bought my gf's 08 jetta for 8k with 40k miles on it 2 years ago because she needs a reliable car for work. People ask me how I afford my bike's.. Well, I look for deals, I upgrade when things break.. And my fat bike I bought off of bd because I didn't want to spend 2k. It's pretty easy actually. I snowboard in the winter and go every week from long island. I buy tickets off liftopia for 25 bucks and split gas and tolls with friends. Not that expensive. So if you want to do soemthing you can find a way. I'm sick of people criticizing my lifestyle because I do all the things they're unwilling to make the compromises necessary to do.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I fix and tune up my friends and coworker's bikes. I like doing it and now that I have learned how to do almost everything short of servicing shocks it's easy and fun.

I replaced a few parts on a friend's solid but chunky department store bike, adjusted the derailleurs and the brakes, cleaned and lubed the chain, and basically had it running like new but he was distraught to the point of abstraction that I had removed the two pound kickstand.

He said he wanted to ride the local trails. I guess I should have known better. The first thing people ask me about my bikes is, "Where's the kickstand?"

mtbr member
    Pretty much every hobby is really expensive if you get into it and start getting the good stuff.

My mother-in-law has a sewing machine that cost over $5000, and my sister-in-law has cake pans that run about $350 a piece. They really like to sew and bake, respectively!

No reason to have an attitude about it. When someone casually asks what my bike costs, I just reply that I don't remember, but it is probably my favorite thing I've ever bought.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Why is this thread all about the cost of a bike? There are a LOT of reasons non-riders think we are crazy. The blood and scars are one. The jumps and drops. The rock gardens. The long grueling climbs. The 6:00AM predawn rides. The 10:00PM winter rides in the snow. Lots of reasons people think we are nuts but all are also reasons to love the sport.

Who cares how much the bike costs! Give a guy a $69.95 Walmart special and send him down a hill and over a small foot high jump and you will have him doing sprints back up the hill to do it again. Maybe when he breaks that bike he will buy a better one. Who cares? Its a hobby, its supposed to be fun.

I also don't get why people keep harping on the health benefits and the exercise and such, who cares! It could be as healthy as smoking in a asbestos mine and I would still be out having a blast riding! Its about fun. If you get exercise as a byproduct then that's all well and good but if that's all it is to you then I bet your going to quit soon just like all those people with gym memberships.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I think we bring up money because the number one thing non riders want to talk about is money. My friends who don't ride think I'm crazy for the money I spend, not the risk I take because they aren't there to see it. They just see the money spent, because they have different priorities. I ride partially to stay in shape. So for me, they think I'm crazy for the money I spend, and I think I'm in better shape because of it. Plus I like it.

29ers Forever
    While talking to some friends at lunch I brought up the subject of mountain biking. Someone asked how much my bike cost and I said I paid $960 for it brand new.
    They were surprised that it cost so much and they said "I would never spend THAT MUCH on a bike".
    And then they thought I went mad when I told them I was thinking about buying a $2000 bike.
    That's non bikers for you.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    He said he wanted to ride the local trails. I guess I should have known better. The first thing people ask me about my bikes is, "Where's the kickstand?"
    I used to bike with someone who had a kickstand. He thought it was really practical and thought I was insane for not having on on my bike.
    I said it looks bad, wimpy, and when you stop riding you can lean the bike up against a tree or wall, or on the ground.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

I didn't do it
    I've never had a non biker ask me how much my bike costs. I always thought that since they have no point of reference it would never cross their mind that the bike is an expensive piece of equipment.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I tell everyone the same story of my friend who got a kick stand through her thigh... They usually ask me if I have a tool to take it off with me lol.. I don't ride with people who have kick stands that **** stays home.

mtbr member

Re: Funny talk with a non biker

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    I've never had a non biker ask me how much my bike costs. I always thought that since they have no point of reference it would never cross their mind that the bike is an expensive piece of equipment.
    The problem is for most people, their point of reference is a $100 wal-mart bike. Any legitimate bike looks outrageously expensive compared to that.

I've heard "you paid $1200 for THAT(hardtail)?? I got one with full suspension for $100!" several times.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    People who don't know bikes can't recognize the difference between cheap components and quality components, a wheel is a wheel to them, if they see a steel wheel on a Walmart bike and a carbon wheel on a high end build they see two wheels, that's it. The best way I could think of explaining it would be to use cars as a comparison, since most people can tell inexpensive cars apart from expensive ones. You can use any cheap clunker to commute around town, but you need a very expensive sports car if you want to drive fast on a race track. You're not riding down the street or bike path like them, you need a more expensive bike that is much lighter and stronger so you can ride fast around difficult trails. If they can't understand why you would want to ride like that then they probably have a hard time having fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2