Thats not a picture of me

Full road ride on my full susser Norco Buzz

Well its coming round that time where i gotta hang the bike up for colder windier days and rely on my scooter for transportation. Usually at around this time i do one big ride with my mountain bike- a small road ride usually 40-60k brings me from the city into the country up and down some very nice hills into the land of sideroads and concessions. It got me thinking can mountain bike components actually take the rigors of road riding? I know they are a lot stronger and rugged and what not but is the drive train really meant to take all those hours of continuous use? And will the bearings in my external bb hold up? Also what do you feel about road rides with Mountain bikes? Do you think i will be exponentially more tired with a mountain bike than with a road bike, or for the short distance of 50 k it wont really matter?

P.S-Yes i know my frame is old and it sucks a new one should be in the mail by weeks end.
    why don't you save me some trouble and kick your own ass?

mtbr member
    You will be tired, very tired. But honestly, im rofl waffle-ing about the whole "Will my DH bike hold up to road riding?" comment

I've taken a wrong turn on the trail a few times before and ended up having to do a few miles of road riding to make up for it, it's not that bad.

hey im not worried about the frame cracking or fork bottoming out if thats what you were thinking
    im talking about the little things the bearings, the teeth on the chainring, will it start squeaking half way into the ride yada yada cuz i dont want to be taking a cab home from nobleton. Basically im just concerned about the endurance of the parts. Im buying a road bike next year so i can spend more time on the road, im pretty sure one ride wont kill it but last year my rear shock developed a little squeak every time i pedaled and it was very annoying for 20 km and embarrassing when i got back into the city. I run my rear very stiff almost hardtail-like so it wont suck the life out of me, but it can still make noise time to time.

and ive done rides like this several times on this bike, i know its actually not that bad if you dont mind being passed by roadies but i was wondering if like drinking a litre too much of water a day if this had some not-noticeable dangerous affect on one's body.

Currently in Exile
    NO!!

If possible throw some street tires on it. Make sure the cahin is lubed and have a nice ride!
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

yah thats the other thing, im worried about the powerlink chain i heard they are weak, i haven't experienced anything wrong with it when riding on the trails but im worried the constant pedaling may snap it should i carry a spare kmc chain with me?

and yes im giggling a little writing this

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by potvinwannab
    yah thats the other thing, im worried about the powerlink chain i heard they are weak, i haven't experienced anything wrong with it when riding on the trails but im worried the constant pedaling may snap it should i carry a spare kmc chain with me?

and yes im giggling a little writing this
    I've had the worst biking experiance in my life, caused by, you guessed it, the SRAM Powerlink. Ended up 10 miles away from civilization in the White Mountains with no drivetrain. Stupid thing worked itself loose and fell off once, but was able to find both the pieces (after quite a bit of searching), but about 5 min later it fell off again and was gone for good and i was screwed.

I now use the single use KMC missing links.

Double-metric mtb man
    I've done a full century (100 miles / 161 km) on my FS mtb. It can be done, but I would strongly recommend slick tires. You will be tired, but it is great to be able to say you've done it.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Professional Crastinator
    Dude, I ride a rigid 29er. It's practically a road bike. Pump up the tires to about 60 psi and go. No problem.

I've also done the Bike Ride Across Georgia on a rigid RockHopper with 2.1 Ritchey MegaBite tires. No problem. At the time, I was "in shape". Avg. speeds were ~20mph for the entire week with 3 buddies drafting. We picked up quite a few extra buddies along the way.

-F